Things you wish you had known when your kids were still in preschool

jon-nyc

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know a number of us have small children here, while many of you have kids that have flown the coop, and all the wisdom, experience, and grey hair that comes with it.

Its time to share some of that wisdom (I'm doing fine on the grey hair by myself, thanks!)

What do you know now that you wish you had known when your kids were still toddlers?

Edit to add - I'm not just trying to solicit advice about toddlers - what do you wish you knew before they were preteens? And teens?

Last edited:
1. They don't need all the latest & greatest toys. Save the $$ for their 529 plan.

2. Start saving earlier for their 529 plan

3. Plop them on your lap every chance you get and read to them. The dirty house will wait (I did pretty good on this one, but still miss this part).

Shouldn't have wasted money on the piano lessons. Not sure if that expensive private school was worth it either.

+1
Love em live crazy I agree.

....but throwing money at them is not showing them love

Don't think I said it was? :) if only it were that easy!

One thing I remember hearing is that the most important thing in parenting is to be consistent and to believe in yourself.

Last edited:
Don't think I said it was? :) if only it were that easy!

You diidn't

That was just me adding my 2 cents worth. Must say I have been guilty plenty a time of spending a lot more than I should on gifts for my kid. Despite that, he still turned out all right, but then again I am biased :)

Just how freakin' quickly they would grow up!!!

+1.

Spend more time with them and less at work. There are other companies, but you only have 1 family. Your family will always be loyal to you, but your company can severe your ties anytime.

I'd agree with everything above and add that they will learn a lot more by doing and trying things than by listening to their parents!

+1.

Spend more time with them and less at work. There are other companies, but you only have 1 family. Your family will always be loyal to you, but your company can severe your ties anytime.

Yep. I learned I was missing this boat when my pre-teen daughter asked us if we could take a family vacation. Whoops!

When they ask you to spend time with them, say yes. Don't put it off. The special moments come when least expected.

Also, your kids will develop and mature at their own pace and not necessarily in linear equality with the kids around them. Don't sweat it, let them mature at their own paces. They'll be happier, and so will you.

Children are usually over confident in their abilities and parents are usually under confident in their children's abilities. Find the middle ground and all endeavors will likely be spot on!

Because I said so and I'll tell you when you're older are valid answers for topics that involve the dark side of life.

Back
Top Bottom