Thinking of building a pool...what are the pro's and con's?

Here, people are encouraged to sign up the kids for swimming lessons. They can teach kids as young as 3.

Just a couple of years ago a young kid got killed by a gator at Disney. There are news stories every year about kids getting bitten (at best) during the summer rainy season when the gators move into the drainage ditches near houses, places where there's usually no water but the rains bring enough for the gators to move in. It's the wild, wild south down there.

Basically any waterway in FLA which is not the ocean, one should expect there can be gators in there.

Friend in FL had to be very careful to keep his dog in an fenced enclosure by the house. The gators were known to snatch dogs from waters edge and that is that, as they say. Kids are also advised in some areas to avoid certain waterways but I have no personal experience so YMMV.
There was a video posted a while back on the internet which a gator climbed a fence. I can believe it. The only gators I've encountered are by the waters edge while playing golf. Don't go near the water to retrieve your ball.

Just a couple of years ago a young kid got killed by a gator at Disney. There are news stories every year about kids getting bitten (at best) during the summer rainy season when the gators move into the drainage ditches near houses, places where there's usually no water but the rains bring enough for the gators to move in. It's the wild, wild south down there.
During the 3 major hurricanes that wrecked FL in 2004, the snakes and gators were displaced and some were walking and crawling in the streets some near down live power lines.

I think you just build the pool fence into the design. In our last house we had a glass fence, because we didn’t want to ruin the view. There are ways to do it. No pool fence and young kids is a recipe for disaster imo. Just not worth it. We wouldn’t even move in to our current house until the fence was in.

Yep, minimum 4' tall fence with self-closing gate with the pull-up release on top of the gate (well out of reach of small kids) that requires two hands...one to pull up the release, one to pull the gate open.

There are removable mesh fences with the above safety features designed to be retrofitted to existing backyard pools.

A fence is absolutely a requirement, but it’s not all there is to pool safety. When I’m working, I prop the gate open. Guess who strolled into the pool area when I wasn’t looking - my 5 year old granddaughter. Thankfully I got taught a lesson on the cheap. Nothing bad happened. Adult attention to the kids is so important as well as overall attention to details. There’s no doubt that attention to safety is a factor in whether or not to have a pool.

We never bought one, but I believe they now have pool alarms that you can arm when you are done using the pool and will sound loudly of there is motion in the pool. Could save a life.

The previously described fence, 4’ with the latch system as described is required by ordinance where we are. Since part of the barrier is our house, we are required to have an alarm system for the back door. We don’t bother to arm it, since we put the pool in when DS was 11, seven years after he learned to swim. Also, our back door is a heavy sliding door with a double lock system.

We have put in two Ring security cameras, one on the pool and on the side of the house by the gate.

We never bought one, but I believe they now have pool alarms that you can arm when you are done using the pool and will sound loudly of there is motion in the pool. Could save a life.

We’re new to pools. We learned our lesson. When the kids are here, all adults are on guard. Plus, I don’t leave the gate open. It’s a self closing gate but I was propping it open. I don’t do that any more. I think if I was going to go any further, it would be with cameras and/or an alarm on the gate.

I knew I'd never have the guts to cough up the money to have a pool built. So to get around that, I bought a house with a pool already installed!

Where I'm at in Maryland, it's really only useful from about mid-May through maybe late September. We have had early, warm springs in the past, but, of course, not since I've owned a house with a pool. :facepalm:

It hasn't given me any regrets, yet. I have a pool company that comes out and opens it, closes it, and does a weekly maintenance. I could probably do most of what they do, myself, but this is one of the few areas I like to splurge on.

The only real annoyance I've had so far, is the cover. My pool is a weird size, 23x51 feet. The closest sized cover I could find, at the time, was 30x55, which left it a bit short on the ends. If the water level dropped too far in the winter, and I didn't keep a watch on it, it would sag, pull a water bag or two in, and get leaves and much underneath the cover.

The cover's also cheap. It had a 5 year warranty, but one of those pro-rated ones. After three winters, it's pretty much shot. The water bags tend to not last very long, either. But, on the plus side, it was cheap!

I've thought about looking into one of those more expensive covers, where they have sort of a zig-zag pattern of supports and it stretches tight, anchoring in the concrete, but I've heard those are expensive.

Anyway, 3 years into it, and no regrets yet. I'm only 51 though; I might feel different when I'm in my 80's. One feature I like about the pool now, but might bite me on the butt as I age, is that it's a bit of a distance from the house, maybe 150 feet. It's also somewhat out in the open. No overhanging trees, and I'd say the closest tree of any real substance is at least 50 feet away. On a hot summer day, it feels like an oasis out in the middle of nowhere, and having it not right up against the house makes it feel kind of like I'm on vacation, somehow. But, as I age, I'm sure I'm going to complain about that distance!

With regards to fences and gates, I'll admit I've left mine propped open a few times. I don't regularly have small kids over, unless it's actually for a pool party, and then there's always adults on hand. And we're far enough out in the boonies that if some neighbor kid wandered in, the parents would probably be getting a call from child protective services! Seriously though, I do try to make it a point to keep it closed.

With my luck, if I didn't have a fence and a gate, I'd end up with a dead deer in there! As it is, rescuing frogs, toads, lizards, and snakes is a common occurrence. I found a dead rabbit in there once. And a dead mole. I wonder...if a deer did fall in the pool somehow, would it be smart enough to figure out how to get out, or would it panic and start flailing about?

We don't have a safety fence around our pool. Our granddaughters are 5 and 2. When they are over here, one of us is with them at all times, especially if outside. When we are inside, we also lock all doors to the backyard. They are sliders with double locks. We have 3 gates into the backyard on our main fence and they are always padlocked as well.

I don't even think a safety fence would work around our pool. It's built on a slope. We have a raised beam on one side and an inverted beam on the other. So there are 3 different levels of decking, with a 3-foot elevation change between each, with stairs.

Also, our yard backs up to a private lake, with about 250 feet of shoreline. There's no fence on the lake. So there's not much point in putting one on the pool. We just have to be extra vigilant when the grandkids are here. The 5 year-old knows how to swim and they have a pool at home (with a fence). So they are both very familiar with pool rules and safety.

Florida, gators been seen around. :confused:

OP here. I am on a point with water on both sides. Intercostal on one side (glorious view only no dock or swimming) and a dock on the tidal creek side. You can swim there but we do have a gater from time to time.

We don't have a safety fence around our pool. Our granddaughters are 5 and 2. When they are over here, one of us is with them at all times, especially if outside. When we are inside, we also lock all doors to the backyard. They are sliders with double locks. We have 3 gates into the backyard on our main fence and they are always padlocked as well.

I don't even think a safety fence would work around our pool. It's built on a slope. We have a raised beam on one side and an inverted beam on the other. So there are 3 different levels of decking, with a 3-foot elevation change between each, with stairs.

Also, our yard backs up to a private lake, with about 250 feet of shoreline. There's no fence on the lake. So there's not much point in putting one on the pool. We just have to be extra vigilant when the grandkids are here. The 5 year-old knows how to swim and they have a pool at home (with a fence). So they are both very familiar with pool rules and safety.

You can still add a "something just entered the pool" alarm as other posters have mentioned...had I a private pool I'd add that in addition to the fence.

Last edited:
Basically any waterway in FLA which is not the ocean, one should expect there can be gators in there.

I'm on the Gulf side, and I've seen gators in the Gulf in the Fort Myers/Bonita Beach area. Freaked me out a bit. I kayak in the bays and rivers and don't worry when I see gators. But I swim in the Gulf.

I'm on the Gulf side, and I've seen gators in the Gulf in the Fort Myers/Bonita Beach area. Freaked me out a bit. I kayak in the bays and rivers and don't worry when I see gators. But I swim in the Gulf.

This is one reason I like a pool. I don’t swim in natural water. Especially the ocean. I’ll wade in to cool off but there’s critters in there that can eat you. I’m not overly dramatic but in a similar vein, I wouldn’t go on an African safari and go walking out into the bush. Gators and sharks are bad enough, but there’s also thing like jelly fish that can hurt real bad. No thanks.

You can still add a "something just entered the pool" alarm as other posters have mentioned...had I a private pool I'd add that in addition to the fence.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw pb4 mentioned that earlier. I'll definitely look into that. Won't help with the lake though.

With regards to fences and gates, I'll admit I've left mine propped open a few times. ................

With my luck, if I didn't have a fence and a gate, I'd end up with a dead deer in there! As it is, rescuing frogs, toads, lizards, and snakes is a common occurrence. I found a dead rabbit in there once. And a dead mole. ..?

No pool for me!

They sound like one hassle after another after another, ad infinitum.

Required gates/fences, and gates left open "for convenience". What's the point? Dead critters in the pool. Another unpleasant non-requested chore. Grandkids over and one adult "on duty" at all times. I want to enjoy my grandkids, not saddle someone else or be saddled with yet another unrequested chore. Install pool alarm that tells you "something" making waves in water. Another alarm to "not arm" (like someone said) or another call on your attention testing alarm/maintiaining alarm/being sure to arm alarm. So much for "enjoying" my super expensive pool! I'd feel better splurging that dough on the grandkids college funds. Too many community or gym club or golf club pools nearby available for use at low cost for the "few" times I'd have the urge to use a pool. But that's just me. :(

Thanks. Yeah, I saw pb4 mentioned that earlier. I'll definitely look into that. Won't help with the lake though.

We tried this as well as this turtle clip that kids wear and alarms if it hits water. None of them work well enough for me to not be worried. Even fences need to be checked regularly to make sure the gates are swinging shut.

Pool - yes or no

The pool is one of the best choices we made.
1. My wife loves it.
2. I love it.
3. Hardly any maintenance.
4. It is salt water.
5. We have a solar cover
A. Helps keep warm
B. Decreases evaporation
6. Alway use a skimmer sock
7. We also have a heater that allows earlier opening and a longer season to use.
8. We cover with a safety cover in the winter and have a pool sump pump in the center to remove excess water.
9. Grandkids love it.
10. Great place to sit around and enjoy enjoy.

The kayaking concerns me from time to time. Always wondered if a large gator could tip over the kayak.

The kayaking concerns me from time to time. Always wondered if a large gator could tip over the kayak.

They definitely could, but I've never seen one be aggressive with a kayak. I actually bumped over one once (didn't see it in time), and it just went on it's way. I saw a bull shark once when I was paddling through the mangroves in the Estero Bay once, and that scared the bejeezus out of me. But the gators tend to be pretty calm. I hike at Bird Rookery Swamp a lot, and pass within 6-10 feet of some pretty good sized gators. As long as they don't raise up and start hissing I just go on by. I think they're pretty used to people. But when I see/hear babies, I definitely look around for mama.

Here's one that did. The kayaker managed to escape.

I'm not showing that one to DW. She already won't let me hike or kayak alone (in FL anyway).

Back
Top Bottom