Toughest job you loved

Stormy Kromer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about walking off a job.

I like working, and feel bad to have started a negative thread. I'd like to ask everyone.... what was the toughest job you ever had that you really liked, money is no factor.

For me, it would be growing up on my dad's 3rd generation farm. My dad was a seasoned veteran of the US army and a darn tough farmer from the dust bowl depression era. He had a dirt farm that he did his best to raise a family on starting when he got back from Korea in '53. I was born in '65 and we had a decent sized farm a larger mortgage. I worked along his side from the time I could walk.

He was 90 when he got out of debt, but he won. He got that farm paid for. I never would have worked that hard for nothing except for him. I never got paid anything except the satisfaction of working by him. It was great.

Logging with DB when I was 17-18. I worked my azz off and learned a lot. I'm glad I survived as I wasn't too smart and we both had weird ideas about adrenaline.

(I remember losing brakes on a fully loaded log truck on top of a mountain I felt reassured in the knowledge there was a truck stop on top of the Trucks Reduce Gear Zone 6 mile mountain. He slowed down at the entrance and got this sick grin on his face as he accelerated away. Here we go 6 miles of terror. I have a hand on the emergency brake and the other on the door handle as I'm screaming like a 12 year old. Holy F! You're nuts as we go down the winding mountain road. As we ended our ride down he explained you don't need brakes on this mountain and you can't rely on brakes. RIP).

I'd have to say my medical internship. That's the first year after graduating medical school. Pay was not much. Hours were long. Pressure was high. I pretty much spent the year constantly feeling like I never entirely knew what I was doing. But that's kind of the point - to practice medicine in a somewhat controlled, supervised environment so that you can learn all the stuff they just can't teach you in school.

That's when you really get real life first hand experience and actually get to make decisions and write orders. But you have the residents and attending physicians to ask questions to and get guidance from. It's a very difficult but rewarding learning experience.

It also includes the opportunity to help teach medical students, because as much as you feel like you don't know what you're doing, by that stage you actually know a whole lot more than the people a year or two behind you in the process, so I enjoyed that aspect of the job.

i'd have to say logging too. We tried to get rich cutting firewood for production, and had two 5 cord dump trucks, a 2 cord, the family pickup truck, and the big ticket item, a JD350 crawler loader.
I had a brake failure on the '62 Ford F700, and had to scrub off speed in the ditch on the way down from Raven Roost. There was a hard right at the bottom of that grade with about a 15' launch into an active campground.
I learned to run dozer up there and it became my entry into the Operating Engineers Union.

1987 to 2005 worked in woodshop in Bay Area building custom fireplace mantels. Foster Mantels was the name of the place and we sold though home improvement centers like Home Depot and Lowes .
Started off with no real experience. My brother was working there and really liked it. It was a lot of fun working in the shop building mantels. It was 10,000 sq foot unheated and no air conditioning shop. It could get pretty damn cold in the winter and pretty hot in the summer and we just had to deal with it the best we could. It could get pretty loud when they were running the moulding machine. Almost cut a finger off once... stupid move on my part. There was a lot of dust around too.
I worked my way into the office to do the shop orders and production scheduling. Eventually did almost everything there except accounting. It was a great job with a lot of variety through the years.

I really miss it when compared to last 15 years sitting in a cubicle doing customer service.

For the most part, I loved every day w*rking at the different coal mines over the years. Different group of employees, different wants, different needs. Pretty much I was always able to set a goal, get folks motivated, get job done. There was one guy at one mine who was a real pain in the arse, however, who I could never light the fire. Very depressing person to be around, he was a convicted pedophile but did his time, drug everyone else down. Years later, I found out he committed suicide.

Set many production records, and safety records. If it wouldn't have been for the backstabbing of fellow management folks after we were bought out, Iwould have stayed on, despite the 12 hour days. Now seven years later, i couldn't less.

There are good parts and bad parts about any job. These are two high points for me.

1.) Being the Officer of the Deck underway aboard a nuclear submarine. You are 24 years old and responsible for an incredibly complicated, multi-billion dollar boat, 120 men, a nuclear reactor and 16 nuclear missiles, and if you screw up, you just might die. I found it challenging and exciting, and it gave me confidence for the rest of my life.

2.) Being a lawyer actually on trial in the courtroom, in a case with billions of dollars at stake. Standing up in the center of a very public venue, questioning recalcitrant witnesses, verbally jousting with the other lawyer and sometimes the judge over your objections, and working to convince others with the force and clarity of your words is a thrilling experience.

Of course, the lengthy study and hard work needed to prepare myself for both of those roles was often grueling and tedious. As I look back, however, I am happy to say that I did not take the easy path.

Last edited:
Working in construction through undergrad summers and breaks...paid the most for entry-level labor.

I still drive by the residential projects (mostly apartment buildings) where I worked.

The rest of my "work life" after undergrad & grad school I just pushed paper around. :)

Shortly after graduating college, I went to work in the materials management department of a large mega corp as a commodity manager for electronic components. This entailed negotiating WW contracts covering requirement for many manufacturing plants located throughout the world. Thousands of part numbers to deal with and multiple currencies. I was on the job for maybe one month and my boss sent me to Germany to lead european semiconductor negotiations with a specific savings objective in mind and said if you cannot achieve this stretch goal, don't come back:LOL: Needless to say I learned a lot from him and loved my job to the point of spending 80-90 hrs a week building this program and expanding it to many different commodity areas.

Working for a farm chemical and fertilizer company before I left for college.

Learned how to handle 30 gallon drums of pesticide, hump 80# bags of fertilizer, fill ammonia tanks, fix pumps, run a loader, drive a loaded 2.5 ton truck and tow 8,000# trailers. All during the summer in Arizona. 50 hour weeks were common. Loved being outside and sweating.

A few years later found myself putting on a suit and working in a nice office building and never worked outside again. Still enjoy the outside sweat work and exercise.

I have always enjoyed my many different jobs... feel blessed on the varied experiences and trades Ive learned over the years. Have had many a bad day. But only one job that I truly hated... Worked for a plumber that was the most MIESRABLE MF Iv'e ever met. I worked for him for 3 weeks before quit... he hired and fired several guys in that time.. just a crew of 3...

But I loved my career as a Medic.. dealt with some of the toughest situations you could imagine, (well I hope you can't). But when someone stops you in public, hugs you and says thanks for something that happened years ago... means more than anything money can buy...

The newspaper publisher I worked for had two dailies in the same city – a “prestigious” Pulitzer winner that published in the afternoon and a smaller, understaffed, “scrappy” rival that published in the morning. In 1995, they merged. I managed to land a job amid the confusion as the “night editor.”

The old prestigious paper had had a night editor. His job was mainly to keep from falling asleep. The new merged paper was publishing in the AMs, though, and this night editor was going to have to make dozens of editorial judgments on story selection, length and play inside our local section. We also zoned editions to four areas of our circulation, so the section had to be remade four times.

It was a great job with a lot of power. I think some editors senior to me ended up kicking themselves because they had misjudged how significant it was. It was also a great fit for me because I loved the mechanics of the process, handled deadlines well and enjoyed working in the evening after all the big shots had left.

It was the best job of my career. But as hard times descended on the newspaper industry, my duties began to dwindle. Zoning was reduced and ultimately canceled; I found myself playing a lot of computer solitaire. At that point I moved to the copy desk, where I could be busier. That was fun too, in its own way, but I was no longer a linchpin.

Substitute teaching just after getting my bachelor's. It was very difficult mentally and emotionally, requiring a lot of fast, on-the-fly thinking to stay just ahead of some smart kids who had been paying attention! And I put a lot of myself into it, because if you're checked out the kids know, and I was able to win enough of them over by being present for them, but it was draining. Still, having kids recognize you when you're a sub, and having a school make you their go-to sub, was really rewarding. Still, I joke that I needed something less stressful after that -- I left to be a NYC EMT! Also right up there, though, as the toughest job I've ever loved.

The newspaper publisher I worked for had two dailies in the same city – a “prestigious” Pulitzer winner that published in the afternoon and a smaller, understaffed, “scrappy” rival that published in the morning. In 1995, they merged. I managed to land a job amid the confusion as the “night editor.”

The old prestigious paper had had a night editor. His job was mainly to keep from falling asleep. The new merged paper was publishing in the AMs, though, and this night editor was going to have to make dozens of editorial judgments on story selection, length and play inside our local section. We also zoned editions to four areas of our circulation, so the section had to be remade four times.

It was a great job with a lot of power. I think some editors senior to me ended up kicking themselves because they had misjudged how significant it was. It was also a great fit for me because I loved the mechanics of the process, handled deadlines well and enjoyed working in the evening after all the big shots had left.

It was the best job of my career. But as hard times descended on the newspaper industry, my duties began to dwindle. Zoning was reduced and ultimately canceled; I found myself playing a lot of computer solitaire. At that point I moved to the copy desk, where I could be busier. That was fun too, in its own way, but I was no longer a linchpin.

Thanks for that! I have already read this morning's version of your merged paper. :flowers:

One of my engineering jobs, I was the sole materials and process engr at an 800 employee aerospace mfg company. Spent a lot of time on the shop floor, helping the production workers and managers, helping the purchasing people with specification questions, talking with suppliers or subcontractor companies, being part of the "mgmt" structure, working with all the departments in production to fix or upgrade production processes, and approving or rejecting corrective actions. In short I was king of my area, with nobody to really rely on except myself. Also meant that I received all the credit for good decisions, or had to also take the blame if I made an error. Had a lot of responsibility and was an integral part of the successes. Location was in San Antonio so the temp in the shop could be pretty high. Overall it was a great job. Too bad it was a joint venture and went bankrupt after couple years.

My chief resident year in San Francisco at SFGH. I learned a great deal more than I had the three previous years, and I worked along side legendary pediatricians, one who became a lifelong friend.

I worked for a freight line during one summer break. I got to drive a lot of trucks (bobtails and 18 wheelers), worked on the docks, yard hostler, etc. Gave me a different perspective (and appreciation) of what goes on behind the scenes in the trucking industry. In many ways it was fun and I learned a lot, including that I'd never want to do that for a career.

In addition, I learned a new vocabulary :), many tricks of the trade and why so many things get broken, lost or delayed in shipment.

Last edited:
Ms G's company had planned a remote site in CA to run.

I wasn't working, knowing the move was coming. So I took a job in a vineyard, winery in the Lehigh Valley. Thinking that this could lead to a winery job out west.

I was one of two full time employees, which means I scrubbed toilets, picked grapes, pruned vines in February, pressed and racked wine, bottled, worked the tasting room, and gave a couple of talks about PA wines, to including the Governor.

The job was hard but satisfying, the tasting room being my favorite, "one for you, one for me.

Four years later we moved, but to Seattle instead.

The most physical labor intense job was working as an electrical lineman. Working live line of 14.4K voltages hot and climbing wood transmission pole of 70 to 100 foot with hooks and belt. It also was a stressful job working with high voltages and hanging off of poles at heights of >< 100 feet in the air with a pair of hooks and a belt.

A job I wouldn't have traded for anything in the world. It was a dream job but very tough at times of extreme weather and working conditions.

Second toughest job was being in engineering/superintendent/management job with calling the shots. A job I loved but tough in the respect of stress from on-the-spot decision making with huge implications from those decisions.

Tough for me but I loved every day of my work.

Last edited:
Mine was being a lifeguard.
I took all sorts of training for it, and was certified for pools and beaches.

I saved a number of people who would have died, if I had not been there.

Most of the time, is spent watching folks and paying attention, it's not a glamorous job.

The most physical labor intense job was working as an electrical lineman. Working live line of 14.4K voltages hot and climbing wood transmission pole of 70 to 100 foot with hooks and belt. It also was a stressful job working with high voltages and hanging off of poles at heights of >< 100 feet in the air with a pair of hooks and a belt.

A job I wouldn't have traded for anything in the world. It was a dream job but very tough at times of extreme weather and working conditions.

Second toughest job was being in engineering/superintendent/management job with calling the shots. A job I loved but tough in the respect of stress from on-the-spot decision making with huge implications from those decisions.

Tough for me but I loved every day of my work.

My great-uncle did that lineman's job in the UP many years ago.

What an interesting thread. I am humbled. Reading some of these stories, it occurred to me that, although I have had a few difficult days, I have never had a tough job. I think it has a lot to do with not stretching or challenging myself enough, but I'll save that for the shrink's couch, if I ever have one. I worked for the majority of my career doing voiceover, audio production, and DJ work. It was all pure enjoyment. Getting to see, greet, and briefly spend time with folk like Michael Jackson, James Brown, John Rotten, Neil Diamond, Morrissey, Stevie Wonder, Quentin Tarantino, Seal, Boy George, Horace Silver, Walter Becker, to name a few, was fun. I can't say that any of it was hard though.

I almost feel as if I've missed out, having had fun and fairly cushy jobs for most of my working life. One thing I can say though, is that I always turned up to work on time, and always made my deadlines. Doing what was expected of me, and when it was expected, was always important.

Unrestricted Naval Aviator (Navy helicopter pilot). Working from single spot ships in bad weather and/or at night was challenging as was being deployed for many months.

I mostly loved it. I got to do it for nearly 20 years with a couple short out of the cockpit tours, then spent my last 8 years at various desks in DC, which was not as fun.

What an interesting thread. I am humbled. Reading some of these stories, it occurred to me that, although I have had a few difficult days, I have never had a tough job. I think it has a lot to do with not stretching or challenging myself enough, but I'll save that for the shrink's couch, if I ever have one. I worked for the majority of my career doing voiceover, audio production, and DJ work. It was all pure enjoyment. Getting to see, greet, and briefly spend time with folk like Michael Jackson, James Brown, John Rotten, Neil Diamond, Morrissey, Stevie Wonder, Quentin Tarantino, Seal, Boy George, Horace Silver, Walter Becker, to name a few, was fun. I can't say that any of it was hard though.

I almost feel as if I've missed out, having had fun and fairly cushy jobs for most of my working life. One thing I can say though, is that I always turned up to work on time, and always made my deadlines. Doing what was expected of me, and when it was expected, was always important.

The media industry is highly competitive. I'm guessing that you had to be hard-nosed to get where you got.

so many interesting jobs posted here!

My toughest job was first year working out of nursing school. Back then, it was "required" to work at least a year in the hospital, rotating units to get your learning down. My worst rotation was a newly formed Burn Unit. Ugh. Back then, the things we had to do to burn patients seemed barbaric to me and even loaded up on pain meds, could not help but cause more pain to them.
Incredibly, several years ago, I was at that same hospital in the cafeteria and saw a former patient, a firefighter who had been severely burned. He looked pretty darn good, considering. Burn care has come a long way.

Back
Top Bottom