Timer for Social Media

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As a sort of ironic meta-thread:

I was getting concerned that maybe I was spending too much time on social media, so I decided to time myself. I figured 30 minutes per day should be my limit.

I bought a 30-minute sand timer, and have been running it for the past 2 days whenever on ER forum or other social forums (FB excepted - that's for family). (Yes, I tested the timer - it ran 30.5 minutes). To "turn the timer off," you just set it on its side.

I am not even up to one full timer over the last 2 days. Guess I have nothing to worry about ;^>

In the interest of keeping my blood pressure low I probably should use an egg timer to limit my consumption of national news.

You can also get timer programs that set alarms on the computer. I assume, probably timer apps too on the phone.

This would be very easy for me, were it not for twitter!

I like the sand timer because I can just do 30 seconds or 2 minutes or 5 minutes, whatever suits me right then. With a "set" timer, I'd feel I needed to do exactly 5 minutes or whatever.

You can also get timer programs that set alarms on the computer. I assume, probably timer apps too on the phone.

What do you consider social media? I don't even have a facebook account but between watching kittens from Canada on youtube and the comment section of the Washington post I am putting in a full days work.
Oh, and a good bit of time here on ER

In the interest of keeping my blood pressure low I probably should use an egg timer to limit my consumption of national news.

+1

I must admit that I spend a bit of time here on ER, but I consider this educational, so the time doesn't count!

+1. I've cut way back in time spent and which sources I'll listen to at all, but I will listen to both/various POVs. Our expanding electorate in silos, and their representatives right and left, are setting us all back...

As a sort of ironic meta-thread:

I was getting concerned that maybe I was spending too much time on social media, so I decided to time myself. I figured 30 minutes per day should be my limit.

I bought a 30-minute sand timer, and have been running it for the past 2 days whenever on ER forum or other social forums (FB excepted - that's for family). (Yes, I tested the timer - it ran 30.5 minutes). To "turn the timer off," you just set it on its side.

I am not even up to one full timer over the last 2 days. Guess I have nothing to worry about ;^>

Interesting. See my post on "I'm curious".

I spent lots of time on online forums even when I was in my early 30s. I learn tons of stuff. While I agree I should cut back, there is a book I want to read, but I think in general they are beneficial. So why put a timer on social media. I don't even have Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat.

Comments section of the WP is a morass, not a forum :LOL::facepalm:

Now cat videos are good for your health. Not a substitute for exercise mind you, but still.

What do you consider social media? I don't even have a facebook account but between watching kittens from Canada on youtube and the comment section of the Washington post I am putting in a full days work.
Oh, and a good bit of time here on ER

Yeah, this is my only Social Media sight - so I let my other activites (or DW) be my timer (or on/off switch.) YMMV

I suppose I spend 3 hours: 2 hours on 3 forums, ER and 2xFinancial, 30 minutes on FB and 30 minutes on eMail.

I have a timer, its sounds like this"Hey, tell your money friends good bye and get off the couch." Its a variable one, if there is a honey do list, then the times goes off faster.

"Your money friends." Love it. :LOL:

I have a timer, its sounds like this"Hey, tell your money friends good bye and get off the couch." Its a variable one, if there is a honey do list, then the times goes off faster.

I have given up on watching the news. Not healthy. I spend an hour or so here and on a car forum and that's my extent of SM.

I have given up on watching the news. Not healthy. I spend an hour or so here and on a car forum and that's my extent of SM.
I agree on the unhealthy aspect of the news, especially broadcast news. I had been relying on my Google feed to give me stories I might be interested in, but it seems like that has gone off the tracks too. I got tired of 'telling' Google that I wasn't interested in a general area or a specific news provider (overly politicized on both sides) but it continued to pump in the same BS. So...now I rely on my DW to keep me up to date with anything that is actually news that 'I can use'.

I kicked FB to the curb a while back (over a year ago, I believe) and that has been one of the wisest decisions I have ever made. The only other 'social sites' I'm on is this one and one other forum and the total time I am on them is about an hour or so every 2 or 3 days.

I spend a lot of my leisure time reading books...I usually have 3 or 4 titles going at a time. I have an insatiable need for knowledge and I spend a good 4 hours or so a day learning about all sorts of things. Have I mentioned that I LOVE being retired? :)

As Mike Vance used to say "Turn off the news for a while. If the world comes to an end, someone will tell you about it."

Back
Top Bottom