This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You meant the other way around, right?

No.

Say, the tank is at 0F. Propane can still boil at a temperature as low as -44F, so it has no problem evaporating, turning from a liquid into a gas and exiting the tank. Butane stays liquid below 32F, so it stays behind in the tank.

No.

Say, the tank is at 0F. Propane can still boil at a temperature as low as -44F, so it has no problem evaporating, turning from a liquid into a gas and exiting the tank. Butane stays liquid below 32F, so it stays behind in the tank.

Sorry! Misread the original post. :facepalm:

Where I am, cold weather is not a problem. It gets down to below freezing at most 1 or 2 nights a year, and it has not been that cold in 10 years. Summer heat is the problem though, if electricity gets cut.

Enter my DIY solar system. It produces more than 30 kWh today. Production will be higher in the summer. With my battery storage, it's enough to run 1 of the 2 minisplit ACs all 24 hours.

Another potential problem is water. Texas is having a real problem with the water supply right now.

I don't know the risk of the water supply here, but this potential problem is solvable. My 25,000-gal swimming pool comes in handy here. The water is somewhat salty with a lot of minerals, due to the residue from chlorination. If I want to be a thorough prepper, will need to set up a portable RO filter system to get good potable water. I just looked, and it will cost less than a mere $300.

You also probably get a break on your fire insurance. We used to have a small pond less than 100 feet from our house. I forget how much that saved us, but it was better than the proverbial stick in the eye.

Due to potential of hurricanes, we keep a gallon of water (just regular bottled water) for each of us for 7 days. That's easily less than $20 worth. We keep a 32 gallon plastic storage box in each bathroom for toilet flushes. IF we run out of flush water, we could probably get it from the condo pool but would have to count on the elevator for the dozen floor trip - fortunately, it is backed up with diesel power. Not sure how long that would last, so I'd be the first one in line to bring up buckets of pool water if the power fails for more than a few hours. YMMV

The people I know don't have that large of tanks (1000 gal). If stored it has to be above ground the tank has to be inside a containment container. Most that have generators here are rural people and use their tractors and have fuel on site. Very few have larger then 10KVA (~85Amps) equivalent generator and most equivalent to a 5 or 7 KVA transformer. They don't need to run the whole house and generally wouldn't run it continuously. In rural area it is very common to be out of power and people don't get that excited. Most don't even call it in because they know one of the neighbors most general already has.

Just want to add for clarity is containment container is required for gas or diesel tanks here. A spillage environmental protection law.

Off subject but the "anywhere strike matches" are almost impossible to find. The stick matches now you have to have that striking patch that is on the box where the matches are in.

Last edited:
Not really sure why you would expect that "given their nature." Wind turbines are utilized in Scandanavia and Canada - they just have to be winterized. Texas utilities determined it would cost too much for a situation that would never happen. Never turned out to be not so long a time. As for solar, it works fine in the winter unless snow builds up too much. In fact once the sky clears, the sun comes out and the temperature drops, solar panels actually produce more electricity! Yes, it's a fact that solar output is inversely related to temperature.

Wind turbines also work in the Antarctic where it can drop to -72 with much more than two inches of snow.

https://www.antarctica.gov.au/antar...s-and-operations/renewable-energy/wind-power/

As for solar panels, they are much more efficient in cooler weather than hot weather.

I agree. It was UPS. The Amazon vans come all the way to the house, but the bigger UPS vans may have a tougher time. I think I’m in for an extended period of UPS deliveries at the street. Good thing they text when the stuff is delivered.

At least it made it close to your house. I have been expecting a "next day air" since last Friday from UPS. It's been in town for 3 days but isn't leaving the warehouse. The roads aren't great, but they are certainly passable. Even the USPS has been delivering... :cool:

Watching what is happening in TX is heartbreaking. We have had some ridiculous weather where we are (also water shortages, some rolling blackouts, LOTS of busted pipes) but nothing like what is happening there. It's a wake up call as well... normal "preparation" steps may not be sufficient. I can tell you that I didn't give too much thought about not being able to have NG for our generator, but it's a very real possibility.

Solar panels not too effective when snow covered though. And turbines useless with no wind. Plans are needed for deal with this lack of persistent power generation.
Maybe, coal and NG or even oil? :cool:

Last edited:
Come to think of it, diesel engines can run on vegetable oil, which is renewable.

And there are fast growing trees one can plant for firewood.

It's easier if there is more arable land. And people need to live in smaller more energy efficient homes. Drive smaller and slower cars too, darn it!

Here in sunny San Antonio we now have electricity but no water. It’s cold. In the 20’s and snowing. No electricity for 2 days, no water for 3. It’s cold. Our bug-out bag supplies have helped but I am adding a car powered pot and tea pot to it. Also, couple of lithium powered lights. It’s cold and gets dark early. Did I mention it’s cold?

Praying for an early spring.

Here in sunny San Antonio we now have electricity but no water. It’s cold. In the 20’s and snowing. No electricity for 2 days, no water for 3. It’s cold. Our bug-out bag supplies have helped but I am adding a car powered pot and tea pot to it. Also, couple of lithium powered lights. It’s cold and gets dark early. Did I mention it’s cold?

So glad you have electricity and water back!

Louisiana and the country as a whole have been so concerned about the unusually cold weather and resulting blackouts in Texas. Let's hope it warms up in your area soon.

So many here have it worse. Especially those with very young and older family members. We found ways to have our morning, hot coffee[emoji106]

So weird. Central TX sees a snowfall of more than an inch less than once in a decade. We had 5 inches on Monday and have another 3 inches today, and it is still snowing.

Happiness is having power and water...

So many here have it worse. Especially those with very young and older family members. We found ways to have our morning, hot coffee[emoji106]

Well, that's a start.... :LOL:

Our electric company here sent a scary, stern email to us threatening similar rolling blackouts here immediately if we don't cut back on electricity usage. So far, no blackouts in our neighborhood but after reading about Texas' situation we are concerned.

So weird. Central TX sees a snowfall of more than an inch less than once in a decade. We had 5 inches on Monday and have another 3 inches today, and it is still snowing.

That's for sure! BTDT I can't even begin to imagine that much snow in Central Texas.

Well, that was a dud for us here in NWVA. They had predicted 3-6" or 5-8", depending on which weather guesser you watch. We got about 2" of little ice pellets, and it's over. I shoveled it up pretty quickly, although there's a slight coating that I couldn't scrape up. But we're supposed to get an Amazon package today, so I felt duty bound to make it as easy on them as I could.

Yes but those fuels are plentiful and industries employ millions of people in well paying jobs.

Sounds like a risky scheme.

Silly of me to even suggest it....:)

Praying for an early spring for you too! And for all those without power/heat/water!

October 2013 we experienced winter storm Atlas here in SD, with record snows, 70 mph winds, downed trees everywhere. We went five days without power and with no way to get out to the highway because of massive trees across the roads, escape wasn't an option. The kids slept in sleeping bags in front of the wood stove and we melted snow to flush the toilets. We had a generator to run the refrigerator, so we were better off than some. It was a real wake up call for us. I can't even imagine how hard this is for those that don't live in snow country!

Come to think of it, diesel engines can run on vegetable oil, which is renewable.

And there are fast growing trees one can plant for firewood.

It's easier if there is more arable land. And people need to live in smaller more energy efficient homes. Drive smaller and slower cars too, darn it!

None of this is the problem. It's too many people. Break out the Life Clock crystals and the Carousel.

So, not really out of the ordinary, as long as it’s the last snowfall for the rest of the century. :)

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom