Using social media for customer service

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I recently contacted United to look into using a credit for a flight DW and I canceled last year when fires at our California destination made our planned bike trip less than optimal. The credit allowed us to apply all of our $356 ticket prices toward new tickets BUT we each would have to pay a $200 change fee. Worse, we couldn't even take the change fee out of the credit. For example, if we purchased $150 tickets to Florida we could apply the credit but we would then have to pay $200 in new cash for the privilege. The agent was polite but not forthcoming with alternatives or waivers.

Later that day I remembered reading an article (or maybe a post here - but I couldn't find one) that recommended using company Facebook pages or Twitter accounts for customer service problems. I went to United's FB page and used the messenger feature to complain that I found their policies made the cancellation credit effectively useless. I didn't ask for relief - just noted that I would avoid United in the future.

A few hours later a United rep asked if I would share the record locator so he could look into the matter. A few hours after I shared it the rep replied that they would waive the change fee.

It's possible this was just a lucky one off but I will likely use social media to contact customer service staff in the future. It was a lot easier than pushing back at un-empowered phone reps, asking to speak to supervisors and the like on phone lines.

I'd say its possible, however make sure that you only state facts in any derogatory posts. Big companies have a vested interest (and bank account) to fight posts they feel cross the line.

I have a friend who is going the Attorney General route (regarding an Allegiant Air situation similar to what you describe), so far with limited success, but not over yet.

Good luck!

I'd say its possible, however make sure that you only state facts in any derogatory posts. Big companies have a vested interest (and bank account) to fight posts they feel cross the line.

I have a friend who is going the Attorney General route (regarding an Allegiant Air situation similar to what you describe), so far with limited success, but not over yet.

Good luck!
Good caution. Trashing a company online is risky. If you use Twitter or a FB public comments section you would be well advised to dial back the outrage and be sure to stick to facts. In my case, I didn't post public comments. I used the messenger feature to send them to United. Nevertheless, I stuck to the facts other than to express my opinion that the policy was usurious. After they waived the fee I thanked them and noted that I would have been satisfied with a change fee if it had been reasonable. My tickets were non-refundable and flight was to SF but the fires were near my ultimate destination in Sonoma so the problem was technically mine. I noted that I would have been more resigned to a flat nonrefundable cancellation. What drove me nuts was to have them tell me I could still use the ticket funds for a year and then impose such a large and rigid change fee.

I tweet @ the customer service handles when I have an issue. I usually find it's the fastest way to get action, if the overall company has a decent service culture. I don't DM or message, I just tweet like "Hey @Delta why is my seat assignment revoked on flight 123" etc.

If they suck all around, then their social media service will suck too. I wouldn't bother on FB so much as that's probably not as real time.

But twitter I've gotten good fast engagement with Delta, Paypal, LG, a few others.

Oh yea. I did a lot of work making social media comments into things the back office folks worked. Yeah big companies like you to only say nice things about them in public domain. They sometimes get very agreeable when you make it public.

I have used face book several times to complain with great luck . Once was with a travel insurance company that kept on stalling with payment and asking for more and more documentation. I complained on their face book page and was contacted immediately .I had the check in a few days.

I tweet @ the customer service handles when I have an issue. I usually find it's the fastest way to get action, if the overall company has a decent service culture. I don't DM or message, I just tweet like "Hey @Delta why is my seat assignment revoked on flight 123" etc.

If they suck all around, then their social media service will suck too. I wouldn't bother on FB so much as that's probably not as real time.

But twitter I've gotten good fast engagement with Delta, Paypal, LG, a few others.

Yes, I've had success on Twitter like this, too. Wouldn't even think to try Facebook. Usually you @ them and then they ask you to send them a direct message with case #, locator #, whatever.

That said, I had very prompt response from the FedEx Twitter account when I alerted them that a very large package for someone else had been misdelivered to my house (the address was similar to mine but not mine). Unfortunately, the local FedEx office was far less prompt, and it took *six* days for them to come get this box that weighed at least 40 lbs. It sat through about five rainstorms. Sorry, intended recipient, I tried!

Just had a recent situation with a national car repair/parts store. Took in DD car to the store near us for a tail light out and then they said it needed $500+ things done.

That night she noticed that the light was still out. She took it to the store near her and they showed her (and she took pics) that the socket was empty, no light was replaced. That 2nd store charged her again and they really trashed the first store and said the guy that did it should be fired, etc.

So I call the first store and the mgr emphatically denies it and said it was working when we left. He went on to trash the 2nd store--and came thisclose to calling us liars.

DD works 10 hrs/day and neither of us know how to remove the bulb--if we did we would not have taken the car there in the first place.

I was very polite/firm on the phone when he wouldn't budge. Told him I would take it to social media.

Five minutes later he called back and was crediting the charge from the second store.

Different companies have different levels of responsiveness on each social media platform, but in general the supposition that Twitter is more effective than Facebook is correct, so it's probably best to start on Twitter. However, I've found that occasionally Facebook can be more effective, so I'd say try any and every social media channel listed on their website (one at a time), it really doesn't take very long.

Also, even though I use more than one platform, I use "Twittershaming" as shorthand for complaining publicly on social media in order to embarrass a company/organization into responding when they wouldn't before.

I got treated unfairly at a local oil change place and I posted on Yelp and Google Maps what had happened. The owner contacted me personally and refunded the disputed amount. I decided to give them another chance and took DW's car there. They tried to pull the same trick again. :(

Interesting update on this experience. I called United to make my change because the waiver was in a note in the file which the computer wouldn't see. I first found the flights and fare we wanted (the new flight is to a different destination, business class and a good deal more expensive). The agent I spoke with pulled up exactly the same fare I had on my screen shot and proceeded to book it. When she reported the final price minus our $712 credit it was about $600 more than it should have been. Surprise, the ticket price had mysteriously gone up by $300 while we were processing the transaction. The agent couldn't' fix it or explain the change so I escalated to tier 2 support. The supervisor spent about 20 minutes futzing with it and must have confirmed that the price rose after we had agreed to the tickets. She ended up giving me a fare for the two of us that was about $200 less than the original fare I found online.

All's well that ends well.

Back
Top Bottom