Things that used to be free...

I love those, and I've used it once. Many of them also have USB outputs so you can recharge your phone when camping or wherever.

I used mine a few times with my old car. I didn't drive it much so the battery went dead fairly often. The battery sure beats jumper cables, especially when no one else is around.

I bought jump start batteries for my wife and daughter's cars too, but I don't think they've ever had to use them. I try to recharge them every 6-12 months or so to ensure they're ready to use when we need them.

Nothing is free except sunshine, the air you breathe and your thoughts and if they could figure out how to they'd tax it. One way or another, you pay for "free" stuff.

Yeah, I'm whining about something that isn't a big deal, but I never understood the restriction on reusable bags. First of all, I've never heard of anyone getting COVID from a reusable bag (or from any object for that matter). But more important, what about the 40 other items I touched when I put them in the cart, and touched again putting them on the belt at the register? Surely they could be exposed to COVID from those items just as easily as my reusable bags. The whole thing seemed to be based on fear more than science and common sense.

In any case, I follow the rules and whine about it on this forum... :)
There was a lot of uncertainty at the beginning of the pandemic. Remember the doctor on YouTube explaining on how to carefully wash your groceries when you got them delivered? Heck, I washed them for months. Remember people washing sidewalks with disinfectants? We are building this airplane as we fly it.

I fill my tires for free at home and get at least 78% Nitrogen in the process. If i use the bicycle pump I also get some exercise to keep my beefcake figure for my wife :D or I could use the little electric pump.

Cheers!

Oh, I know. I am a firm believer that the nitrogen deal is nothing but a rip off. I saw someplace that had a large banner touting the fact that fighter jets use only 100% nitrogen in the tires...so it's gotta be good for your grocery getter. :cool:

I have not read up on what the justification is for nitrogen use, but I can assure you that oxygen is a larger molecule than nitrogen (molecular mass 32 grams per mol. Vs. 28 grams per mol for nitrogen).
My guess is that it’s use has to do with the fact that oxygen can slowly degrade rubber over time, while nitrogen is chemically very inert?

In aviation it is used to reduce the content of moisture and minimize pressure changes. In the C-130 we normally just used ambient air for the tires(low altitude) but the C-5 (and other high altitude airplanes) used nitrogen. Also, all the surge suppressors (air), shock struts and for inflation of escape slides and life rafts. Also, many large jets use nitrogen to reduce the amount of oxygen in fuel tanks to reduce explosion risks.

The primary reason for the local shop tries to sell it for your Honda Accord? Pure profit.

Last edited:
Nah, youse guys got it all wrong. Look at these kids, who filled their tires with water. Yes, water. How is it going to leak at all? :cool:

Skip to 2:00 on the video to see them start driving. Of course, the unsprung weight is all messed up, but you've got to give up something.

Nah, youse guys got it all wrong. Look at these kids, who filled their tires with water. Yes, water. How is it going to leak at all? :cool:......
I filled the tires on my Kubota tractor with windshield washer fluid. Made a heck of a difference with stability and traction. And didn't freeze.

An ER Forum discussion of this very topic, allowed me to ignore the salesman's N-tire sales pitch when we bought our current car. I pointed out that all tires are filled with at least 78% N, so why pay so much more for a mere 22% extra?

He spread his hands and made a face like, "Oh, OK, have it YOUR way pesky female"

I wouldn't put it past some people to try to scare you that "You know, the 20% of O2 is flammable! If the car catches fire, your tires will explode!" You think nobody would try this, but I have heard my share of stories involving explosions.

Another fact is that the nitrogen is typically very low moisture, whereas regular compressed air has higher moisture content. This moisture does expand and contract more with temperature. So in theory the nitrogen is better for temp pressure variations.

That said, I think the whole nitrogen in tires is just a gimmick to make extra money. On a normal passenger car or truck application it doesn't make enough difference to justify the use and cost. I use regular old compressed air in my tires of all my 10 vehicles. I have my own compressor and can check my air pressure at home instead of trying to find air when in town.

An ER Forum discussion of this very topic, allowed me to ignore the salesman's N-tire sales pitch when we bought our current car. I pointed out that all tires are filled with at least 78% N, so why pay so much more for a mere 22% extra?

He spread his hands and made a face like, "Oh, OK, have it YOUR way pesky female"

I wouldn't put it past some people to try to scare you that "You know, the 20% of O2 is flammable! If the car catches fire, your tires will explode!" You think nobody would try this, but I have heard my share of stories involving explosions.

There is also a potential negative to Nitrogen filled tires. When I brought DW's car into the quick oil change place, they normally check tire pressure, and ask what you want it set to. This time, they said "I see you have green tire stem caps, we don't have Nitrogen, so we won't top off your tires".

Of course, I said just do it anyhow, using our 78% N air. But how many people would go along, and maybe drive on a less than optimally filled tire? Since there is likely no/very-little actual benefit to N for a consumer, any negative due to low pressure is going to greatly outweigh some small (if any) positive.

Back to "Things that used to be 'free' " - related to cars - not sure if this was mentioned before, but a repair shop now typically lists out things like shop towels and other consumables, or maybe an environmental charge (disposing of these oily towels?) as a line item. You obviously paid for it before as part of the overall cost, though who knows if it is just being tacked on as extra profit?

-ERD50

Last edited:
a repair shop now typically lists out things like shop towels and other consumables, or maybe an environmental charge (disposing of these oily towels?) as a line item.

They've been doing that for decades.

I filled the tires on my Kubota tractor with windshield washer fluid. Made a heck of a difference with stability and traction. And didn't freeze.
In my experience that actually works on tractor tires.... However, I'd advise not to "fill" the tires.... About 40% full of water and some antifreeze works best for me.... Helps with traction in wet/muddy conditions and seems to lower the center of gravity,... Or so my pucker meter indicates. YMMV

Last edited:
I always loved the "use nitrogen to avoid oxygen degrading the rubber" argument.

I always wondered how that works for the outside of the tire.

I only wish they'd tried that one on me :D

I always loved the "use nitrogen to avoid oxygen degrading the rubber" argument.

Well, that is an astute question, but there is definitely a strong answer: there is no doubt that oxygen degrades rubber over time (inside and outside of the tire. Well established chemistry principles correlate increased reactivity with increasing pressure, so there is no doubt that rubber oxidation on the inside (pressure ca 35PSI higher than outside - more if tire is hot) is different, and more significant.

I'm not actually making the argument that the difference would really be measurable in real life situations. Nor am I an advocate of nitrogen - I do think that for all intents and practical purposes it is a big gimmick. But science says the argument is, at least in principle, a valid one.

Last edited:
Vanguard used to give TurboTax for free to customers at a certain level.
Don't know why they stopped...but it seems to be part of a trend away from good customer service/relations.

Or maybe Intuit stopped it.

Our longtime dentist used to give a goodie bag after cleaning that included a little floss pack, a toothbrush, and a little tube of toothpaste. After my cleaning last week, I asked about the swag bag and was told "due to covid and the cost of PPE, we discontinued this." I was really disappointed.

Our longtime dentist used to give a goodie bag after cleaning that included a little floss pack, a toothbrush, and a little tube of toothpaste. After my cleaning last week, I asked about the swag bag and was told "due to covid and the cost of PPE, we discontinued this." I was really disappointed.

Saw my dentist yesterday for the 6-month routine cleaning. I still got the goodie bag. However, the fee has been increased by $20, compared to pre-Covid times.

In case people forget.....concrete and asphalt also degrade the synthetic rubber your tires are made of, probably at a faster rate than any O2 on the inside or outside of the tire.

Ex: I recall visiting Stonehenge in the 70-ies and you could roam freely (and without admission fees) around the entire monument. When I took my family back there in the 90-ies, most of the site was roped off and today, the admission fee is a whopping 19.50 Pound per person...... wow!
We toured Stonehenge three years ago and did an "after closure tour." It was all part of a daylong bus tour package and I would really recommend that. Only 50 of us at the site and we were split into two groups of 25; each group had 30 minutes inside the center area so we were able to get up close and personal but were forbidden to touch any of the stones.

Two reasons:
Desire for profit (of course); and
Many people who eat at high-end restaurants, have gotten on the "avoid carbs" wagon. So the free bread basket got ignored, and went to waste.

Bread in high end restaurants. Now it's "bread service" for $4.

Bread in high end restaurants. Now it's "bread service" for $4.

what kind of "high end" restaurant is actually trying that stupidity? It would annoy me before I've even ordered.

Local Costco stores still do free N2. They no longer swap your summer and winter tires for the life of the tire if you purchased them there - I don't know how they ever afforded that.

I have always had cables and for many years battery packs for jumping dead batteries in our cars. Recently have upgraded to new Li packs which are much smaller and more versatile. Living in the Great White North and having several children and a spouse who love to leave interior lights on (ok I have left a door ajar in the past) I have had many occasions to use cables and packs. And I could probably make a couple bucks selling packs to strangers who I have helped - buy low at end of season at Costco and sell at retail! Like the packs as much smaller, cleaner and safer.

I resent having to buy a fishing license!

And no free refills at the movie theater is a deal breaker for me.I understand that we are trying to fight obesity but still - it's diet soda!

If it spreads, though, it will become the norm, just as 1.5 quart ice cream containers did, 10+ years ago.

what kind of "high end" restaurant is actually trying that stupidity? It would annoy me before I've even ordered.

Two reasons:
Desire for profit (of course); and
Many people who eat at high-end restaurants, have gotten on the "avoid carbs" wagon. So the free bread basket got ignored, and went to waste.

Honestly, most of the bread in the restaurant bread baskets is not worth eating. I have a mental daily limit on carbs and sweets. I am not going to waste my allocation of carbs and sweets on low quality food.

I had some sandwich rolls in Germany that almost made me want to toss the cheese and meat and just eat the bread. That's worth occasionally blowing through my daily carb limit. Amazingly the sandwiches were sold from a street stand near the subway - about 2.5 euros each.

I resent having to buy a fishing license!

Ohio has “Free Fishing Days” each year. It was father’s day weekend this year.

They also give a free license to the following people:

• Ohio residents born on or before December 31, 1937 can obtain a free license at any license outlet or online

The following Ohio residents are also eligible for a free license, but must submit a formal application (Form DNR 9032), which is available by calling 1-800-WILDLIFE (1-800-945-3543)
  • Persons who are mobility impaired and required the assistance of another person to cast and retrieve
  • Holders of veteran license plates displaying the international wheelchair symbol
  • Certain veterans who are permanently disabled
  • Residents of state and county institutions
  • Former prisoners of war

Back
Top Bottom