U.S. Mail Reliability?

In 40 I can only remember one mailed check really not getting to its destination... No matter how many times I told the layer that I already mailed it.
Every month or so I get a piece of a neighbor's mail or they mine. No big deal.

Things certainly have changed. First they privatized the profitable package delivery side of the business (UPS & FedEx,) leaving the USPS the more costly letter delivery. Then e-mail took a lot of the steam out of that. Then there's political micro-management, along with cutting employee benefits and job security, while demanding more work. It's a wonder they get anything done at all.

As I said, our local PO is still great. But it's probably only a matter of time.

Generally pretty good here.

Maybe two or three times a year I'll get a neighbors mail as others have noted. If I remember right, during the Christmas Amazon rush this past winter I had three deliveries via UPS on my porch which were for neighbors.

USPS is excellent here. There's the occasional envelope for a neighbor, but no big deal. Oh, there is one type of item that regularly disappears or shows up a month late, postcards. We've given up sending postcards while on trips since we usually return home long before the postcards arrive.

Wow... had no idea the service was so bad.
Last time we had a problem was when we moved in here, in 2004... we're on 31st street, and our mail went to 32nd street same address number. The people who lived there, brought the mail to us the same day.

We regularly get Amazon orders next day... never more than 2 days. USPS or Fedex. Delivery always by 10 AM.

Sent and received a USPS priority mail to and from Canada. Total time for round trip less than 48 hours.

Its pretty good here. The main issue with the local carrier is misplacement of mail in the locked set of boxes, but that is not very common anymore. I've occasionally had to call the local PO due to a misdelivered piece, and it gets resolved promptly.

Recently I had to call the post office to get the carrier to resume our mail after a hold. It was inside the locked mail house, but hadn't been put inside our box yet. Our carrier has kind of their own system for holding mail - I think due to our often clueless winter residents who don't bother to use the official post office methods of mail forwarding.

This last time our mail resumed exactly when we requested, so I was much happier.

We almost never get mail the day before or after a holiday. The mail lady takes it off and the PO doesn't bother to get a replacement. Several times I have ordered items worth a few hundred dollars, and instead of bringing it to the door (like the previous mail lady did) or leaving me a note to pick it up at the PO, the carrier just leaves it on top of my mailbox, where anyone can come by and take it. Fortunately that hasn't happened. Yet.
Mail does get delivered to the wrong box. I used to take it to the correct one, but no longer do. I put back in the box with a note on it saying it was delivered to wrong address. I figure otherwise they will never correct the situation.

Our service is superb. I always figured the device here in the DC area might be above par. I think they do extra processing ever since the anthrax incident. I know someone that lost a family member. Our carrier is beyond superb. With all the “last mile” business USPS has, he has to leave his Jeep and walk many items to the door.

Also on the comment about leaving mid-delivered mail on a table in an apartment building, that seems to be a bad habit of the residents. If I happen to get something that was meant for someone else, I leave it in the box or deposit it into an outgoing mailbox.

Around here, never are these two words used concurrently in the same sentence:

U.S. Mail & reliability

Reason: Contract delivery people.

There is not enough room on this website to list the problems we have had in the last three years.

One indication: The very fat mail person was photographed parking her mail truck on the sidewalk next to the cluster box so she didn't have to walk the 15' from the road to the cluster box. If I can find the picture that was taken, I'll post it here.

Only once that I know of did USPS not deliver a piece of mail and that was nearly 40 years ago. Once or twice a year here we'll get one addressed to one of the neighbors next door or one house away so like the others I'll just walk it over to their mailbox.

Around here FedEx is the one that screws up the most and even that not very often.

One indication: The very fat mail person was photographed parking her mail truck on the sidewalk next to the cluster box so she didn't have to walk the 15' from the road to the cluster box. If I can find the picture that was taken, I'll post it here.
You are probably just upset because she stuffed her empty Big Mac wrappers in your mail box. :LOL:

I would like to see the picture.

We must be at the designated break point on the mail route.
Every day sometime between 2 and 3 in the afternoon, our guy puts the mail in the cluster boxes, then drives a few feet into the shade of a tree and takes a nap for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. Sometimes he eats his lunch during that time, but usually he just naps. Then he continues on his route.

It must be authorized, because I've seen substitute carriers do the same thing when the regular guy is on vacation. Very strange, but service is so bad already that nobody wants to say anything.

No complaints with US mail here.. The carrier knows me by name and we exchange pleasantries every time I run into him. I do get the odd piece of mail that gets misdelivered but it is quite rare and I stick it back in the mailbox.

Generally pretty good here. On occasion there is a mis-delivery flurry. Seems like a new person perhaps but a call to the PO (sometimes several if a flurry) seems to calm things down. They want to know day of problem and I guess can trace who the carrier was.

Back
Top Bottom