Transition back to...the office :(

Getting pressure and in the news folks have or are transitioning back to office work. Large setting cubicle office work...not single isolated offices.

What say you? Me, I want to stay away from the commute and office. Period.
I said goodbye to that experience over a year ago at retirement. I've had fleeting thoughts about what it would be like to return to work after WFH for so long. I would find other employment or contract work while resisting the Borg, and saying I would not feel safe.

I do get daily emails about WFH opportunities. My field is suited for that, being information driven. Even jobs requiring additional security on the PC can now be done well given hi-speed access.

We've been driving to the city twice a month, and using my old commute route. Way less traffic, but we now see the situation getting worse from just limited numbers of people returning to the office. On most days it is a meaningless migration of the masses.

It hasn't been difficult to adjust to one or two sets of comfortable sweats in a typical week.
:cool:

We have onboarded 2 people completely remotely during the pandemic. We talk on the phone multiple times a day, have written down our processes (good) and share our screens in Microsoft Teams a lot. We also have Webex and Teams meetings. It is hard work, but doable.

DH just started a new job after "retiring" a year ago from his 32 yr career with MegaCorp. All remote, at least until Sept. - maybe later, who knows? He's not a big fan of working from home but it seems to be the new norm.

After over 25 years at an academic medical institution, I am starting a new position next week at a health care IT non-profit that has recently put its building up for sale. We are 100% remote. I know the team I will work with well, so onboarding will be pretty easy. Now I will have the freedom to live pretty much anywhere in the US (at least) where I can get reliable internet. And when Elon Musk gets Starlink fully operational, that could include working from an RV in places of my choosing. I love it!

One big problem I see with working from home is for new employees. In traditional office setting the new employee has their coworkers to learn from and ask them questions while the new employee is learning the job and the company.
My daughter is an employee in this position right now. It seems possible, but has been marginally successful in her case.

The difficulty seems more in understanding personal relationships within the office and getting feedback, rather than the actual mechanics of the job.

Having met my wife at work way back when, and having met and made friends with dozens of on site co-workers over the years, I pity the young bunch in today's workforce, starting jobs and working them from home. This is isolating and eliminates a huge part of ones social life, with few face to face opportunities otherwise. Not for me back in my mid 70s early career years. It would seem horrible to me!

Having met my wife at work way back when, and having met and made friends with dozens of on site co-workers over the years, I pity the young bunch in today's workforce, starting jobs and working them from home. This is isolating and eliminates a huge part of ones social life, with few face to face opportunities otherwise. Not for me back in my mid 70s early career years. It would seem horrible to me!

You are onto something. I dont socialize much now with my own kids but did a bit back in my youth

I think the push to go back to the office will convince a lot of OMY types to call it a day. Until you don't have to deal with all the issues already cited - work clothes, commuting, additional costs, inability to do a short errand mid-day, etc. - you don't realize how much more pleasant WFH is. People in the late innings of their career don't need to face-to-face as they already know everyone, they have relationships already established in the workplace. I do understand how much more difficult it would be for younger workers.

I think the push to go back to the office will convince a lot of OMY types to call it a day. Until you don't have to deal with all the issues already cited - work clothes, commuting, additional costs, inability to do a short errand mid-day, etc. - you don't realize how much more pleasant WFH is. People in the late innings of their career don't need to face-to-face as they already know everyone, they have relationships already established in the workplace. I do understand how much more difficult it would be for younger workers.

Absolutely. With enough FU money those folks will most always take that option.

DW wishes I could go in once a week. Now that I am vaxed I can swing over to DF I have a satellite office as we do a lot of business together. Will be interesting in a year to see how it all pans out.

In the mid 90's I had a work from home job (yes, I was a trail blazer). I made it a point to make the (almost 2 hour) trek once a week. I would schedule meetings for that day, made sure I caught up with various parts of the organization, and go to lunch with my ex-office mates.

Worked great, but that is partially because of my objective to make it work. I worked long hours at home and made sure I was available for whatever came up during normal working hours.

Back
Top Bottom