Vanguard "Growing Pains?"

I got a bunch of stmts from Vanguard that also make no sense... them forcing me to use their brokerage platform is a complete failure and I will be moving my assets from them sometime this year...

SOOO, who has Fidelity and Merrill Edge? These are the two I am looking at with Merrill having bonuses on their credit card that make it look good...

Or maybe have both?

Suggestions!!!

I got a bunch of stmts from Vanguard that also make no sense... them forcing me to use their brokerage platform is a complete failure and I will be moving my assets from them sometime this year...

SOOO, who has Fidelity and Merrill Edge? These are the two I am looking at with Merrill having bonuses on their credit card that make it look good...

Or maybe have both?

Suggestions!!!

Can't help you with those two, but I am moving my Vanguard accounts to Schwab this month. They also have a local office I can visit, if need be.

Can't help you with those two, but I am moving my Vanguard accounts to Schwab this month. They also have a local office I can visit, if need be.

So does Fidelity and Merrill for me, and both very close...

Heck, aren't you in the Woodlands? I would think they got them there also...

So does Fidelity and Merrill for me, and both very close...

Heck, aren't you in the Woodlands? I would think they got them there also...

Yes, we are in the Woodlands. DW and I already have long time Schwab accounts. I'm just consolidating my Vanguard one as it's been a hassle to even get my email address changed at VG (took three weeks and many calls, emails). Plus, every time I call VG it seems like whomever I speak with is clueless.

I followed up with VG about my old Roth account showing a balance on the paper EOY statement only. They are investigating. I'll give them some time. I recall another time when they were investigating a page in my EOY statement that had an address from another part of the country. Still waiting. Been a few years.

I moved from Vanguard to Fidelity last year. They sponsor a credit card that pays 2% cashback if deposited in a Fidelity account.

Follow up to my posts #75 and #80. A VG flagship rep replied a week ago that their tech team found the problem that caused my erroneous account to appear, and they are fixing the problem so it will no longer appear.

Today I get a paper confirmation statement in the mail, that the $1.18 was moved from this old Roth account. It doesn't say to where, but I checked VG online and it was moved to my newer Roth. And now my older Roth shows up as an account I can select under Transaction History.

So clearly it WAS a valid account, one that they weren't displaying to me. I had asked them to move it if the account really was there, but their response indicated it wasn't. Either the rep misunderstood what happened, or they are flat out lying to me. Neither is good. I don't care about the $1.18, but if it can happen to that account, can it happen with one of my accounts that has 6 or 7 figures in the balance?

I'm going to start looking into whether and how to move my account over to Schwab or Fidelity.

Follow up to my posts #75 and #80. A VG flagship rep replied a week ago that their tech team found the problem that caused my erroneous account to appear, and they are fixing the problem so it will no longer appear.

Today I get a paper confirmation statement in the mail, that the $1.18 was moved from this old Roth account. It doesn't say to where, but I checked VG online and it was moved to my newer Roth. And now my older Roth shows up as an account I can select under Transaction History.

So clearly it WAS a valid account, one that they weren't displaying to me. I had asked them to move it if the account really was there, but their response indicated it wasn't. Either the rep misunderstood what happened, or they are flat out lying to me. Neither is good. I don't care about the $1.18, but if it can happen to that account, can it happen with one of my accounts that has 6 or 7 figures in the balance?

I'm going to start looking into whether and how to move my account over to Schwab or Fidelity.

There is a third possible possibility. It wasn't a "valid account" perhaps the reason nobody could find it was because it's in an invalid state. If you can't see it the rep probably couldn't see it either, for the most part they use the same interface you do. Perhaps they had to get it back to a support person looking at the database via SQL? Just as they could see it via a SQL statement the batch reporting job using different programs and SQL could see and report on the data. It wasn't "missing" nobody, except a batch report and some unknown person at Vanguard found, could see it for whatever reason. But it was there hiding in plain sight. [emoji23]

There is a third possible possibility. It wasn't a "valid account" perhaps the reason nobody could find it was because it's in an invalid state. If you can't see it the rep probably couldn't see it either, for the most part they use the same interface you do. Perhaps they had to get it back to a support person looking at the database via SQL? Just as they could see it via a SQL statement the batch reporting job using different programs and SQL could see and report on the data. It wasn't "missing" nobody, except a batch report and some unknown person at Vanguard found, could see it for whatever reason. But it was there hiding in plain sight. [emoji23]
That sounds reasonable. If true, it falls under "the rep misunderstood the situation", because they should have told me they found the account, and transferred the dollar and change out of the account as I requested.

It's a shame that Vanguard doesn't provide as good of support as you do. I looked back for one of my previous problems, them putting a totally different address on a page of statements, and you had a good theory for that too. https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ssion-would-you-switch-88077.html#post1924134 is my post and your reply a few down. VG never even got back to me on that one.

Anyway, your explanations, even though they are just educated guesses, have been helpful to me. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom