Three days and a wake up left.

setab

Recycles dryer sheets
Assuming my liver holds up, I have three days and a wake up call to check out left. I can't tell you how exciting it is! I used to wake up at night worrying about work, now I wake up excited about life. I am more intellectually stimulated than I have been in years. Last night it was wings and beer with a recent retiree and a good friend. Tonight it is more wings and beer with office mates; tomorrow my wife and I are switching to wine and seafood with good friends eager to help us celebrate; Sunday is a huge wine tasting and wine dinner. (I'm sensing a theme here.) Monday is a planned recovery day, at least for now. Were all ofr you FIRED folks pumped up before the big day?

setab

We'll see. I am still working, maybe 2 years to go, maybe less. My wife will be retiring in 3 months and I would describe her as getting more nervous. Her identity is tied up in teaching in a way that my work is not tied into my job. So until she gets into some post retirement projects or volunteer teaching I expect she will be a bit tense.
Best solution, send her to visit the grandchild.

Yakers,

I was nervous too, until I made the decision. After that, no problem! There are just too many things out there to do to worry,

setab

3 days and a Wake up - I have not heard that since I left the Navy 30 years ago!

The big day! - Well, the big day was a big year for myself. It did not go that well for me mostly because I was not prepared for it. It took me a year to settle in and then I loved it.

I remember when I was working and thinking that retirement was like vacation. It's not, it's different. You still have to take out the garbage etc. etc.

Social Contacts have to be pursued and nutured. No one beats down your door. It was an adjustment for myself and now of course, I would not have it any other way. The first 6 months were the toughest.

CT,

Yep the garbage is still mine; my wife made that clear, but at least I have all day to get it done now. I work for the Army, by the way, which explains the title. Several of my buddies have either gone out recently or are going, so we are already setting up our tee times.

setab

setab said:
Were all ofr you FIRED folks pumped up before the big day?
Ooooooh, yeah-- for about three years!

The week before is pretty nice, but the best of all is the day after... and the day after that is almost as good... and the one after that is great too...

setab said:
Yakers,

I was nervous too, until I made the decision.  After that, no problem!  There are just too many things out there to do to worry,

setab

I was nervous up to making the decision and for about a week afterward. I gave notice exactly 100 days before my last day. I am now on day 63 and counting down. Can hardly wait for the day to come. It is coming way too slowly.

Back
Top Bottom