Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet

I just read about that tablet yesterday and was interested. DW wants a reader before our next vacation. The Kindle looks and feels great but it doesn't handle loans from the library. The Nook, the Kobo and the Cruz sound better for that. As for myself, I want a full featured tablet to take on our next vacation. I am scratching my head between an iPad2 and some sort of Android tablet. In either case, I want to be able to read library books on the device. I don't want to pay for a 3G contract so the Xoom is out for now. Here is a site with reviews of teh Cruz, Nook, and Kobo: eBook Reader Reviews, eReader and Tablet News, Free eBooks

Lots of new tablets hitting in the next few months. Samsung just came out with a couple with better pricing than the iPad. If you want to go the cheap route, you can always by a B&N Nook Color and "root" it with Honeycomb. Will cost you around $250.

Lots of new tablets hitting in the next few months. Samsung just came out with a couple with better pricing than the iPad. If you want to go the cheap route, you can always by a B&N Nook Color and "root" it with Honeycomb. Will cost you around $250.

Yeah, don't really need one, so might wait for them to get cheaper/faster. iPad is w-a-y out of my price range. Don't need 3/4G, just wifi. Mostly for ebooks and surfing whilst on the sofa.

Looks like the recipe for rooting the Cruz is also available:
I rooted my Cruz Tablet - SlateDroid.com

I'm wary, however. I found a lot more positive information on rooting the Nook.

Interested, but I'm staying on the fence for now. I predict a tablet price war breaking out just in time for Christmas.

To show you how out of touch I am with technology, I thought Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet was medication. ....and a very strange one at that...:blink:

From reviews I read, it uses an underpowered processor, can't be upgraded to a newer version of Android, can't access the google market without a hack, and has a less then responsive touch screen. That said the price is pretty decent. I agree with Htown Harry: there will be a price war on tablets soon. Maybe by Christmas, maybe later. I'd wait. Amazon has them for 179.99.

From reviews I read, it uses an underpowered processor, can't be upgraded to a newer version of Android, can't access the google market without a hack, and has a less then responsive touch screen. That said the price is pretty decent. I agree with Htown Harry: there will be a price war on tablets soon. Maybe by Christmas, maybe later. I'd wait. Amazon has them for 179.99.

That pretty much nixes it for me. Think I'll continue to wait for competition to drives features up and price down.

Merry Christmas to myself!

Verizon has Apple Ipad (1) Wifi only 16G at $299. I think it is a better choice, no cameras though.

mP

Nook Rules

I decided to get a Nook Color for several reasons. First I like the touch screen. Second, it runs on an underlying Android OS and will get a firmware upgrade this month that will let me use it for Android messaging like I have on my phone. So I hope to be able to use the native device for my routine needs soon.

And third, and more fun, it is a pretty open platform. I was able to download an Android Honeycomb tablet OS and burn it to a micro SD card (took less than an hour to get the image file, a free image burner, and burn the image). The SD card is bootable so the tablet OS comes up when it is inserted in the slot. Hooks right up to my home WIFI - I will try my phone hotspot later. I haven't downloaded apps yet but I can load Kindle as well as the Nook app so, potentially get the best of both worlds.

Here is a screen shot before installing any additional apps. The basic image has messaging and a browser.

Attachments

• NookDroid.jpg
    NookDroid.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom