UFO's who are they ?

True, but the speeds would have to be quite close to light speed in order for substantial relativistic effects to kick in. And therein lies the rub. The engineering challenges would be monumental, to say the least. First, create a space craft that can generate and deploy the massive amounts of energy required for long enough to reach, say, 90% of light speed, and then figure out a way to prevent the ship from being obliterated due to countless collisions with tiny bits of interstellar dust and debris, each carrying hundreds or thousands of megajoules of energy due to relativistic effects. For example, at 80% of light speed, a microscopic dust particle weighing only 40 micrograms would release as much energy upon impact as the thermal explosion of half a barrel of crude oil.
Perhaps those tiny bits of interstellar dust and debris ARE the fuel that propels the spacecraft - sort of an interstellar ramjet. Obviously we don't presently have the engineering know how for such a thing but unless the physical laws of the universe prevent it from happening I would think that a sufficiently advanced civilization would figure out a way to do it (travel at close to light speeds that is)

I attended a lecture several years ago by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. He made a great point about UFOs. He said that there are thousands of professional and amateur astronomers around the word, and these folks spend a lot of time looking up at the sky. They are generally more knowledgeable than the average citizen with respect to knowing what they are looking at in the sky.

These folks are rarely, if ever, are the ones reporting UFOs.

Just because we don't know what we are looking at does not automatically mean we are looking at alien spaceships visiting Earth.

I saw what I thought was a UFO when I was a kid. I was at a backyard party and watched two brilliant lights move slowly across the sky. They almost showed a disc. Then they stopped completely. side by side. One began to pulse brighter and dimmer - I thought it was probably rotating. Then they slowly faded and "went out," perhaps moving directly away.

This was probably around 1970.

What caught my attention was the slow speed, slower than that of an aircraft, and the fact the lights stopped dead in the sky. But I was just a kid, there was probably some piece of technology that would do that.

I hope WE are not tasty and low in calories to them :cool:

It's a cookbook!

BgkvP-1542648855-1035-quizzes-to_serve_man_main.jpg

Unidentified - yes, ET - in this case, probably not.
That's the key: Unidentified doesn't prove anything. A favorite argument of Aliens-are-here is to turn the proof requirement around: "Well, if it's not an alien spacecraft, then what is it?!" But that's a fallacious "proof."

Actually, intelligent/advanced life in other places is statistically improbable. Folks do not realize how rare and fragile the chemistry actually is in terms of temperature ranges, pressure ranges, radiation ranges, etc. Physicists usually don't know enough about biochemistry to make good predictions about what is needed. Plus it only takes a single catastrophic event to wipe out all life. And what is needed includes a long relatively stable environment (but not completely stable) for evolution to do its magic. Some relatively mild stress can help evolution.

I'll concede that bacteria-like and slime-mold life could be elsewhere in the universe. But at this point in my life, I don't believe there are other sentient beings in our galaxy and perhaps not elsewhere in the universe.
With my limited knowledge of chemistry, biology, and how stars and planets form, I am certain microscopic life is somewhat prevalent, maybe even on some moons in our solar system. But complex life requires a lot of coincidences that our planet went through, not least being our relatively large Moon. I also think complex life is extremely rare, to say the least.

I attended a lecture several years ago by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. He made a great point about UFOs. He said that there are thousands of professional and amateur astronomers around the word, and these folks spend a lot of time looking up at the sky. They are generally more knowledgeable than the average citizen with respect to knowing what they are looking at in the sky.
I also went to one of his lectures, and a questioner asked him to address how "so many" sincere and sane people have seen and believe in Aliens visiting us. He gave a great, polite, and succinct answer: [paraphrasing, here] "Show me an alien, not vague photos of....something." He added that just because someone sincerely believes in something is not proof.

In case any are monitoring this transmission:

I, personally, am full of bad cholesterol and recommend a much leaner cut for dinner.

No exercise and eating lots of junk food may prove beneficial after all.:LOL:

With my limited knowledge of chemistry, biology, and how stars and planets form, I am certain microscopic life is somewhat prevalent, maybe even on some moons in our solar system. But complex life requires a lot of coincidences that our planet went through, not least being our relatively large Moon. I also think complex life is extremely rare, to say the least.

Coincidences. [emoji4][emoji4]. Yeah, right.

The argument is often presented that a very unique set of circumstances resulted in semi intelligent life on earth (lets not be presumptuous now) so that the chances of such a unique set repeating somewhere else in the universe are slim to none. The only thought I can offer to that argument is that if the laws of physics allowed such a thing to happen once here on earth, then the same laws would forbid such a thing from NOT happening again somewhere else in the universe given that there are trillions (or more) of possible trials.

Everything you know is wrong!!!

Uh, Clem.

I read a book by that title ... Everything you know is Wrong, by Lloyd Pye. The book argues that we, humans, are the aliens or descended from the aliens. . Annunaki Gods. And the Neanderthal Man was the indigenous species .. or what some people are calling today as Big Foot or Sasquash. He argues that our body is too fragile to survive in the earth environment..and that is why we wear clothing, we build houses, etc. we cannot survive naked and exposed to the elements compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. Now bigfoot who walks upright can survive this earth environment without clothing or much protection, he says, because they were the indigenous neanderthal man.

True, but the speeds would have to be quite close to light speed in order for substantial relativistic effects to kick in. And therein lies the rub. The engineering challenges would be monumental, to say the least. First, create a space craft that can generate and deploy the massive amounts of energy required for long enough to reach, say, 90% of light speed, and then figure out a way to prevent the ship from being obliterated due to countless collisions with tiny bits of interstellar dust and debris, each carrying hundreds or thousands of megajoules of energy due to relativistic effects. For example, at 80% of light speed, a microscopic dust particle weighing only 40 micrograms would release as much energy upon impact as the thermal explosion of half a barrel of crude oil.
And, for UFO sightings to exist, you have to also explain that a civilization which can do all these --amazing-- things cannot figure out how to avoid detection by humans. Or that, with all the tools available to study our society, they only make contact with people in rural locations. Asimov's "The Rocketing Dutchmen" article follows this line well.
Actually, intelligent/advanced life in other places is statistically improbable. Folks do not realize how rare and fragile the chemistry actually is in terms of temperature ranges, pressure ranges, radiation ranges, etc. Physicists usually don't know enough about biochemistry to make good predictions about what is needed. Plus it only takes a single catastrophic event to wipe out all life. And what is needed includes a long relatively stable environment (but not completely stable) for evolution to do its magic. Some relatively mild stress can help evolution.

I'll concede that bacteria-like and slime-mold life could be elsewhere in the universe. But at this point in my life, I don't believe there are other sentient beings in our galaxy and perhaps not elsewhere in the universe.
There's an interesting related wrinkle that I happened upon recently: The mystery of mitochondria. Nobody is quite sure how mitochondria came to be in cells, but it appears that they evolved as a separate life form and somehow, improbably, got incorporated into at least one other organism. They exist this way to this date--a reason that their DNA is totally independent from the rest of the DNA in every complex organism on earth. Without mitochondria, life could exist, but it would be very, very simple. It was that way on earth for 2 billion years, and life stayed very simple--single very very small cells. And they could not get bigger or more complex. But, at that point, and by a mechanism not yet explained (and which apparently only occurred one time in earth's history, based on the existing evidence in every cell), two independent single celled organisms began to exist within a single cell membrane in a mutually beneficial way (perhaps as one was eating the other). What would eventually become the mitochondria provided a tremendous increase in the amount of energy available to the host cell. And at that point, living organisms could suddenly get to be complex and over 10,000 times as large. There was absolutely nothing inevitable about this--life on earth could easily have continued at a very simple level indefinitely.

The fact that both organisms survived, even once, and replicated within each other, was incredibly improbable.

An (overly?) "accessible" version of the story is in this Radiolab podcast: Cellmates.

Last edited:
And, for UFO sightings to exist, you have to also explain that a civilization which can do all these --amazing-- things cannot figure out how to avoid detection by humans. Or that, with all the tools available to study our society, they only make contact with people in rural locations. Asimov's "The Rocketing Dutchmen" article follows this line well.

My belief is that any alien form advanced enough to travel to Earth wouldn't even have to come here to learn all about us because we've been broadcasting radio and TV waves into space for decades.

There's an interesting related wrinkle that I happened upon recently: The mystery of mitochondria. Nobody is quite sure how mitochondria came to be in cells, but it appears that they evolved as a separate life form and somehow, improbably, got incorporated into at least one other organism. They exist this way to this date--a reason that their DNA is totally independent from the rest of the DNA in every complex organism on earth. Without mitochondria, life could exist, but it would be very, very simple. It was that way on earth for 2 billion years, and life stayed very simple--single very very small cells. And they could not get bigger or more complex. But, at that point, and by a mechanism not yet explained (and which apparently only occurred one time in earth's history, based on the existing evidence in every cell), two independent single celled organisms began to exist within a single cell membrane in a mutually beneficial way (perhaps as one was eating the other). What would eventually become the mitochondria provided a tremendous increase in the amount of energy available to the host cell. And at that point, living organisms could suddenly get to be complex and over 10,000 times as large. There was absolutely nothing inevitable about this--life on earth could easily have continued at a very simple level indefinitely.

The fact that both organisms survived, even once, and replicated within each other, was incredibly improbable.

An (overly?) "accessible" version of the story is in this Radiolab podcast: Cellmates.

Interesting.

In the age of everyone having a smartphone, one would think there would be more confirmed videos out there.

BUT , BUT now everybody seems to be glued at the screen ( and not looking in any other direction )

ALSO , there might be some discrete blocking of some videos ( just like China allegedly does ).

i worked a lot at night out of doors but was busy watching for snakes and ambushing tree branches ( and haven't seen the Australian version of Bigfoot yet either )

My belief is that any alien form advanced enough to travel to Earth wouldn't even have to come here to learn all about us because we've been broadcasting radio and TV waves into space for decades.

Interesting.

a virus is life and they are known to have existed on Mars ( and may still do )

mathematically there is every change of life outside our solar system but would we recognize it , and understand it it DOESN'T even have to be carbon-based or need oxygen to breathe .

and if they study us by our electronic transmissions , they will probably just corral us and turn the planet into a giant cage-fighting event .. something like the Roman Colosseum

Last edited:
Do you have a link that actually relates to mold growth on the >exterior< of the ISS?

MIR was overgrown with mold--on the inside. The fungus was a big problem, which is to be expected from the humidity levels in that craft.

seems to be some organisms are growing on the outside as there was a discussion on how they resisted solar radiation .

https://futurism.com/organisms-outside-space-station

sadly all scientific information will be highly edited .. which is why i hardly ever read this stuff now .. man is sure to make catastrophic mistake messing with this stuff ( because some fool will weaponize it )

i was thought to have Legionella back in 1985 , you would have to be a total retard to be surprised by air systems INSIDE the space stations failing to stop mould , fungi , bacteria etc after so many years of operation .

I am one of those serious amateur astronomers (see my screen name) who has spent countless hours under a clear night sky, and I've interacted with many others with the same interests. I know of not one instance of something seen in the sky that couldn't be explained. I've seen airplanes, weather balloons, satellites, meteors, and even planets that could easily be mistaken for something mysterious by people who don't know the "geography" of the sky as well as some of us do.

Heck, I'd be jumping up and down with glee if I saw an extraterrestrial spacecraft, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think the greatest argument for intelligent life in our universe is that none of them have tried to contact us..

About 15 years ago, my wife and I we’re sitting in the backyard with our feet in the pool looking at the night sky as we did frequently, spotting satellites as the flew by and the occasional shooting star.

As I was gazing around movement caught my eyes... low on the horizon and very close to us was this triangle shaped, fairly large object that was slowly moving through the sky with three roundish glowing “engines” underneath it but was completely silent! The street lights seemed to get absorbed or reflected by the material it was made from cause it was very hard to see.

My DW saw the same thing when I pointed it out to her and we knew it was a UFO. Was waiting for a report on it from others but none made. Surely I thought the military came out with a new and deadly weapon, but alas, after all the years' nothing ever came out to the public about such a weapon.

True story.

+1 on To serve man!

The Baltic Sea UFO looks like the Millenium Falcon

Some Divers raises 120,000 euroes to kook into it

Don't know about things that fly. I did drive to New Mexico I'm March and received a good old fashioned anal probing. I wasn't smoking or eating any mind altering substances. So who knows?

People have to pay good money for that back East.

Back
Top Bottom