This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only 84 in New Orleans right now (4:45 PM), but the heat was absolutely oppressive earlier today. Probably didn't break 90, so I guess the humidity is the culprit.

Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun (and I have some English blood mixed in with mostly Scottish). But, after five or ten minutes doing yardwork in the heat I was inspired to seek refuge inside. I put off trimming the hedge until another day.

No chiggers or scorpions. Other things live in the canals. The saying is that you know you are a New Orleanian when you stop wondering what lives in the canals.

Last edited:
We've had a couple nice days in the low 70's but saturday will drop 20 degrees. By sunday morning wind chills will be in the upper 30's. 10-day forcast doesn't include any day above 68 for a high or 48 for a low. That barely qualifies for spring let alone summer.

No chiggers, I'm north OF Montana:D

We have mosquitos the size of condors, black flies that take your first -born and grasshoppers that eat everything in site, but NO chiggers.

Nothing like a Mayfly hatch.......:nonono:

I lived right on a slough on the Mississippi River for a couple years, and the DPW would put their snow plows on during a hatch and PLOW the Mayflies off the bridge over the main channel.......:)

Snowing here today. Just flurries though. Enough already!

We got it Saturday for a bit. Today though looks pretty nice and all the snow under our trees has melted. The parking lot snow banks remain around the city. Yearly betting pools on when the last snow bank is gone are popular.

Ice is off the big lake, the floes broke up and it is gone.

This thread has convinced to try to stay no more than 2 miles from the Pacific, its bays and estuaries. And for over 40 years that is just what I have done. :)

Frost and freeze warnings for last night and tonight. :(
Moved all my potted plants and newly emerged seedlings inside my screened porch, with the plexiglas panels still in place. It makes a really nice walk-in cold frame.
No white stuff expected TG. :D

It's pouring buckets. Snow and ice pellets expected overnight. My daffodils have given up the ghost.

It's pouring buckets. Snow and ice pellets expected overnight. My daffodils have given up the ghost.

Also pouring buckets in northern illinois with more rain on the way. I heard on the radio that we are having the wettest spring on record. I may need a snorkel, but no snow and ice, except for hail, in the forecast

weather.jpg

Feels like we have stepped back to March here in the PNW. Raining and 47F. Forecast calls for sun and 70's this weekend though.

DD

Yesterday was great. Temps in the mid 60's, partly cloudy.

I was off of work and after we dropped off some excess stuff at Goodwill I took the bike out for a "follow-my-nose" ride and ended up in Mercersburg, PA via all the side roads - no interstates. There I saw a sign that said "McConnelsburg, 10 miles" so I went in that direction. It took me over a mountain that had a nice scenic overlook (sorry, no pictures, I forgot the camera) and I think that was the mountain where we got stuck in the snow on the way to Tyrone, PA one year. Or maybe it was the one where Dad ran the car out of gas at the top of the mountain and we coasted to a gas station at the bottom of the mountain - there was one there. Anyway, it sure looked familiar.

On the mountain road there were lots of signs that said "Trucks 20 mph" and on the way up the mountain I passed a couple of trucks going the other way and could smell brake linings burning when they went by.

Stopped at Mickey D's in McConnelsburg for some fries and set the GPS to find a way home (I have a handlebar mount for it) skipping the interstates and on the way home was tempted to go via Greencastle but there was still the lawn to mow which I had promised to do so I went on home and did that. I did cheat a little and went the last ten miles on I-81, the bike cruises nicely at 75 mph. (WV speed limit is 70.)

Just a really nice day.

It is the middle of May
And it was 29 F earlier today
Right here in SW PA.

It is the middle of May
And it was 29 F earlier today
Right here in SW PA.
I hear ya.
Freeze warnings last week, last night, and tonight. My tomato and sweet pepper plants are safe inside, with all other outside plants gathered together and covered with a painter's clear plastic dropcloth.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom