Times must be good - displaying those tail feathers

Speaking of laptops for travel, I bought a 10" Chuwi tablet to bring along on the European travel earlier this year.

It is dual-boot Windows/Android. Screen resolution is 1920, so quite good. I paid extra for the wrap-around case with a keyboard. Its quad-core CPU is a bit slow compared to regular laptops, but still usable. Very good run-time on its battery. I bought it after reading raving reviews on the Web.

What's more is it will not cost you any tail feather, only a bit of down feather. I paid less than $250, including the detachable case/keyboard. It should be less now. I did not mind paying more for a faster small machine, but they weigh more than this one.

Last edited:
Party pooper? Perhaps but all this back slapping makes me real nervous. Let's talk about strategies to short the market...

I am contemplating acquiring more farm land. I believe farm land will drop some in the next few years, but the time to acquire it is when it is available near your operation.

I have guaranteed revenue streams that cover our expenses, so taking a loan or buying on contract is a way to lock in these low interest rates for future revenue generation. Besides, I love to farm.

What a great treat to give to yourself! :clap: So, if not a truck, what kind of car are you thinking of buying? Nothing more fun than reading reviews, browsing Edmunds dot com, and buying your first brand new car.

I'm thinking Lincoln Continental or Cadillac XTS. A little luxury for my old age, a good comfy road car for runs to Reno.

We cross-posted and I just now read yours.

The case of raisin was worse than government waste. It was about private property being confiscated, in this case part of a farmer's crop. Why? Because he was more successful than his peers, and overproduced. His raisins were taken with no guarantee of any compensation.

PS. To tie in with the thread, I will have to ask if this farmer bragged about his bumper crop. :)

“Higgledy piggledy, my black hen,
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
Gentlemen come every day
To count what my black hen doth lay.
If perchance she lays too many,
They fine my hen a pretty penny;
If perchance she fails to lay,
The gentlemen a bonus pay.

Mumbledy pumbledy, my red cow,
She’s cooperating now.
At first she didn’t understand
That milk production must be planned;
She didn’t understand at first
She either had to plan or burst,
But now the government reports
She’s giving pints instead of quarts.

Fiddle de dee, my next-door neighbors,
They are giggling at their labors.
First they plant the tiny seed,
Then they water, then they weed,
Then they hoe and prune and lop,
They they raise a record crop,
Then they laugh their sides asunder,
And plow the whole caboodle under.

Abracadabra, thus we learn
The more you create, the less you earn.
The less you earn, the more you’re given,
The less you lead, the more you’re driven,
The more destroyed, the more they feed,
The more you pay, the more they need,
The more you earn, the less you keep,
And now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to take
If the tax-collector hasn’t got it before I wake.”

-- Ogden Nash

I'm from Detroit, gotta be a US badge.

So far from what I've been reading the Lincoln is winning. Less performance, but more comfort. My go fast days are over.

Haven't even looked in person, low priority, 2003 Taurus still running well.

Hey Bir48die I view investing as a journey where we all start with some insights and build our skills based on our interests and abilities. I've met much smarter people than myself who perceive the world in a wider context, and much more limited thinking people than myself.

Since you believe your views on these topics strongly, could you at least indicate why? I suspect you are viewing total returns. Others might be willing to trade some total return for things that make them comfortable.

Trying to understand vs challenge your view. I often learn the most by views that differ than some of my own.

Just picked this up. My post basically said we all have different ways to get to the same place. I don't like when people are critical of others in their approach to wealth accumulation or management. I do enjoy those who ask questions that make me think. That's about the extent of it

I'm from Detroit, gotta be a US badge.

So far from what I've been reading the Lincoln is winning. Less performance, but more comfort. My go fast days are over.

Haven't even looked in person, low priority, 2003 Taurus still running well.
Wasn't that an excellent car!

Ha

Wasn't that an excellent car!

Ha
DW had a 2004 Taurus and put 100,000 miles on it with only oil changes, brakes and tires. She wanted a 4x4, so she gave it to her mom who continues to drive it. I think it was such an old design that Ford had finally worked the bugs out of it.

T-Al, Rewahoo , Nords ,Ha -Ha , Me and all other old time forum members . Are we crusty ? I did not think so . In fact I miss some of the humor from the old time members but I have used the Whee signal to my advantage several times . When W2 R says Whee I skim off profits . This has been more successful than any newsletter .
(emphasis mine)
Oh my, there must have been some kind of miscommunication going on there, Moe. :eek: Deep breaths! :LOL: I'm not wildly insulting individual popular forum members here.

Of course, among the five members you (not me) specified, nearly all have become close friends with me over the years, and they with me. Many of us keep in touch through numerous posts and PMs back and forth through the years, and I think many of us recall the tone of the board ten or fifteen years ago with nostalgia, and laugh together about some aspects of how it has changed since then. People come and people go.

My point was that actually before my Wheee!! thread, I don't recall seeing frequent positive threads like this one, in which people were talking about good times and displaying those tail feathers. Maybe you are right and everyone was just bubbling over with glee at the record market gains of that time? All those threads are still on the board, for anyone who wants to read them.
I remember the aftermath of that "Whee!" thread. Brutal. And yet the Dow is up over 50% since then...

--------------

I'll repeat what used to be frequent commentary here about a decade ago: this forum started out as a quiet neighborhood bar where everybody knows your name. Heck, it didn't even have moderators. Then bandwidth happened (along with a bunch of good FIRE information), and this place evolved into a combination of the Los Angeles Coliseum + the Rose Bowl. (A few of us even regrouped in a private forum named "The Bar".) That's not intended to be laudatory or pejorative, just an observation that it ain't what it used to was.

These days I spread my time among Bogleheads, MrMoneyMustache, the Reddit /financialindependence subforum, the Dollar Stretcher forums, about 20 Facebook groups, and Twitter. Each forum (including this one) is aging in different ways... some good, some not so good.

I don't try to read every thread in those places (I can't even do that here) but rather search for my poster name and military-related keywords. It's how I find military readers, it's where I get Q&A and ideas for more blog posts & books, and I've made many more friends at other sites as well. If you're not spreading your wings (and tailfeathers) beyond E-R.org then you're missing out.

Last edited:
These days I spread my time among Bogleheads, MrMoneyMustache, the Reddit /financialindependence subforum, the Dollar Stretcher forums, about 20 Facebook groups, and Twitter. Each forum (including this one) is aging in different ways... some good, some not so good.
Thanks Nords. Facebook kind of turned me off over the years, mostly through the way advertising is presented. I know it drives the world and I have no problems with the format on ER.org. FB, blah.

But more importantly, it sounds like there really are good forum areas on facebook? I've had trouble finding things of value there.

Anyway, thanks for your insight.

It's "Bogleheads"

We're much smarter here then the MMM crowd and way better looking than the Bogelheads.

It's Bogleheads

...and they don't generally talk about dryer sheets there....although there was just a weird thread about TP

and, what, you don't want to discuss "Gordon vs New York Stock Exchange " Supreme Court decision of 1975 and it's effects or the Buttonwood Agreement of 1792?

or Guyton-Klinger versus Variable Portfolio Withdrawal Method discussions?

Last edited:
It's Bogleheads

...and they don't generally talk about dryer sheets there....although there was just a weird thread about TP

and, what, you don't want to discuss "Gordon vs New York Stock Exchange " Supreme Court decision of 1975 and it's effects or the Buttonwood Agreement of 1792?

or Guyton-Klinger versus Variable Portfolio Withdrawal Method discussions?

Guess that would beat discussing retiring at 28 by not wasting money on toothpaste at MMM

Back
Top Bottom