Times must be good - displaying those tail feathers

This will set you back a cool $75 Large, but that's only a couple of month's earnings.

Heck! Maybe I should just go check the mailbox and see if I have enough there to go buy me one of them fancy trucks!

And a big cowboy hat to go with it!

and we sing well, too!

Sadly, some of us sound more like Edith Bunker than Edith Piaf these days (said W2R, looking in the mirror). But we do love to hear the singing of those who don't.

Yes, I'm looking forward to buying my first new car. I'm going to go right down the list and get everything I want and order from the factory.

I'm 62 years old and never bought a new car. That's gonna be another splurge - :)
What a great treat to give to yourself! :clap: So, if not a truck, what kind of car are you thinking of buying? Nothing more fun than reading reviews, browsing Edmunds dot com, and buying your first brand new car.
Definitely a lot more "new car" threads than a few years ago.

We're looking for a new car too :)
Interested to hear which car you choose, also!

I would buy a new car too, but I am struggling to figure out which one to buy. My Venza only has 27K miles on it and there is nothing wrong with it, so there is no rush and I have a few years to decide. That's a good thing, because when I try to select one I am torn in at least 67 different directions. But I am very interested in what cars people are choosing, and why. Moemg's brand new Rav4 sounds like a terrific choice so there's one to consider.

Last edited:
Sadly, some of us sound more like Edith Bunker than Edith Piaf these days (said W2R, looking in the mirror). But we do love to hear the singing of those who don't.

Sorry to be completely off topic. Actually anti topic in a way.
Best thing about AirBnB was having my Montreal host invite me to her party where they had sing a longs with Edith Piaf records. What a fun way to see another culture and save a buck.

https://youtu.be/kFzViYkZAz4

Yes, I'm looking forward to buying my first new car. I'm going to go right down the list and get everything I want and order from the factory.

I'm 62 years old and never bought a new car. That's gonna be another splurge - :)

I did that when I was 35, and in the middle of a divorce. In hindsight it wasn't the smartest thing to do financially, but for once I got something nice that I wanted, and that made it worthwhile. DW-to-be thought it was great because it had A/C and her car didn't. I kept that truck for 18 years and my retirement present was a special-ordered brand new 2003 GMC pickup truck. I still have it, and at 98k miles now it's just broken in.

Best thing about AirBnB was having my Montreal host invite me to her party where they had sing a longs with Edith Piaf records. What a fun way to see another culture and save a buck.

I love that song! Thanks. :D

That brings back some memories of what the media covered in the early 80s. The link above explains it well.

In the 2012-2013 time frame, in researching the nutritional value of raisin, I ran across an article about a raisin farmer in California protesting the confiscation of his raisins because he overproduced. He was penalized for being more successful than his fellow raisin farmers. What?!? Is this real?!? I researched it and it was indeed real. This "reserve" was created in 1949 as part of the New Deal.

I just followed up on this issue, and it turned out that this farmer protested all the way up to the Supreme Court, which ruled that the confiscation of overproduced raisins was unconstitutional and disbanded the "National Raisin Reserve" in 2015.

Man, this is stranger than fiction. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Raisin_Reserve.

We have read several cases in law school that illustrate how the government wastes lots and LOTS of money. I recently read a case where the USG was suing to recoup costs when a warehouse burned to the ground. What was destroyed, you ask? "Surplus" butter...yep, that's right. To prop up the price of butter, the USG would buy up the surplus and store it (and I assume eventually rot). I knew this occurred w/ corn and soybeans, but I had no idea that there were so many mechanisms in place to control so many commodities.

Case summary: "The United States commenced this action...to recover damages for commodities destroyed in a warehouse fire. The United States under a federal price-support program had acquired the destroyed commodities, including millions of pounds of surplus butter."

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-crown-equipment-corp

OK..back to your regularly scheduled post...

https://youtu.be/kFzViYkZAz4

Speaking of Edith Piaf, I managed to finally visit Père Lachaise cemetery in the most recent Paris visit, and of course I had to seek out her grave site. Took a few photos.

I don't think I have posted any here on this forum, but the photos are downloaded in a NAS drive at home and I do not have any here.

Since we are speaking of Montreal and music, may I present the incomparable Molly Johnson. One of DW favorites (mostly jazz). Have been to many of her concerts.

I was 41 years old before I bought my first new car. It was worth the wait. I still have it 14 years later. Next car is a fire engine red Caddy.

I don't like trucks, never have.

+1, I was given the keys to a week old Ford Expedition. This was when I was at work. I made it a few blocks, I tore out the bottom of the car I didnt see the high curb I was traversing. Yeah, I walked for 3 months after that , good thing there wasnt a kid on his tricycle in my path, I would have flattened him too.

The last French Canadian song I listened to was "Belleville Rendez-vous". :)

Back on the current good times, my portfolio just set another new high. My own stocks are up 0.85% today while the S&P is up 0.2%.

What can I do? I already sold plenty of out-of-the-money covered calls, and currently have about 50 contracts out on different stocks and ETFs. And they are now in-the-money, and if this holds up the other side of the trades will get my shares at below market value.

What do I do? Keep on selling? Too much money can get one worried you know? Not scared as I have been through all this before, but just a bit worried. :)

Id like to go back to my new former barber just to record his horrible voice. He should have been arrested for being a public nuisance. He had brass onions for serenading me, he made Alfalfa sound like Pavarotti.

Id like to go back to my new former barber just to record his horrible voice. He should have been arrested for being a public nuisance. He had brass onions for serenading me, he made Alfalfa sound like Pavarotti.
Hey, Alfalfa was kind of cute. :D

I'm inspired. I'm thinking of using some of my tailfeather money to buy a laptop. Anybody have any WinTel favorite laptops?

(Not really joking either!)

The only time I bragged was when I bought a condo in Mexico in 2007 at record high C$ and had to cash in a bunch of stock. Then I discovered that the COL was 40% lower! So we could live high and save money. Now we can afford a correction.

But what I really want to do is dine on fresh lobster with Robbie, and take a ride with W2R in her car. And of course I am waiting for another Whee!

One thing we have put off is the purchase of a new SUV. Maybe we should spend down the cash before it corrects?

Ok, Barry McGuire needs to inject some levity:

I'm inspired. I'm thinking of using some of my tailfeather money to buy a laptop. Anybody have any WinTel favorite laptops?

(Not really joking either!)

I'm pretty happy with my HP Probook G3 430 or something like that. 13" screen, SSD drive standard, 2.x pounds I think. Great lightweight laptop with great speeds and long battery life (probably 6-7 hours if you aren't playing 3D intensive video games :) then you only get 3-4 hrs). Paid $350 during black friday last year and regular price is $550-600 (and probably worth it). Basically same specs as a $1200 Macbook pro (except mine came with a crappier monitor but hard to tell since it's a 13" screen).

It gets great wifi reception in my hammock. :D

I'm pretty happy with my HP Probook G3 430 or something like that. 13" screen, SSD drive standard, 2.x pounds I think. Great lightweight laptop with great speeds and long battery life (probably 6-7 hours if you aren't playing 3D intensive video games :) then you only get 3-4 hrs). Paid $350 during black friday last year and regular price is $550-600 (and probably worth it). Basically same specs as a $1200 Macbook pro (except mine came with a crappier monitor but hard to tell since it's a 13" screen).

It gets great wifi reception in my hammock. :D

Thanks Fuego. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Does it come with a lot of bloatware? And did you get it online? I don't do lines on Black Friday.

..........One thing we have put off is the purchase of a new SUV. Maybe we should spend down the cash before it corrects?
That's exactly what I did. I needed to reset my AA and I did it by selling "excess" stock and buying a SUV.

Back
Top Bottom