This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now it's 30° out and SUNNY!!! The snow is all gone!!! Now we look out and see green grass...instead of grayish-white snow & slop!!! :D

However, across town the rivers are up, and expected to reach near record levels again.....they set new records in September when the remnants of Ike came up to visit us. Here in town, only a couple of buildings are actually in the flood plain, the rest is open land or parks....so little damage occurs from local flooding.

Just caught up on all the blogs in the forum. The weather notes remind me of a funny saying a friend has about where to live. He's from Ohio but lives in Punta Gorda, FL and says he'll never live north of the signs that read "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROADWAY". That's his northern limit.

The weather notes remind me of a funny saying a friend has about where to live. He's from Ohio but lives in Punta Gorda, FL and says he'll never live north of the signs that read "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROADWAY". That's his northern limit.

My brother in Missouri used to joke that we could save a huge amount in tax dollars if a question was included in all written drivers' tests:

"All bridges may ice in cold weather. True or false?"

Then we could take down all of those expensive signs and stop having them made. :2funny:

Yesterday the temps were up into the 40's and it was raining steady melting a lot of snow. I was happy. I should've know it wouldn't last. When I got out of w*rk this morning at 5am the rain had turned into snow. The roadways were covered in ice with snow over it and 30mph winds. One of the worst driving experiences of my life. I drove about 8 miles on the highway most of the time not being able to see the road. I just hoped it was in front of me.

We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave...high of 58 today. :D
Hit the outdoor jacuzzi and even got my hair wet. :D
Wind is now blowing and temps have dropped to 38.
Brrrrrrrr...ol man winter is back upon us. :'(
My first seed catalog arrived today. Hope springs eternal.

My brother in Missouri used to joke that we could save a huge amount in tax dollars if a question was included in all written drivers' tests:

"All bridges may ice in cold weather. True or false?"

Then we could take down all of those expensive signs and stop having them made. :2funny:

Not to hijack the thread but here’s another weather related sign rant for you.
What’s the purpose of the signs that warn: “Danger, Fog Area”? I agree that fog is dangerous but it’s pretty easy to see. It’s easier to see fog than to read a sign about it. If it’s really, truly foggy, then you can’t see the sign anyway! I suspect that highway sign companies are all owned by brothers in law of politicians.

OOh! ooh! can I see it? Which one did you get??
Johnny's Selected Seeds. 6 more arrived today. I called them all last year and had my name removed in the name of saving trees. oh well.
I am finding that seeds by catalog are now too expensive for my taste. So I revert back to my local Agway farm store, right down the road. The seed variety is limited but most of the short season types are exactly right for my area.
weather report - today we are right back to winter again. 35 F today, but it's SUNNY!!!! :D I needed that after 2 days of cloudiness and rain and gloom. Blech :p

Through the miracles of very dry air and calm, clear skies in Central Texas:

I woke up eight hours ago, and it was 23º.

Now it's 71º.

Johnny's Selected Seeds. 6 more arrived today. I called them all last year and had my name removed in the name of saving trees. oh well.
I am finding that seeds by catalog are now too expensive for my taste. So I revert back to my local Agway farm store, right down the road. The seed variety is limited but most of the short season types are exactly right for my area.

I like to go through the catalogs and look at all of the flowers & veggies, to help me decide what I want to plant, and to help me pick out new plants that I haven't tried before. Most of the time I go to the local farm store and pick up my seed packets....they always sell them at a discounted price, and they have a HUGE variety to choose from!

I've been very pleased with the plants that I've gotten from Forest Farm....the shipping is little pricier than some, but the plants always arrive in excellent condition!

Yeah, I forgot about Johnny's...that one should be coming too!

As a side note, if you want to know about a mail-order gardening company, go to The Garden Watchdog. From their website:
The Garden Watchdog is a free directory of 6,578 mail order gardening companies. Here gardeners share their opinions on which companies really deliver on quality, price and service.
It'll help you separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. :)

Weather today was bright & sunny (again) and 48°.....Nice for the end of December! And the flooding rivers are beginning to recede as well.

Seed catalogs by mail are so 90s -- as in 1890. Wouldn't the online version make more sense?

Seed catalogs by mail are so 90s -- as in 1890. Wouldn't the online version make more sense?

Yeah, I use the online versions too....but I can carry the paper versions with me to Florida, sit in the sun, sip iced tea, and peruse them...until a stray bikini distracts me. :rolleyes:

Not on a dial-up connection. All the pictures take forever to load. Besides, you can't bend down the corner of the screen to mark a page you want to come back to for another look. ;)

Several cousins live in Buffalo, NY. They take their snow seriously.

"Gary, how do you cope with seven feet of snow?"

"Climb out the 2nd floor window because the front door won't open."

With that much, I'd think you'd start thinking in terms of tunneling rather than shoveling.

That is exactly what had to be at an Army post in Eastern Turkey that was located EAST of Moscow. Tunneled from about mid-October through November and they (the tunnels) remained until about April every year. Usual snowfall was in excess of 15 feet annually.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa........golf today!:) High 67 today and sunny. Might be a little wet which means cart path only, but that's ok. I need the extra exercise.

Several cousins live in Buffalo, NY. They take their snow seriously.

"Gary, how do you cope with seven feet of snow?"

"Climb out the 2nd floor window because the front door won't open."

With that much, I'd think you'd start thinking in terms of tunneling rather than shoveling.
The "12th man" sign at Rich Stadium (Bullalo Bills) refers to the snow. :p
The Buffalo weather can be as good as having an extra man on the football field.

The thing I miss about winter is snow days when you have an excuse to just stay in and read or watch movies . In Florida we rarely have bad weather so occasionally I declare it a snow day and just veg out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom