Volkswagen squashes the Beetle

My first new car was a 73 Super Beetle at about $2500. Most things were easily fixed for this mechanically deficient owner. I really liked the entire range of VW models so eventually owned 2 Karmann Ghias (72 coupe and 73 convertable), 2 buses (70 and 72), and a 71 Westfalia. I would buy any of these again if they were offered new. However, it won't happen and the water-cooled models don't have the same attraction for me. Sorry to see it go but it really was gone when the air-cooled models were discontinued.

Cheers!

VW was making air-cooled Beetles in Mexico for years after they stopped importing them to the US. I think the last model year was 2004.

My first new car was a '72 Corolla. While I was shopping around, my cousin tried to convince me to buy a Bug. My Corolla was a POS, but based on the comments here I think I would have been even more unhappy with a Bug.

I have a little blue oval window 1955 bug sitting in my shop. Has a nearly new dual carb 1800 cc power plant in her, married up to a low-geared bus transmission.

Don’t know what I’m going to do with this little gem. Sort of scares me a bit to drive since it doesn’t have any of the modern safety features ... like seatbelts and safety glass ... found in newer cars.

Back
Top Bottom