This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's above frezzing and raining..Yeah! I love rain this time of year because it melts snow faster than the sun. By tonight, all the roads and parking lots should be nearly snow-free. There will still be around a foot of snow cover in most non-paved areas but that's to be expected.

It's getting kind of nasty out there; 100 car pile-up on I-94.
I-94
Blocked - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks
Whoa, that is terrible. Have you moved to your new place?

We have moderately cold weather-29. I took out my Minnesota coat that my brother bought in Minneapolis in 1980. I am overdressed for the weather, but it feels good anyway. I'm sure that I will still have this coat when I croak. It is Eddie Bauer with Thinsulate, and seems to be indestructible at least when it only gets worn a couple weeks per year. About five years ago I took it into Eddie Bauer and asked for some repairs. They grumbled a bit, but made the repairs.

I'm the 4th owner. When he moved to Tampa, brother #1 gave it brother #2 who was still living in the upper south. The arms were too long, so he gave it to our Dad, who refused to wear it because he only wore overcoats. It hung in his closet for a few years, and when he died my sis gave it to me. How’s that for frugal?

Ha

Whoa, that is terrible. Have you moved to your new place?

We have moderately cold weather-29. I took out my Minnesota coat that my brother bought in Minneapolis in 1980. I am overdressed for the weather, but it feels good anyway. I'm sure that I will still have this coat when I croak. It is Eddie Bauer with Thinsulate, and seems to be indestructible at least when it only gets worn a couple weeks per year. About five years ago I took it into Eddie Bauer and asked for some repairs. They grumbled a bit, but made the repairs.

I'm the 4th owner. When he moved to Tampa, brother #1 gave it brother #2 who was still living in the upper south. The arms were too long, so he gave it to our Dad, who refused to wear it because he only wore overcoats. It hung in his closet for a few years, and when he died my sis gave it to me. How’s that for frugal?

Ha
Still stuck here in Cavalier, it's very hard to sell a house here in the winter; nobody wants to move. Have had a couple of people looking but don't really expect much until after January.

Thunderstorms and 50 degrees in northern Il - melting the foot of snow on the ground

Big Storm blowing into PHX.
Forecast is for Hard Freeze warnings for outlying areas., with Snow down to 2000' Elevation. (Hopefully I'll be able to post some desert snow pictures.)

Need to get out to cover the Bougainvillea and Lantana...

Egads! - I was in PHX when it snowed on Jan 21, 2007. The locals were restless. They're talking Arizona weather on the Chicago TV stations now. I checked my condocam and it looks sunny outside, but its only 52 in the condo. Good thing I have the heat set at 50.

Amazingly enough, nobody was hurt in the 100car pile-up. Apparently conditions were so bad everybody had slowed way down.

70's last week, Saturday I have the Christmas [-]Beer[/-] Bird Count.:(

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: December 31, 2010 14:32:45 MST

Tonight: Becoming mostly clear with a 10 percent chance of showers. Colder. No snow accumulation. Lows 11 to 16.

New years day: Partly cloudy. Highs 43 to 48.

Saturday night: Mostly clear. Llows 15 to 20.

Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs 50 to 55.

Sunday night: Mostly clear. Lows 22 to 27.

Monday: Partly cloudy. Highs 55 to 60.

Monday night: Partly cloudy. Lows 22 to 27.

Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Highs 56 to 61.

Tuesday night: Partly cloudy. Lows 24 to 29.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of showers. Highs 57 to 62.

Wednesday night: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Lows 27 to 32.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of showers. Highs 56 to 61.

Thursday night: Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of showers. Lows 27 to 32.

Friday: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs 55 to 60.

In western PA we came out of the mild deep freeze of teens and twenties.

Today's heat wave to be 52, and 100% chance of rain. Then in a few days back to the twenties in the night time.

I have a potential looker for a spare woodburning stove 'been trying to sell on craigslist. At 400lb not many have the means to transport it.

Amazingly enough, nobody was hurt in the 100car pile-up. Apparently conditions were so bad everybody had slowed way down.

Whenever I read about those 50, 80, 100 car pile-ups I always feel bad for the poor guy/gal who has to write the report on it. He'll spend the next six weeks writing the thing and be hearing from insurance companies for six months.

Whenever I read about those 50, 80, 100 car pile-ups I always feel bad for the poor guy/gal who has to write the report on it. He'll spend the next six weeks writing the thing and be hearing from insurance companies for six months.
And how many court appearances would that be?

In spite of the cold and snow and ice, one can find beauty if one looks hard enough.
These photos were taken on the MA Turnpike in the Berkshire Mt area on Jan 31 as we drove west.
The frozen waterfalls on the rock outcrops are breathtaking to see in person.
On a sunny day, they gleam and sparkle as they slowly melt.
I brightened the 2nd photo a bit to compensate for the cloudy day. The first one is untouched.

Enjoy! :flowers:

Attachments

• icewaterfallsberkshiresMA.jpg
    icewaterfallsberkshiresMA.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 145
  • icewaterfallsberkshiresMA2.jpg
    icewaterfallsberkshiresMA2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1

According to the reports I read/watched, it was really only a dozen or so car pile up. The rest of the cars were just stuck and couldn't go through or back. Still sucks. I was stuck on the DC Beltway once for 8 hours in a similar situation. No damage, but no way out. Past the last exit and the icy bridge was blocked with a bunch of wrecks. Makes for a good headline, though.

~25 years ago there was a serious white-out here with major pileup & fire & several dead people.

According to the reports I read/watched, it was really only a dozen or so car pile up. The rest of the cars were just stuck and couldn't go through or back. Still sucks. I was stuck on the DC Beltway once for 8 hours in a similar situation. No damage, but no way out. Past the last exit and the icy bridge was blocked with a bunch of wrecks. Makes for a good headline, though.
That's good to know. The local reports at the time made it sound much worse than it apparently was. I was wondering why I never saw any more info about the whole thing.

No piles of snow here, thank you:)!

Attachments

• IMG_0095[1].jpg
    IMG_0095[1].jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 2
It dipped below freezing last night, although it was 34 by the time I got up.

It's 41F here now. Still, I worked out so hard at the gym this morning that it feels fine with no coat. I carried it with me anyway, because when I cool down I'll need it.

I hate cold weather. That's all.:(

Yep.

My brother lives on the Oklahoma Panhandle / Texas Panhandle border. I enjoy it when his temps are single digit and ours are 60+. However, that didn't happen with this front. Our wind chill was in the single digits. You folks north of I20 do not need to share your cold weather with us. If we want to freeze our... well - you know what.... off, we'll visit.

Now I have to take two Excedrin 'cause I just fell flat on my back walking on the brick walk to the barn. Note to self: black ice is not a northern problem. It took me a minute to get up only because the dogs were standing over me wondering what I was doing....OK... they were laughing at me....

Tuck and roll... tuck and roll...

Forecast for here is a high of 0F for Saturday and a low -22F for Saturday night.

Yep.

My brother lives on the Oklahoma Panhandle / Texas Panhandle border. I enjoy it when his temps are single digit and ours are 60+. However, that didn't happen with this front. Our wind chill was in the single digits. You folks north of I20 do not need to share your cold weather with us. If we want to freeze our... well - you know what.... off, we'll visit.

I'm about 5 miles north of I-20. I guess that makes me a Yankee.:-\

Attachments

• yankee.jpg
    yankee.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1
I'm about 5 miles north of I-20. I guess that makes me a Yankee.:-\

Well, we can make some exceptions. :cool: Only because you've been hit with some really bad weather recently and you were kind enough to pull it your way before it came my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom