This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm focusing on the sunshine today and not the forecast for later this week in Chicago--the sky is blue and cloudless right now, my southern-exposure office is toasty with all the blinds wide open, and it's the same sun that's shining on the Caribbean, right?

I was wondering if they still had that uniform (a relative is a retired Navy Officer).
Navy's going through a huge uniform upheaval. They're getting rid of khakis & dungarees in favor of something that looks like USMC shirts/black trou and blue cammies. Spouse said that's the real reason she retired.

On sea duty I wore blue coveralls or the grungiest khakis I could find at the thrift store. Kinda hard to get excited about a new uniform, but "Task Force Uniform" swears that it's a hit...

A helpful suggestion - there is a spray window de-icer that you can get in automotive stores to melt ice quickly vs wrecking your hands and upper body. It does not hurt the car finish.
Does that "de-icer spray" consist of brine with rubbing alcohol?

When I was last living in winter (years ago) I'd apply a unique home-grown all-organic liquid door-lock de-icer, but it was usually warmed to about 98 degrees before use. Not sure I'd be able to store enough at that temperature to handle six windows and a couple side-view mirrors...

Not only is it very cold today, it is windy. Two of our local ski hills have closed today and for tomorrow because of the cold. I went for a walk around the block after riding my exercise bike. I put on my parka with fur ruffed hood. Still had a bit of trouble breathing in the cold air.

69 degrees here. I'm baking a cold/flu out on the roof in the sunshine. Rough. They're planning full sun through Sunday, temps. continuing in the low to mid 60s. Shorts and a tanktop required.

For this area, this is called "the January thaw" as it usually rains for months along with bone chilling dampness, and cold temps. that require wool coats and earmuffs; where did I leave that umbrella.

Navy's going through a huge uniform upheaval. They're getting rid of khakis & dungarees in favor of something that looks like USMC shirts/black trou and blue cammies. Spouse said that's the real reason she retired.

On sea duty I wore blue coveralls or the grungiest khakis I could find at the thrift store. Kinda hard to get excited about a new uniform, but "Task Force Uniform" swears that it's a hit...

Does that "de-icer spray" consist of brine with rubbing alcohol?

When I was last living in winter (years ago) I'd apply a unique home-grown all-organic liquid door-lock de-icer, but it was usually warmed to about 98 degrees before use. Not sure I'd be able to store enough at that temperature to handle six windows and a couple side-view mirrors...

Crude but effective.

Up in Wisconsin, we're expecting at least -30 windchills later this week. It's a mild 1 degree with -16 wind chill right now. We had 4 inches of snow last night which was heavily salted and melted just in time for the temps to drop 20 degrees so the roads can freeze before we get another 3-4 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning. Love winter:rolleyes:
Now I understand why the BIL is flying down from Milwaukee to Phoenix for the Barrett Jackson auto show.

I would think the "container" would get too cold when exposed to the cold weather that caused the ice and that wouldn't be worth it.;)

I think I would have a little trouble with the application, personally....

Boy I feel sorry for you americans this time of the year...

GTG, going to the beach in this ugly town where I live::cool::cool::cool:

800pxelevador_lacerda_salvador_bahi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another horrifyingly cold day here with the wind chills below 50 below and the early am temps in the hinterlands in the 40s below. But the world is now full of wussies. They closed the schools. Never did they close schools for the cold when I was a kid!

I need to go to the store. Please oh please let the wind die down!

My hometown was 39 below this morning. Here closer to the lake it was 23 below. The car tends to complain a bit at these temps so I am staying in. Cranked up the gas fireplace in the kitchen, which was down into the 50s this am.

33 here with 22 wind chill factor. Might as well be 23 below, can't play golf.:(

Another horrifyingly cold day here with the wind chills below 50 below and the early am temps in the hinterlands in the 40s below. But the world is now full of wussies. They closed the schools. Never did they close schools for the cold when I was a kid!

You're allowed to be a wussie too, and stay home and make do instead of going to the store. In fact, I urge you to do so. The cold weather and wind in your area sounds brutal, and dangerous!

It was -17° when I crawled out of bed at about 9 a.m. this morning....but the sun is shining bright, and there's only a slight breeze...It ain't too bad out!!! I shoveled the snow and spread a little 'ice melt' yesterday while it was a balmy +11°. The high today is supposed to be -2°.....but the sun is shining bright!

I'm really glad that I don't have to get out in this to go to work anymore...that always s*cked! I will, however, venture out to the grocery store and to the coffee shop a little later on. It's cold...but hey, it's Winter time! If it were warm and toasty, it would be Summer, right?

Way back when......when I was in grade school, we only had about 1 day off because of snow and/or cold. Of course we weren't 'bused' in either, like kids so often are these days. We just bundled up, and walked....all the horse-play & snowball fights on the way to & from school kept us warm! I don't recall anyone during my 9 years (K-8th), dying from exposure, or getting buried alive in a snow drift, or any other of those type tragedies, on their way to or from school. Maybe kids were just smarter back then, I dunno. They didn't even close the school for the big snow storm of '67 or '68 (whichever it was).....the ones that could make it in, made it, and the ones that weren't able to make it in, didn't....me and all my friends made it in! And, man, did we have some awesome snowball fights enroute! :D

Now little Johnny and little Sally get bused to school...even though it may only be 2 blocks from their home! Plus, they have to stand out in the cold and snow longer waiting for the dang bus, than it would take them to hoof it to school! And when the weather and/or roads are worse, they have to wait even longer because the buses run late....sooo, I haven't quite figured out the benefit of them busing local neighborhood kids to local neighborhood schools. :confused:

Went on a southern holiday 10 days ago. The plane was supposed to leave at 7:00. At 8:30 they announced that we'd leave when the plane was de-iced, trouble was that they couldn't de-ice until the temperature rose to -40. Left at 13:00. Lovely 10 days with no snow!

I would think the "container" would get too cold when exposed to the cold weather that caused the ice and that wouldn't be worth it.;)
Duh! :duh:
I thought he was talking about spit.
My education continues... :rolleyes:
I think I would have a little trouble with the application, personally....
More research is required, of course, but I think it's related to the length & girth of the applicator.

For those of you who haven't caught on yet, don't worry, my born-and-raised-in-Hawaii teen daughter has been hearing bits & pieces of this explanation for two days and the awful realization still hasn't dawned on her. I'm going to have to ask my spouse to take her aside for a little work with shadow figures & hand puppets...

It's so cold in Minnesota ("HOW COLD WAS IT?!?") that they've actually closed the schools here on Oahu tomorrow. I think that's the first time in at least 15 years.

List of Friday school closings keeps growing | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

For those of you who haven't caught on yet, don't worry, my born-and-raised-in-Hawaii teen daughter has been hearing bits & pieces of this explanation for two days and the awful realization still hasn't dawned on her. I'm going to have to ask my spouse to take her aside for a little work with shadow figures & hand puppets...

Ah, the realities of life in the lower 48.

Alum of SUNY Potsdam.

At -30F your breath will freeze your eyelids shut.

From the Chicago newspapers today
We posed the question, "Why do you live here?" to readers of the Chicago Tribune's Web site on Wednesday, and they responded in droves, like bitter, blue barflies seeking a sympathetic ear.

Krista Markowski of Palatine pointed a frozen finger at her ancestors: "Because my family settled here generations ago. I blame them!"

Paul Bauch of Park Ridge hit a little closer to home: "My wife makes me. I want to move to New Mexico, but she has this silly idea that it's good to live near her family."

There were staunch defenders of Chicago—"Best city in the U.S."—and those who called it a "frozen, inhospitable, arctic hellhole of a city." One person said that at least "it's better than Canada," while another said he lives here "because I'm an idiot."

Joanne Kish of Oak Forest, perhaps unwittingly, summed up the current situation: "I am going to quit whining about it now 'cause I have to go out and shovel."

And D. Edward Dunn of Mt. Pleasant, S.C., (expected high today, 54 degrees) rubbed this in our frostbitten faces: "Since moving to South Carolina in 1998, I have not yet had to shovel any rain."
We asked, you answered. Sun-Times readers finished the line "It's so cold . . ."

... Donald Trump and Blago are going head to head for best forehead warmers

. . . . my ex-wife sent me a glove, for the hand that writes the monthly checks.

. . . they're going to freeze the taxes in Chicago. That's a JOKE.

. . . Roland Burris just spells his name "Burr."

... roosters are rushing into the KFC begging to use the pressure-broilers to stay warm.

. . . I could warm my hands over Cheney's heart.

. . . I saw Smokey Bear going around yelling "Start fires, start fires!!!"

. . . the Cubs will win the World Series next year. Because hell did just freeze over, right?

. . . I leave my refrigerator open to help heat my house!

. . . Matthew McConaughey put a shirt on.

When I can't find the cans of spray windshield deicer, I put some rubbing alcohol in a 50 cent spray bottle...works wonders, no damage to the finish yet, and don't expect any.

R

Nine degrees this morning. When we retired I wanted to move to one of the Carolinas. They don't sell snow shovels and snow throwers there for a reason. And then DW has the audacity to complain about the cold!

I just ordered a battery tender for the motorcycle and put fuel stabilizer in it. Obviously it's going to be a while before I can ride it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom