Tipping

Sometimes DW and I might offer them food and snacks while they work. For example, when we had folks repaving our driveway it was a hot day, and we put out a cooler with drinks, sandwiches and snacks and told them to help themselves.

When my brother had a house moved on to a new foundation, he found out that the crew was planning to drive to town (he lives 15 minutes outside of a small town) for lunch. They made a pot of coffee for the crew in the morning and put together a tray of sandwiches for their lunch and provided a cooler with water and other drinks. A small gesture like that goes a long way and will often pay off if the crew has to do a little "extra" during the job.

Last year, we hired a landscape crew for a set price for 8 hours' work. I reported in this forum on my displeasure with their service.

While they were still doing a good job (in the morning) they took a break, and I brought them hot coffee and homemade cookies. They asked me to bring them more of both! I actually think this set up an expectation in their little minds that we were soft touches. Service went downhill after that break (and no, it was not because we gave them alcohol...we did not).

I did offer them bottles of water while they were here . There were actually three installers but only one was hinting very heavily for a tip . The others had already left .

People I tip:
- Servers and bartenders who provide table service (or bar service) (15-25%)
- Food delivery drivers (10-15%)
- Taxi drivers, Lyft and Uber drivers (10-15%)
- Bellboys, valets, and curbside baggage checkers (a few bucks)
- Anyone who performs a service as a "hook-up" - the guy at the body shop who worked out a bumper dent for no charge because it was easy and I happened to be in uniform. (depends on the service)
- Hotel housekeepers for longer stays. (usually $10-20/week or so)
- The guys at the car wash ($1-2)

People I don't tip:
- Cashiers/staff at take out restaurants with "tip" jars
- Movers, unless they go above and beyond
- Baristas (unless I ask for something funky or am a regular)
- Service repairmen or installers, etc.
- Basically anyone else

In a lot of states, food service staff makes a lower minimum wage than standard, thus they make all of their money off of tips. Not so in CA, but I still tip well here for average or better service. As a former server and bartender, I appreciated tips that recognized good service, so I always tip at least 15% (unless the person is just disrespectful or otherwise terrible) for service and usually 20% or more for good service.

Last edited:
If you are like most American you rarely or never tip cashiers, hostesses, amusement park attendants, fast food counter, movie theater ushers? These are the lowest paying jobs in the US, yet they are not usually tipped.

And it would certainly be awkward if tipping were in fact determined by income: you would need to know someone's income to know how whether and how much to tip. And they would need to know your income to know whether to expect one (following your example).

It is also right to tip someone who makes more than you do. For example, fast food workers are still expected to tip for table service in a restaurant.

Wait staff and bartenders are tipped positions, but usually not low income.

You tip them because of tradition and personal service.

I see your point, I suppose, the tradition of tipping originated with rich folks ensuring they get extra quality service has spread out to a general expectation of everyone tipping (in America).

I gotta make my own tip jar as I've been missing out. :facepalm:

I never tip a lawyer nor a doctor as they make enough, actually more than me, they should tip me for letting them practice ;)

I don't tip doctors or nurses, but I have been known to give them small boxes of chocolate truffles to demonstrate I appreciate what they do for me.

People I tip:
- Servers and bartenders who provide table service (or bar service) (15-25%)
- Food delivery drivers (10-15%)
- Taxi drivers, Lyft and Uber drivers (10-15%)
- Bellboys, valets, and curbside baggage checkers (a few bucks)
- Anyone who performs a service as a "hook-up" - the guy at the body shop who worked out a bumper dent for no charge because it was easy and I happened to be in uniform. (depends on the service)

People I don't tip:
- Cashiers/staff at take out restaurants with "tip" jars
- Movers, unless they go above and beyond
- Baristas (unless I ask for something funky or am a regular)
- Service repairmen or installers, etc.
- Basically anyone else

This is basically my list, too, although I would add one more under the 'people I tip' category: hotel housekeepers. I always leave a $1 or $2 tip for the housekeeping staff for each night I stay at a hotel. I'm sure they make minimum wage or not much more, and what an awful job to have to do day-in and day-out.

I also usually tip the folks at the car wash who do all the detail work after my car goes through the automated machine with the big spinning brushes and sprayers. Usually give about $3-$5 total, but I always wonder if this is the "normal" or "right" amount. My neighbor once told me she tipped them $10!

I never tip anyone who I've contracted to perform a service at my house. As others have said, if it's a hot day and they're doing physically taxing work for multiple hours, I'll offer water or drinks. Just seems like the right thing to do on a human level.

This is basically my list, too, although I would add one more under the 'people I tip' category: hotel housekeepers. I always leave a $1 or $2 tip for the housekeeping staff for each night I stay at a hotel. I'm sure they make minimum wage or not much more, and what an awful job to have to do day-in and day-out.

I also usually tip the folks at the car wash who do all the detail work after my car goes through the automated machine with the big spinning brushes and sprayers. Usually give about $3-$5 total, but I always wonder if this is the "normal" or "right" amount. My neighbor once told me she tipped them $10!

I never tip anyone who I've contracted to perform a service at my house. As others have said, if it's a hot day and they're doing physically taxing work for multiple hours, I'll offer water or drinks. Just seems like the right thing to do on a human level.
Dang it. Now I have to update the list! :LOL:

Anyone who does an exceptionally good or fast job for me always gets a tip. Delivery people, small business workers, etc. Frequently they don't expect it at all and are a bit reluctant to take it at first, but if I think they should be rewarded for exceeding my expectations, I will insist because it makes me feel good.

Agree, I tip this way as well. Usually $20-50 depending on the service. Especially for weekend work or very fast responses. Trying to spread a little $ around. Most of these guys work pretty hard for little money. The regular guys, gardeners, pool guy, pest guy, house cleaners, handy man, etc get a little cash at Christmas as well. This does add up with multiple homes, but we rely on these people and want them committed to us.

So, after playing nine holes, I go into the clubhouse and ask the bartender for a can of soda. He passes it across the counter and I pay. Should I feel bad if I don't tip him? Yes, he is a bartender, but no... he didn't even open the can for me.

I would ask... would you tip the mechanic who worked on your car:confused:

Yes. I have used the same local mechanic for repairs and services that either I can't or won't perform myself on our vehicles,for the past 20 yrs. Sometimes he'll find nothing wrong after a few hrs of investigating, or just charge me nothing because the job was so small. That warrants a gratuity as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen other customers give him 50 bucks or so for going a decent job and not ripping them off.

_B

We had a new air conditioning system installed today and at the end of it one of the installers was stalling . I think he was hinting for a tip .It was so obvious that I was not sure what to do but I have never tipped someone who is doing work on my house before . Was I wrong ? Are we now tipping repairmen ?

Congratulations on getting your new AC system installed!

I think that whether or not you tip, would depend on how you felt about the job they did and if you felt they earned a tip. I don't think it is required but it would be the nice thing to do if you felt they deserved it.

As we keep expanding the tip universe, I think we will become more and more like some other countries, where you tip the policeman for stopping you when speeding, as he did a good job of catching you. :facepalm:

Rather than tipping good contractors, I promote their business by recommending them to others. In a few cases, that has earned me a discount due to the amount of business I have directed their way.

Waaaay back in the day when I was doing HVAC repairs/maintenance on Sears equipment I never expected a tip. The only time I did get one was a Japanese (I think) guy gave me a bottle of wine but I think that was more a cultural thing than a gesture of appreciation. And one nice lady made us sandwiches and iced tea when we were replacing an A/C compressor on her central A/C. Those were usually about a four-hour job.

As we keep expanding the tip universe, I think we will become more and more like some other countries, where you tip the policeman for stopping you when speeding, as he did a good job of catching you. :facepalm:

Soon we will be slipping our Dentist $40 for a root canal .

I think tipping is getting out of hand. contractors that come in to your home and do work, do so at a fair wage and are expected to do a good job, If they did a poor job would they allow you to cut their pay? usually when you hire someone you expect a certain level of expertise, which you pay for. why would you tip them to do work that is at the level required.

I did that once. I did not feel that I got what was in the contract, so I wrote a note on the contract then wrote a check for the contracted amount minus what I thought was missing. The business owner mailed me a receipt and a typed note thanking for my business.

Edit to add: Now that I think back 30 years, I have done this at least twice.

I don't tip
My banker
My lawyer
My dentist
My doctor

I do tip
My handymen for exceptional work/responsiveness
My waiter for good service

Others depend on the situation.

I don't tip cows either.

Attachments

• cow-tipping.jpg
    cow-tipping.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
I was a caddy for years and recall very well the impact tips had on my income. I wasn't making minimum wage but difference between $25 and $35 for loop was huge to me. I provided consistently good service to everyone at the club -- good tipper or bad tipper I worked hard and was quite good at what I did.

I remember very well the rich old codgers who couldn't be bothered to tip more than $1.50 for 5.5 hours of shagging my butt thru weeds and trees chasing their crappy shots. And yes, some of them would actually tip in $0.50 increments. I'll never forget caddying after the crash of '87 when one guy bragged on the 4th tee that he had personally lost $20m the day before. He didn't seem too stressed about it. This guy who wasn't too stressed gave me a $2 tip that day. (I was one of the top ranked honor caddies at the club.). What a jerk.

I also remember how I felt about the people of all ages who were simply great to me. Treated me well and were always good for $5 tip per bag and a hot dog at the turn. They had means and I was still earning mine. To this day I have a book on golf that one guy gave me when I left for college...it had a note from him and a $100 bill inside. These were great people and their $5s were, at the margin, the difference between eating ramen noodles or not.

I'm on the other side now: I have substantial means and receive services of all sorts.

I try to tip generously to younger people in particular. I consider this a societal version of paying it back (or paying it forward depending on one's viewpoint). That $5 that I won't notice missing at the end of month allowed someone to eat tuna fish instead of ramen noodles.

I was a caddy for years and recall very well the impact tips had on my income. I wasn't making minimum wage but difference between $25 and $35 for loop was huge to me. I provided consistently good service to everyone at the club -- good tipper or bad tipper I worked hard and was quite good at what I did.

I remember very well the rich old codgers who couldn't be bothered to tip more than $1.50 for 5.5 hours of shagging my butt thru weeds and trees chasing their crappy shots. And yes, some of them would actually tip in $0.50 increments. I'll never forget caddying after the crash of '87 when one guy bragged on the 4th tee that he had personally lost $20m the day before. He didn't seem too stressed about it. This guy who wasn't too stressed gave me a $2 tip that day. (I was one of the top ranked honor caddies at the club.). What a jerk.

I also remember how I felt about the people of all ages who were simply great to me. Treated me well and were always good for $5 tip per bag and a hot dog at the turn. They had means and I was still earning mine. To this day I have a book on golf that one guy gave me when I left for college...it had a note from him and a $100 bill inside. These were great people and their $5s were, at the margin, the difference between eating ramen noodles or not.

I'm on the other side now: I have substantial means and receive services of all sorts.

I try to tip generously to younger people in particular. I consider this a societal version of paying it back (or paying it forward depending on one's viewpoint). That $5 that I won't notice missing at the end of month allowed someone to eat tuna fish instead of ramen noodles.

I like you philosophy!

On a side note, the daughter of some good friends caddied at a local private course. They were NOT members, nor could they afford to be at the time. She did well as a caddie, but even better when the club members recommended her for a full ride scholarship to the state university. That was over 15 years ago, but she pays it back/forward by still being active in the fund raising for future scholars.

Hard work CAN pay off. It is not guaranteed, but doing little pretty much guarantees little.

I actually thought about tipping they installers but once the one started pressuring me for a tip I put the money away . I was at a party today and we were joking about how much should you tip on a $9,000 job .Is 10 percent okay or should I have offered 20 percent ?

This thread reminded me that I need to give a $20 tip to the house painter who is finishing up a job tomorrow. He did extra useful work without my request and thus 'exceeded my expectations' (I hate that phrase - reminds me of megacorp performance evaluations - but it's applicable in this scenario). Reading E-R.org is occasionally useful. 🙂

Great story. I agree. I like to spread a little around. It means much more to those receiving than it does to me. I don't think tipping is getting out of hand at all. Far from it.

Back
Top Bottom