This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw an update that indicated Ida could become a devastating cat 4 or 5, and that evac guidance is being advised. Looks like Sunday evening. This is from a Texas FB weather group. Hope it does not get that bad and everyone in its path stays safe.

This is sounding more and more like it's going to be a terrible storm. From the NHC 5pm EDT advisory:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/272049.shtml?

...In fact, with the higher initial wind speed, the intensity guidance has significantly increased this cycle, and the bulk of the guidance now brings Ida to category 4 intensity. The NHC forecast explicitly calls for rapid intensification during the next 24 to 36 hours,
which is supported by several of the dynamical models...

Ida is expected to be an extremely dangerous major hurricane when it reaches the coast of Louisiana. Hurricane-force winds are expected Sunday in portions of the Hurricane Warning area along the Louisiana coast, including metropolitan New Orleans, with potentially catastrophic wind damage possible where the core of Ida moves onshore. Actions to protect life and property should be rushed to completion in the warning area.

I recall the dire official NWS warnings from Katrina...the hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I recall hearing the broadcast on XM radio.

KATRINA...NOW A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE WITH WINDS OF 125 MPH AND HIGHER GUSTS...WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NORTHWARD ACROSS SOUTHEAST
MISSISSIPPI AND INTO EAST CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI THROUGH THE AFTERNOON
AND EVENING HOURS. ALONG AND NEAR KATRINAS PATH...EXPECT PARTIAL TO
COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT
BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL
SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW POSSIBLY TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. MANY WINDOWS WILL
BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DE-FOLIATED.

This Category 4 prediction has not been the highlight of my day, to put it mildly.

You are staying put either way, right? Just make sure you have what you need and be safe. Good luck.

You are staying put either way, right? Just make sure you have what you need and be safe. Good luck.

Thank you.

Not sure what we'll be doing. Frank is at work. After he gets off, we'll try again to get gas somewhere. We couldn't find any this afternoon. Now that it's predicted to be a Cat 4, I'd rather leave. Yesterday he wanted to stay but not sure what he thinks now.

Friends of ours who stayed during Katrina, ended up evacuating a day or two afterwards because things were so miserable here. To me it just seems stupid to take the risk and then leave later. :) On the other hand, even if we get gas the freeways may be all jammed up with so many cars, and such a brief window of time for getting out of here.

Thank you.

Not sure what we'll be doing. Frank is at work. After he gets off, we'll try again to get gas somewhere. We couldn't find any this afternoon. Now that it's predicted to be a Cat 4, I'd rather leave. Yesterday he wanted to stay but not sure what he thinks now.

Friends of ours who stayed during Katrina, ended up evacuating a day or two afterwards because things were so miserable here. To me it just seems stupid to take the risk and then leave later. :) On the other hand, even if we get gas the freeways may be all jammed up with so many cars, and such a brief window of time for getting out of here.

Maybe a good time to visit Springfield. I would leave by tomorrow morning though or not at all.

Maybe a good time to visit Springfield. I would leave by tomorrow morning though or not at all.
Springfield would be a good destination.

I can't even imagine how jammed up the interstates will be heading out of New Orleans tomorrow morning, though. The only thing worse than staying here through a Category 4 hurricane, would be getting stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway through a Category 4 hurricane. Maybe if it slows down a bit we could leave around the middle of Saturday night.

Katrina hit New Orleans on Monday morning, around 6-8 AM. We left around 2 AM Sunday morning and with contraflow, that worked nicely. But this time, we are told there was just not enough time to get contraflow in place.

Maybe F will have some ideas. If I had gas, and if it was solely up to me, I'd leave right now. But I don't, and it isn't.

Thank you.

We are all pulling for you, W2R. God be with you and the people of NOLA.

Reactions: W2R
With the Delta Covid-19 surge, aren't hospitals already pretty full? I'd be getting inland as far and fast as possible.

This weather is awful!!

Thank you.

Friends of ours who stayed during Katrina, ended up evacuating a day or two afterwards because things were so miserable here. To me it just seems stupid to take the risk and then leave later. [emoji4] On the other hand, even if we get gas the freeways may be all jammed up with so many cars, and such a brief window of time for getting out of here.

Here’s something from Gasbuddy that might help with finding gas this weekend. Good luck!

https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/heres-how-to-find-gas-stations-with-fuel-and-power-in-tropical-storm-ida

I hope for the best to all in hurricane season. I couldn't imagine having to go through that.

Thanks, everybody! Especially you, UncleMick, this must bring back some less-than-optimal memories; sure does for me. I never thought I'd see this again. Guess I should have expected it.

But anyway, guess what.....

I GOT GASOLINE!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Our usual gas station was out of gas, and I suggested we should go to a couple of stations that gasbuddy said sold some gas 3 hours ago. On the way, F says.... "Pull into that one!" (a station near my old house, that I used to use). About 2/3 of the pumps had no gas, but I managed to bull my way into line at one of the ones that worked, and bingo! A full tank.

Thank Goodness!!! (Or a higher power if it turns out there really is one!).

OK, now he's using his portable tire inflater to bring my tires up to the desired pressure. He either wants to leave at dawn tomorrow morning, or else Sunday morning. I usually prefer leaving about 2 AM, but he pointed out that my vision is awful at night these days (old age dontcha know) so we are thinking sunrise might be a better time.

So, it looks like we are all set and very likely will be evacuating again sometime in the next 36 hours. Most people seems to be headed to Houston or Mobile on I-10, but we plan to head north to Memphis and then probably on to Jonesboro or Springfield or somewhere. If I don't post then I'm on the road.

Good to hear. I imagine a couple hundred miles would be enough. All the best!

So, it looks like we are all set and very likely will be evacuating again sometime in the next 36 hours. Most people seems to be headed to Houston or Mobile on I-10, but we plan to head north to Memphis and then probably on to Jonesboro or Springfield or somewhere. If I don't post then I'm on the road.
Wishing you safe open roads and little traffic.

Cheers!

W2R if possible I'd avoid I-10 at all costs, take back roads. I-10 will be a traffic jam in either direction. Suggestion to go north a bit and parallel or head northeast or northwest to avoid jams. And leave now! Sunday morning may be too late, don't want to get caught on the road in heavy rains and winds.

Last edited:
Take care, WR2, we feel for your situation. While you get more than we do and more often, we are not exempt from inclement weather. We have our strategy honed and fine tuned from 15 years of experience. I am confident you and yours are the same. Good luck. We live where we do because we like it, as a result we have to put up with what nature sends us and prepare accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom