Times have changed for auto industry

Ford agreed today to sell Jaguar and Land Rover to India's Tata Motors Ltd. for $2.3 billion, less than half what it paid for the two brands.

I love that name -- "Tata Motors." I want to be able to walk into one of their showrooms some day and exclaim, "Nice Tatas!" :D

I love that name -- "Tata Motors." I want to be able to walk into one of their showrooms some day and exclaim, "Nice Tatas!" :D

Hurhurhur...

"On CNN's American Morning today, in reaction to Internet Correspondent Veronica de la Cruz's report on, among other things, an Indian company taking over Jaguar and the President of Honduras eating fruit on camera, exotically-named anchor Kiran Chetry said, "She started with Tatas and ended with melons. All right. There's a theme in Veronica's news this morning." "

I own a Hyundai has ran great and never given us a problem. Heck next time around Ill consider one of their higher end cars. But now looking at those TATAS my interest is piqued.

Ford has to do something to slow down the losses. I believe that sale pretty much wipes out their losses from 2007. Hopefully they can reverse the trend and start making money again.

Innovation would help Ford. We had a Windstar van but when we went shopping a couple of years ago, the new Freestyle (some marketing genius decided to name everything in the line with F names) didn't have many improvements compared to their competitors. At least they go rid of the 8 track player.

Innovation would help Ford.

More innovation would help Ford, GM or Chrysler:rant:
GM's biggest innovation lately was On-Star (which I like from a safety standpoint), and Ford made some efforts with their Sync technology from Microsoft.
GM HAD a major opportunity for innovation with the EV1. With that technology Toyota never would have gained a foothold (or at the very least, not as big of one) in the hybrid market.
IF GM can deliver with the Volt, they may be able to take the lead. However, it has already slipped in targeted release date and I don't think the company will carry through with their plan.
I hope they surprise me;)

Who wants to buy a 'high end' car from Hyundai?

Or from the makers of THIS

You mean you think they will trash the brand more than Ford has? C'mon. The big Volvo is basically an expensive Taurus, and it is pretty obvious. I think they have done the same thing with Jag.

If Volve remained what it was 10 years ago, I would have been a prime potential customer and would probably have two in my driveway (vs. a Subaru and a Honda). Not any more. If I want one of those, I wil just by the Ford version.

Who wants to buy a 'high end' car from Hyundai?

Or from the makers of THIS

There is certainly a market for a $2,500 car. Upgraded to meet US safety/emission standards it would be what - $5,000? Still a great deal for a lot of people. It does not have A/C available, a deal-killer for many in the US, and A/C pulls about 8 hp, a big percentage of 52 hp.

But still, I think it would sell if it's reliable enough. A great short distance commuter car, but I don't want to think about what happens when it meets a Ford F-350 crew cab long bed head on.

But still, I think it would sell if it's reliable enough. A great short distance commuter car, but I don't want to think about what happens when it meets a Ford F-350 crew cab long bed head on.

I think about this more than I used to. I have never driven much, and when I owned
a car it was usually a compact. A couple weeks after retiring in 2006 I was hit square
in the driver side door by a car going about 40-45. Fortunately I was driving my
roommates Crown Vic, so the foot-deep dent in the door / frame left me without a
scratch. If I had been in one of my compacts I would have been badly injured or
killed.

You mean you think they will trash the brand more than Ford has? C'mon. The big Volvo is basically an expensive Taurus, and it is pretty obvious. I think they have done the same thing with Jag.

Some of the Jags shared a platform with the Lincoln LS model. The Lincoln LS did not sell well, although I could have bought one in 2001 that was $42,000 with every option for $27,500 after all the dealer cash was applied...........:eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom