Using laptop in recliner - how?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Am I the only one uncomfortable with a laptop in my actual lap? It didn't used to bug me but I am finding it annoying.

Should I buy a tablet instead?

Every laptop owner also needs a tablet. Amazon Prime had Fire 8's on sale yesterday for $59. They're great for keeping an eye on the internet and Facebook. Laptops stay home when we're traveling.

I use them both. But a 14" laptop is best if you're writing very much. A recliner doesn't bother me one bit.

Am I the only one uncomfortable with a laptop in my actual lap? It didn't used to bug me but I am finding it annoying.

My laptop is on a table surface that swivels over my easy-chair-and-ottoman setup. It is not on my actual lap, which is good because it is a heavy 17" model. The swivel table is marketed to older seniors than me, but it meets my needs so I figure why not. I have it adjusted to exactly the right height and I can swivel it closer to my eyes or further away, depending on what I want at that moment.

It swivels very smoothly and easily, with just a light push on my part. I just swivel it out of the way when I am using my iPad, or when standing up or sitting down. I have another end table to the right of my easy chair, that I use for the mouse. When swiveling things out of the way, I just put the mouse on top of my (usually closed) laptop.

You could use a similar setup with a recliner.

P.S. - - don't use this solution if you have kids or pets who would climb all over it! It's sturdy enough for the intended use, but might not be sturdy enough to support a wiggly animal or kid, or anything much heavier than a laptop.

My laptop's screen can fold full around and turn into a laptop. It's an HP Pavilion X360model I got from Costco or Sam's. (can't remember which) Works great with the touch screen when in either laptop or tablet mode.

I've got a kidney-shaped piece of laminated particle board that sits on my lap. There is just enough room on the side for my mouse. I hate touchpads. It helps to have a laptop without a numeric keypad. 1) it helps stabilize the laptop. 2) it puts a barrier between the heat of the laptop and my lap, and 3) it helps keep the processor cool as it keeps the cooling vents unblocked.

One of the things that I like about my Lenovo Miix is that the part that protrudes that keeps it upright on the desktop also, with a slight adjustment, fits comfortably over my left knee with my left leg crossed into my lap.... and the keyboard rests on my left thigh... so I can easily surf the net and e-r.org in my recliner.

I had a Kindle Fires (I had two)... they are dust collectors these days... I much prefer my newer Samsung Tab A... blow that dough!

I was looking at the Samsung but the fire price is intriguing and the swivel table looks promising . . . but I do have a rather fat cat that might want to "help" by sitting on it . . . Any other suggestions welcome. . .

I don't use my laptop. A $93 refurb Win 10 Dell computer on the floor under the lamp table and a 17 inch screen on top, along side the recliner Lighted keyboard on my lap, and a wireless mouse pad on the chair arm, and I'm completely comfortable. TV on across the room. :)

I was looking at the Samsung but the fire price is intriguing and the swivel table looks promising . . . but I do have a rather fat cat that might want to "help" by sitting on it . . . Any other suggestions welcome. . .
I have a fire and a Samsung tablet . The Samsung is so much better than the fire tablet.I got a great deal on it at Christmas .

I have a small end table with a swivel light over the oval table. It sits right because my recliner and I use the mouse on the arm of the chair. It works great and I don't have to have the laptop in my lap. Works great with the right living room table.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hmm. Interesting idea to use a desktop under a table. . .

I bought me a pixel book. Laptop & tablet in one easy piece.

My recliner, actually a Euro chair, doesn’t recline that much and I rarely have it at max recline anyway. I’ve always been fine using my laptop on it. However I usually use my iPad.

I use my laptop in my lap.

That depends.

If the vast majority of what you do is just surfing the web, then a tablet might be sufficient.

If you do much typing, I find a real laptop keyboard far superior.

Look at some of the newer slim lightweight laptops, some good choices under 3lbs.

I use my Surface pro 3 docked as my only desktop computer and use it as a tablet with the stylus every morning while sitting in my recliner. I check the overnight email and read a number of news pages. The stylus/handwriting recognition is OK for short email responses but for longer stuff I wait until it is docked and connected to a real monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I have no problem using my Chromebook on my lap. It is a small one tho.....11" screen. I rarely use my Acer Windows laptop. Basically once a year doing taxes. Its usually on a desk when I do the task. When out of town I simply use my cell phone. Its of the larger variety so easy enough to use.

One of the things that I like about my Lenovo Miix is that the part that protrudes that keeps it upright on the desktop also, with a slight adjustment, fits comfortably over my left knee with my left leg crossed into my lap.... and the keyboard rests on my left thigh... so I can easily surf the net and e-r.org in my recliner.

I had a Kindle Fires (I had two)... they are dust collectors these days... I much prefer my newer Samsung Tab A... blow that dough!

One thing I forgot to mention... the other nice thing about the Miix is that I can detach the keyboard and use it as a tablet so that may be attractive to the OP... though I admit that I rarely use it that way.

I use my laptop on the recliner all the time. In warmer weather I use a beanbag type laptop desk like someone posted above, and/or a USB fan thing under it. It really only gets warm if I'm doing something video intensive.

Back
Top Bottom