Throw away all owner's manuals

The problem with many online manuals, is that for older units sometimes (out of warranty, out of support) they might not always be easy to find...and not quickly when you need them.

Given this group's penchant for getting several more years of use out of things than the average consumer, do you really want to trust that GE still has the warranty online for the microwave you're still rocking from 1998?

Now, GE may be the exception and keep stuff online forever, but smaller companies less so.

No harm in keeping paper manuals...they take up no space at all and you can make notes in them if you find a replacement part that is different than the original.

I use my 67" TV as a computer monitor, so I also download a PDF so I that can view manuals on a large screen...it comes in handy looking at the "blow apart" pics of my riding mower which could have one picture with 80 different parts and tiny printing.

I read the KonMari method book, and she says to throw them out, but I'm not going to.

I keep the English language portion in a file cabinet, sorted by item class and I usually have the date purchased written on it, and the serial number or model number.

On the plus side, I can find out what model number I bought without laying my hands on the actual item (and probably having to get a flashlight, crawl around, get dusty, etc). So more of an office job to find a replacement part, for instance, than a blue collar job. And if my file cabinet doesn't get destroyed, it's a record for if I have an insurance claim. On the minus side, it takes about 3 linear feet of file cabinet space, and I don't go (haven't gone) through and systematically removed things I no longer own.

Many things don't come with anything but a "getting started" sheet, which doesn't even have words (only pictures). Or you get a really tiny abbreviated manual and they refer you to the online PDF.

We keep the paper manuals in a special drawer downstairs with the receipt stapled to the first page so we have it if something goes out while in warranty. True you can usually find it online, but if the item is a lawn mower it is a pain to have to go back and forth or print out the relevant pages. Sometimes just because something can be done on a computer doesn't mean it is more efficient to do so.

OTOH, if printed the manual for the Dell E525w printer we recently bought would be over 500 pages. No way I'm gonna print that!

We keep the paper manuals in a special drawer downstairs with the receipt stapled to the first page so we have it if something goes out while in warranty. True you can usually find it online, but if the item is a lawn mower it is a pain to have to go back and forth or print out the relevant pages. Sometimes just because something can be done on a computer doesn't mean it is more efficient to do so. ...

But it doesn't have to be either/or. I usually do both (as mentioned earlier). Use whatever tool is the best at the time. Sometimes that's the paper copy, sometimes it's the pdf. You aren't locked in. That's efficiency.

Along these lines, I have downloaded the manuals for my kids cars, when they were living at home. I've had them call with problems, and it really helps to be able to talk it over - them with the paper manual that's kept in the car, and me looking at my computer. But no way am I going to print or buy a second copy of their manual to keep around the house. But it takes up so little space on a hard drive, why not? Just in case.

-ERD50

I keep them in a folder in my file drawer, and weed them out occasionally. I so appreciate when I buy a house and the seller has manuals to pass on. I've tried to do the same for things like appliances, boiler, water heater, garage opener, etc. On the other hand, it is true that you can find nearly everything online these days, and many of the manuals I file never get looked at again.

I can usually find a pdf of the manual online, in which case I put a pdf in a Manuals folder (which is part of my backup) and then recycle the paper copy.

As I declutter, I'm finding all sorts of instruction manuals for equipment and devices I no longer own.

I do that every few years and it frees up part of a file drawer.

Most electronics from major companies keep stuff online just about forever.

Some other stuff gets difficult , like outdoor power equipment and appliances ( mowers, tillers, washers , etc) every few years some those companies go bk or get merged, and the parts/ service info gets thinned out online for stuff over 5 years old.

You sure that's YT meandering off topic and not j4c?

I do think YT has lousy process to link related videos but I admit I had the same issue back in the days of Encyclopedia Britanica. Something that belongs on the list of things never coming back.

I download the PDFs and keep them in a shared folder (shared with DW).

I have yet to not find a manual for something simply by searching for the product number along with "user guide".

We used to have a (physical) folder filled with the paper versions of these things, but the PDFs are less of a fire hazard!

If you ever plan to resell the item (eBay) original boxes, manuals, etc will fetch a higher price.

Agreed. Having the manual, and even the original box if it's not to difficult to store, helps show you are thoughtful and meticulous, and so probably took good care of the item.

I'm having trouble finding parts for an Ace pump up sprayer made by Chapin. I have several sprayers but the manual for the one I need is missing and they are not available online.

Back
Top Bottom