Things that used to be free...

I'm guessing that must be common most places. A few years ago I needed air and stopped at a gas station in Ohio. Didn't have change, so I went in and asked for change of a dollar for the air machine and the clerk just said "No need; I'll just turn it on for you."

Apparently it wasn't my stunning good looks after all. :facepalm:

Used to be free:
-checking bags on airline (ok not LUV)
-shopping bags at grocery store
-perusing SeekingAlpha
-accessing news websites online
-discarding electronics
-tea and coffee refills
-watching TV

Still Free:
-Daydreaming
-Posting on ER.org
-Going on walks or bike rides
-sightseeing
-casual conversation
-counting blessings

Many State or National Parks (US and abroad), historic sites, museums.

Ex: I recall visiting Stonehenge in the 70-ies and you could roam freely (and without admission fees) around the entire monument. When I took my family back there in the 90-ies, most of the site was roped off and today, the admission fee is a whopping 19.50 Pound per person...... wow!

Used to be free:
-discarding electronics

Yep, that one really irks me. Paying $20 just for the privilege of discarding my old computer monitor (in an environmentally friendly way) feels a lot like "no good deed goes unpunished".

We got an Uber Eats coupon for $20, so I'm about to place a very rare (for us) delivery order to a local restaurant. In addition to tax, and requesting a tip in advance for the driver (since I have no cash to hang on the door for him/her, I'm adding one, but not the 20% suggested), they have added $4.50 in "fees." No explanation, just "fees."

I'm told this has to do with averting damage to the site, caused by stupid, careless visitors. You wouldn't think people could damage gigantic stone slabs, but given enough of us, we can mess up just about anything :mad:

Ex: I recall visiting Stonehenge in the 70-ies and you could roam freely (and without admission fees) around the entire monument. When I took my family back there in the 90-ies, most of the site was roped off and today, the admission fee is a whopping 19.50 Pound per person...... wow!

I don't think of it as paying for air. It's the cost of using a machine.

There was one free-air machine left, where I used to live. It was also an excellent and honorable garage.

Where I am now, you not only pay $3.75 (quarters) for air at all stations. For your money, you do not even get enough time to fill all four tires. (And I'm fast).

Only $1.50 by me and they give you 5 or 6 minutes, which is enough as I also take off the caps ahead of time.

Used to be free:
-shopping bags at grocery store
-perusing SeekingAlpha
-discarding electronics
-tea and coffee refills
-watching TV

Still Free:
-Daydreaming
-Posting on ER.org
-sightseeing
-casual conversation
-counting blessings

Bolded by me - still free in our area.

Air and water. Two basic necessities of life that should be free. Not so at many gas stations any more.

The air is free...it's all around you for the taking. The challenge is capturing the air, compressing it, then delivering it back to you in a form that is useful.

And water? No real need for that anymore (at a gas station).

We're lucky then. There are two gas station/convenience store/made-to-order sandwich chains in town that both have free air and they are everywhere. Plentiful enough that if your first stop has a broken machine, you'll only need to go a couple miles to the next one.

And one of them has free ATMs! [emoji16]

Perhaps my response should go in the rant/get of my lawn! thread, but the word "FREE" is probably one of the most misused words out there. Rarely is ANYTHING truly "free"..."included with purchase"? Sure, but "free"...not so much.

Used to be free:
-shopping bags at grocery store - still free to me
-perusing SeekingAlpha - still free to me

-discarding electronics
-tea and coffee refills - still free to me
-watching TV

Still Free:
-Daydreaming
-Posting on ER.org
-sightseeing
-casual conversation
-counting blessings

I don't pay to peruse SA. I am a member, but not "premium" level.

Yep, that one really irks me. Paying $20 just for the privilege of discarding my old computer monitor (in an environmentally friendly way) feels a lot like "no good deed goes unpunished".

I think this is simply because most aren't recycled anymore. There are tons of pictures of recycling facilities around the world that are nothing but massive dumps of our unused crap. But don't worry...if Elon can [-]launch[/-] discard old cars into space, it won't be long before WM gets in on that game. :blush:

Where I am now, you not only pay $3.75 (quarters) for air at all stations. For your money, you do not even get enough time to fill all four tires. (And I'm fast).

$3.75? Now that is insane.

Near me it appears the gas stations I frequent most have reversed trend and gone back to "Free Air", with signs out front to promote it. And one has the new digital version of the old style air station where you would crank in the desired pressure. Pretty accurate too, matches the car pressure measurement to within a PSI.

I have mixed feelings about that- I'm hoping that the $$ really does go towards environmentally friendly methods rather than sending it someplace in Africa where people desperate for money tear it apart with no protection against whatever they're touching or inhaling, and throw the parts they don't need someplace where it leeches into the groundwater. I listened to a Radio France documentary, forget which country in Africa, where heavy metals were found in mothers' milk.

I'm also annoyed at having to pay for air and I now have a compressor at home.

I guess this should go into the "opposite" thread but air compressors are actually a good example of something that used to be quite expensive but is now (close to) FREE. Less than $10 anyway, so really no need for anyone to go to the gas station anymore.

We got an Uber Eats coupon for $20, so I'm about to place a very rare (for us) delivery order to a local restaurant. In addition to tax, and requesting a tip in advance for the driver (since I have no cash to hang on the door for him/her, I'm adding one, but not the 20% suggested), they have added $4.50 in "fees." No explanation, just "fees."

I got an offer from Uber Eats too, but did not use it, so do not know how it works.

Is the $4.5 the fee paid to the restaurant? Perhaps the $20 only covers the delivery cost, and the restaurant charges extra for packing?

I guess this should go into the "opposite" thread but air compressors are actually a good example of something that used to be quite expensive but is now (close to) FREE. Less than $10 anyway, so really no need for anyone to go to the gas station anymore.

For the homes, of course I have large compressors for air tools. For the car, for years, no decades, I have had a small 12V compressor in the trunk for emergency use.

A brother-in-law who lives near me, despite being a multi-millionaire, used to find it more convenient to come and borrow mine than to buy his own. He stopped doing it for a while now.

Then, just recently he said that Costco now no longer checked his tires as a free service. Instead, they had mounted a compressor outside the tire shop, and directed customers like him to do their own.

I guess I am different from my BIL, in that I find it a lot more convenient to spend a little bit of money to be able to do something myself, than to drive around asking for help or to borrow tools on a frequent basis. And how long did he have to stand there to wait for a Costco guy to free up to check his tires? I forgot to ask him that.

Last edited:
I guess I am different from my BIL, in that I find it a lot more convenient to spend a little bit of money to be able to do something myself, than to drive around asking for help or to borrow tools on a frequent basis. And how long did he have to stand there to wait for a Costco guy to free up to check his tires? I forgot to ask him that.

This!!! Agree 100%

That said, my FIL used to ALWAYS have his tire pressure checked when he went to Costco (once a week, maybe). He absolutely LOVED collecting freebies of ANY kind, including free pressure checks.... When he passed away, we disposed of many trashbahgs full of little free gizmos he collected at trade shows, sporting events, etc. It was his hobby.

This!!! Agree 100%

That said, my FIL used to ALWAYS have his tire pressure checked when he went to Costco (once a week, maybe). He absolutely LOVED collecting freebies of ANY kind, including free pressure checks.... When he passed away, we disposed of many trashbahgs full of little free gizmos he collected at trade shows, sporting events, etc. It was his hobby.

I guess Costco did this free service to appease the portion of their members who felt that this privilege was truly worthwhile. That tire check alone was worth the annual membership, perhaps. :rolleyes:

Then, they found out that it distracted too much time from their service guys, and had to call it quit.

I guess Costco did this free service to appease the portion of their members who felt that this privilege was truly worthwhile. That tire check alone was worth the annual membership, perhaps. :rolleyes:

Then, they found out that it distracted too much time from their service guys, and had to call it quit.

But they have a missed opportunity. They should give everyone who asks for a pressure check a brand new $15 (list price) pressure gauge. Would probably cost a buck or three, but would guarantee re-enrollment for a few years.

I don't pay to peruse SA. I am a member, but not "premium" level.

3 articles a month or something?

Edited to add: they have sharply cut down the free content but it looks the site is no longer linked to my account.

Last edited:

Then, they found out that it distracted too much time from their service guys, and had to call it quit

Very odd. When I had new tires installed @ Costco, they were filled with nitrogen. While I am not convinced this is necessary, they did tell me that I can "swing by" anytime to have them checked...and as far as I know, there isn't a nitrogen filling station there (for customers to use) and adding ambient air defeats the purpose of nitrogen-only. Perhaps they have modified the policy to those that purchase tires @ Costco?

But they have a missed opportunity. They should give everyone who asks for a pressure check a brand new $15 (list price) pressure gauge. Would probably cost a buck or three, but would guarantee re-enrollment for a few years.

But, but, but there will be people who come by every week to get their "weekly" free pressure gauge.

Costco guys would have to log into their computer to note who has been given a pressure gauge, and who has not. Lots more work!

You cannot win.

PS. No. People will ask how they are going to fill their tires if the pressure is low. You've got to give them a free compressor too, to go with the pressure gauge. Costco definitely cannot win!

Last edited:
About the only free thing I miss is the content of WSJ and Bloomberg Web sites.

Now, I would not mind paying for a subscription (I used to subscribe to several monthly and weekly printed periodicals), but their fee is way too high.

Back
Top Bottom