This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we just beat yesterday in terms of intraday temperature swings. Woke up to 27, and now it's 78. That's a 51 degree swing in seven hours...

Pack up & leave days !

It would not be a bad excuse to get an RV, though I think it quickly becomes a chore if I have to do it 2 or 3 times in just as many months.

Always wanting to move to PNW, I wonder how I would feel in the recent storm. I keep telling myself that the weather may be better out in the sound, compared to Seattle. Also, I thought that it would be a good time to stay home, curl up with a book and some rum coffee to stay warm.

Hah! Given that the local residents have been lamenting about their weather, what do I know?

We have not been up to our 2nd home in the AZ high country for 6 weeks. Weather cam shows 2-3 ft of snow. Weather Web site said lows of 5 deg F a few days ago. So, we are staying down here in Phoenix to stay warm (71 degF as I write this).

Well, we just beat yesterday in terms of intraday temperature swings. Woke up to 27, and now it's 78. That's a 51 degree swing in seven hours...

That's extreme! I thought day/night temperature swings of 40-45 deg F at my 2nd home was high !!!

Wow I don't think we get that temperature swing in 7 decades. Just doubled checked all time High in Honolulu is 96 all time low is 49 (brr) so only 47 degree swing.

Wow I don't think we get that temperature swing in 7 decades. Just doubled checked all time High in Honolulu is 96 all time low is 49 (brr) so only 47 degree swing.

You miss all the cracking and popping that the frame of your house would make !

Just returned yesterday from spending Christmas at the beach on the Florida panhandle; temps in the low to mid 70,s each day and good fishing.
Returned to south MS and the temp now is in the mid 60's.
I would like to try two things in the cold weather, through, ice climbing and ice fishing. Meanwhile, no plans to spend an extended period of time above the Mason-
Dixon line, for additional reasons.

You miss all the cracking and popping that the frame of your house would make !

Yes that is right up there with shoveling snow, and rock salt covered cars on my top things I miss about not living in snow country. We do have cracking and popping sounds in the houses though; termites can be noisy :)

It is 15 degrees today and putzed around a bit outside with the dog, cleaning up some of the snowblower misses. Felt warm. Adaptation is interesting. I left my coat unzipped and didn't even where a hat.

It is 15 degrees today and putzed around a bit outside with the dog, cleaning up some of the snowblower misses. Felt warm. Adaptation is interesting. I left my coat unzipped and didn't even where a hat.
To me, it all depends on the wind. Though we're way down in the heart of [-]chiggerville[/-] Texas, it can get pretty cold overnight -- often into the 20s in the dead of winter with a handful of nights down into the teens. When it gets down into the low 20s and below, there's usually no wind at all.

I can stand outside in a T-shirt while letting the dog out for her first-thing-in-the-morning nature call when it's 18º and calm and be pretty comfortable... but if it's 40º and windy it's very uncomfortable.

I watched the weather forecaster last night on TV, and he said NO snow until at least this evening or extremely early Wednesday morning (1-2am), and then it would be no more than a light dusting with NO measurable accumulation. What a moron!!! We've had almost 2" of snow since I crawled outta bed, and it's still going! I don't think that idiot could predict what the current weather is, even he were out standing in the middle of it!!! :rant:

I can't believe that people can actually get paid for being wrong soooo often! If I was in the market for a job....which I'm not, nor ever shall be....I'd want to be a weatherman! I could be wrong 99% of the time, and get paid for it! What a deal!!! :duh:

But the best one I ever heard, was on our local rinky-dink radio station here in town. The radio announcer...live for the studio 1/2 mile form my house....said, "It's a bright sunny day outside, not a cloud in the sky. And it's a great day for anything you want to do outdoors, as there's absolutely NO chance of precipitation today." We had been having a big thunderstorm for about an hour....thunder, lightning, torrential downpours, the whole nine yards! Their broadcasting studio was in the front of their building, looking out through 2 huge store-front windows!!! :uglystupid:

Weather straight from the source:
www.noaa.gov
Punch in your zip code at the top left of the page, click on GO, and it will take you directly to REAL radar and satellite weather. Your local hazardous weather will appear in text just below the weekday forecast icons. Click on one and read.
Go back to the previous page, then click on the radar map image halfway down the right side of the page, then select the Composite Loop (cloud cover and precipitation) option at top left.
Red color means head for the cellar. :eek:
I am an experienced boater who watches the weather like some watch the stock market. Only the NOAA weather will do. :D This is the weather reports that emergency services, pilots, and mariners use to predict their "go, no-go" decisions and readiness.

Nice layer of ice this morning for the commute. Didn't leave the house until 2PM and 33F.

Thanks for the warning. Can you take that storm system back, please ? :p

A STORM SYSTEM MOVING OUT OF THE OHIO VALLEY WILL SPREAD SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK THIS EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 3 INCHES IS LIKELY BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. SNOW MIXING WITH SLEET AT TIMES, SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES...WEDNESDAY EVENING...SHOWERS SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO 6 TO 10 IS LIKELY BY MIDNIGHT. :rant:

It's raining hard right now, as it did in the late afternoon. Although the puddles in my yard are becoming little temporary ponds, the sound of rain is peaceful and soothing, and I feel cozy and comfortable inside tonight.

I love the rain, and we get 60"/year in New Orleans. I'll miss the frequent rains when we move north.

Her body was 'ice cold' and her heart stopped, but Duluth woman survived | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Janice Goodger’s body temperature had fallen to 60 degrees – as cold as Dr. Chris Delp has ever seen – and so cold that it appeared as if she couldn’t possibly survive.
Instead, the 64-year-old Duluth woman will walk back into St. Luke’s hospital for a simple checkup today, just days after what Delp, an emergency room physician at the hospital, called an “amazing” medical journey to the brink of death and back.
“I’m not aware of anyone at this age to have survived [being so cold] and to have done this well,” he said.
And Goodger, who returned to her apartment just days after her heart stopped beating for at least an hour as her body temperature fell, seems to have suffered no ill effects.
“I don’t feel any different, except I can’t yell anymore,” Goodger said.

I can't think of a thing to add to this story.

More cold and windy. Really windy! Gusts over 50 mph. I am dreaming of warm places by the sea. Hawaii. Florida. Mexico. I am seriously wondering if this 3rd generation Californian wants to return to her roots.

A little snow yesterday in Northern Il makes walking outside with crutches an adventure
(but not as slippery as the greasy floor in Taco Bell). Boring forecast - cloudy with highs 26-34, lows 18-23 for the next 5 days.

I can't believe that people can actually get paid for being wrong soooo often! If I was in the market for a job....which I'm not, nor ever shall be....I'd want to be a weatherman!

The thing that bugs me about the weather report on our local station is that they've now gone to a seven-day forecast. Even the forecast for the next day is usually wrong, so it's insulting that they show a seven-day chart.

-----------------

I've seen this story:

'Miracle' woman survives three days under snow drift - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

but have yet to learn how she ended up under the snow. Did she fall and knock herself unconscious? Was she making a snow angel?

Just returned from a walk with DW. Fine walking East, North or South. West was another story, just enough sleet on a just fast enough winds to make it tough. At least we have yet to get more than a dusting of snow thus far (and can still walk outside). That, may be changing in the next few days however.

Cold and chilly in Phoenix. Had to put on pants for work although my boss had shorts on. Only supposed to hit 61. At least it is sunny out.

Cold and chilly in Phoenix. Had to put on pants for work although my boss had shorts on. Only supposed to hit 61. At least it is sunny out.

Is that a dream job, or what? I am so envious. I cannot imagine seeing my boss dressed like that at work, much less wearing them myself.

We have the same weather as you, today. It's supposed to hit 61, and it is clear and sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom