Turn Signals!!

I think much of the use of turn signals ended with the use of cell phones. I have always wondered why they don't engineer cars so the signal goes on automatically when the steering wheel is turned x number of degrees. They have designed it to automatically shut off the signal, so why not to turn it on also. Might not work for lane changes on freeways but would for residential driving where it is needed.

The point of the turn signal IMHO is to warn other drivers about your intent to begin a turn or lane change a few seconds later. This means your car should be heading straight ahead. If you are turning, you will probably be hitting the brake to slow down so the turn signal acts as a "pre-brake" to warn the car behind you that you will be slowing down very soon.

I think much of the use of turn signals ended with the use of cell phones. I have always wondered why they don't engineer cars so the signal goes on automatically when the steering wheel is turned x number of degrees. They have designed it to automatically shut off the signal, so why not to turn it on also. Might not work for lane changes on freeways but would for residential driving where it is needed.
Like someone already posted, signalling as you are making the turn is useless. Incorporating this as a feature would just mean that some people who correctly use turn signals now would stop and let the car do it too late to be of use.

In my younger days as a contract engineer I moved from nuclear plant to nuclear plant, living in each location from several months to a year. Without fail within the first week at a new office somebody would advise me, "be careful - people don't use their turn signals around here!"

I was just wondering how many people on this forum remember the days before turn signals? I remember my first car while in college was a 1949 Ford, wrecked it and then had a 1951 Ford. This was in about 1956 so no body get the idea I was driving new cars while in college. Neither of these cars had turn signals. Back then everyone was still using the hand signals.

I could put the laser death ray to good use, chopping off the fronts of cars hanging out into the middle of the road. Whether they are ostensibly stopped at a stopsign that traffic on the intersecting street does not have, or whether they are coming out of a driveway, they'd better watch it! :eek: If those with the right of way have to slow down because they are half blocked, zap!! Off with their fenders or even front wheels or more.

Zing, zing, zing goes my laser death ray as I blithely motor down the road, leaving mutilated cars behind me in pieces as I go. >:D

This sounds fun. I could see myself merrily zapping away too.
Die you dirty scoundrel! Die!! Zap!

Once more into the fray I go! Zing!

Piss ME off and pay the consequences! Zap! Zap!

From hells heart I stab at thee! ZAAAP!

Then someone would come along with their new Ford Deathstar and annihilate my entire home. No more fun.

You're exactly right. That was part of the fun of being a cop in the DC area. When people were jerks you could actually do something about it.

"Press firmly when signing, sir (asshat), you're making five copies."

That doesn't happen very often, and cops are often the worst offenders. I don't think I've ever seen a cop car use a turn signal when changing lanes.

My ex-Deputy Sheriff buddy always said the only traffic law that was needed wasn't on the books - DWS (Driving While Stupid).

I think I've always been pretty attentive to turn signals, but since DD (cycling) was recently involved in a serious accident with a car that didn't signal, I'm even more OCD about it. Fortunately, she is fine other than her bank account (still working through the insurance details at this point, but she has a high deductible individual policy)

Please folks, use those signals, early and often!

That doesn't happen very often, and cops are often the worst offenders. I don't think I've ever seen a cop car use a turn signal when changing lanes.

My ex-Deputy Sheriff buddy always said the only traffic law that was needed wasn't on the books - DWS (Driving While Stupid).

The other flashing lights on police cars obscure their turn signals.

I was travelling on 114 in Irving, TX the other day and this car comes up from behind me, he's in the passing lane and I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit, and he starts to drift over into my lane and almost smacked me. I layed on the horn when I saw him enter my lane. The only signal I got was him flipping me the bird for blowing my horn at him. So glad I'm no longer subjected to a long daily work commute.

Back
Top Bottom