Nice Cars... is it a vice?

I don’t anymore. I used to lust for Ferraris and other fast cars. Now I lust for vehicles that can haul stuff and get to places that most others can’t. Most fast cars can’t haul much, and they are generally too difficult to get in and out off.

I saw a bumper sticker on a Toyota 4x4 with big tires that said, "My car may not be very fast but it can go ANYWHERE".

I thought it was cute (if not a little exaggerated).

That's good, practical, no-nonsense transportation.

When you are ready to step up to something that will make you excited about going places, let me know! ;)

Sorry, I'll never be ready if it means that I have to either endure pain to get into it, or submit to whatever my car thinks I should be doing to drive safely (instead of what my common sense and 56 years of driving experience tells me I should be doing to drive safely). :D

Sorry, I'll never be ready if it means that I have to either endure pain to get into it, or submit to whatever my car thinks I should be doing to drive safely (instead of what my common sense and 56 years of driving experience tells me I should be doing to drive safely). :D

W2R, when the new GM electric Hummer comes out, you may want to look at that. Plus, it should survive anything bad going on in N.O. if you happen to be driving thru it! :D

Although, the Venza with 33K on it is just about broken in and should last a very long time. Plus, those are great cars!

Reactions: W2R
I've had buyers remorse for purchases smaller than a car, but never regretted a new car I've purchased. Buyer's remorse comes from not fully thinking everything through, your needs, the products and making a rational decision. I spend a lot of thought before I buy a new car because it's a major purchase, even if you choose a really inexpensive option under $30K.

If you can afford it, and you do your research, I don't think you'll have buyers remorse. It's a different story if your funds are limited or you buy a new car based on emotion and not how the car will improve your life.

There is one brand out there that consistently gets rated with the highest "Owner Satisfaction" ratings. And not by a small margin! I think "Owner Satisfaction" ratings most closely correlate (inversely of course) to how likely you are to have buyer's remorse.

Do you know what brand consistently get's the highest "Owner Satisfaction" rating?

Where I live, it would be nearly impossible to get the satisfaction I would crave from a high end car. What is that, you ask? The ability to drive like a bat out of hell. :D Plus, the roads are absolute shiznat in these parts and they will destroy a nice sports car in pretty short order. So, for me...a car is merely an appliance. I have a truck that is relatively new and it's a nice ride...plus I can carry/tow a bunch of crap with it.

So perhaps "buyer's remorse" isn't quite the correct phrasing.

Where I live, it would be nearly impossible to get the satisfaction I would crave from a high end car. What is that, you ask? The ability to drive like a bat out of hell. :D Plus, the roads are absolute shiznat in these parts and they will destroy a nice sports car in pretty short order. So, for me...a car is merely an appliance. I have a truck that is relatively new and it's a nice ride...plus I can carry/tow a bunch of crap with it.

So perhaps "buyer's remorse" isn't quite the correct phrasing.

Owner satisfaction in this part of Texas comes from those families with Big pickup trucks for the guy and leased BMW's for the woman of the house. Otherwise, it's just Plain Vanilla"! :LOL:

I hear you, I consider all my cars appliances too. I don't baby them or worry about paint chips and what-not. But I still like driving them and want them to let me feel like I'm in control. That's what a direct-drive A/C motor does for you - it makes the car feel like it's connected directly to your thoughts. It's responsiveness. Once I experienced it I didn't like that disconnected feeling all other cars gave me.

But I think I've found a solution that will work for me. Blow some dough on renting one of these on holiday. Then I can sample several. And not only supercars. Many older cars would be fun too.

Better start doing some googling.

Found the getaround website. They had several possibilities near where I live. For 3-4000 a week I could try a 911, various AMGs, a Mustang, a few Jags, S-Audis etc. No Ferraris but many cars I would love to try out for a week. Do not neccesarily have to be very pricey. The Mini Cooper would be fun too.

For real exotics I need to travel to get there.

One of the things that I have always loved about my performance cars was just enjoying the sound of the engine. In fact, I rarely even bother to turn on the radio and was never into equipping them with fancy stereo systems that only added weight. Same with sun roofs and convertible tops. My addiction started with 60s muscle cars and progressed into sport cars and only increased further after attending some GP racing events. Nothing beats it for me.
You sound a lot like me....There is nothing like the sound of a big V8 near redline. (or getting there:)) I don't like to modify mine (keep them stock, except maybe the exhaust) but I do like to have the newest gadgets and comfort. But when it gets down to it, the results below is all that matters. Not bad for a stock Jeep and a non professional driver at the wheel. Proof of my claim in post 33.

Attachments

• Happy.jpg
    Happy.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
^ Jeep GC's are fast. I had the fastest lap time at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, Illinois in my Jeep GC (until they installed the asphalt pavement)

https://autobahncc.com
It helps to have 707hp and AWD.... Even makes a poor driver like me look like an expert.

You sound a lot like me....There is nothing like the sound of a big V8 near redline. (or getting there:)) I don't like to modify mine (keep them stock, except maybe the exhaust) but I do like to have the newest gadgets and comfort. But when it gets down to it, the results below is all that matters. Not bad for a stock Jeep and a non professional driver at the wheel. Proof of my claim in post 33.
Nice performance

I do like to have the newest gadgets and comfort. But when it gets down to it, the results below is all that matters. Not bad for a stock Jeep and a non professional driver at the wheel. Proof of my claim in post 33.

That's pretty good acceleration for an SUV powered by gasoline. :LOL:

The Tesla Model X P100D is significantly faster but it costs more too. On the other hand, it doesn't glug the $premium$ and it has more cargo/people capacity.

Nice performance
Thanks, the AWD really allows me to use the HP. I've owned/driven Vetts for more than 15 years before switching to the Jeep platform and the acceleration comparison between the two is something you need to experaince to believe. It's the strongest launching stock vehicle I've ever driven.

Last edited:

Very nice! :cool: Those Jeeps are quicker than I would have imagined!

But 4 wheel drive and auto transmission helps a lot.
+1

Vehicles today can be much more forgiving than their predecessors. Technology has made a huge difference although common sense is still a great asset.

I had an experience of stepping on it on an uneven road surface. AWD made both axels "bite" at unexpected times. I will not repeat the experience.

But 4 wheel drive and auto transmission helps a lot.
I never noticed the other comments (I often just ignore some posters comments) but you are absolutely correct, AWD and an electronic 8 speed auto allows me to use all that HP... Sometimes for fun I'll actually engage and use the paddle shifters... It's fun but leaving it in auto mode gives me my best times, so far. :)

Last edited:
Never noticed the other comments (I just ignore some posters comments) but you are absolutely correct, AWD and an electronic 8 speed auto allows me to use all that HP... Sometimes for fun I'll actually engage and use the paddle shifters... It's fun but leaving it in auto mode gives me my best times, so far. :)

Before my Audi, I had a highly modified M6 1LE Camaro that was making 536 RWHP, and I could not launch that car worth a dam vs autos on the drag strip. On a road course the manual was not a disadvantage.

Now at the drag strip, the Audi lets me cut 60 ft times like a pro and I also let the auto shift itself.

+1

Vehicles today can be much more forgiving than their predecessors. Technology has made a huge difference although common sense is still a great asset.

Absolutely. I can remember the days when a manual stick shift was the only way a performance car was built... No self respecting hot rodder would be caught driving a slush bucket just ~20 years ago. Not so anymore.... These 8+ speed electronic autos are the way to go.

Last edited:
Before my Audi, I had a highly modified M6 1LE Camaro that was making 536 RWHP, and I could not launch that car worth a dam vs autos on the drag strip. On a road course the manual was not a disadvantage.

Now at the drag strip, the Audi lets me cut 60 ft times like a pro and I also let the auto shift itself.
The Jeep has a pretty sophisticated and customizable launch control system but I still find my best times are by just applying a little old fashion power braking and then mashing the gas. I'm still getting a little wheel spin on all 4 wheels but I've got it down to almost nothing to get my best times. Fun hobby! :)

Hilarious.... I've seen a number of videos with Tesla's towing gas generators on a trailer behind their cars but nothing that small.

Got my bronco reserved through the local dealer. But they didn’t seem like they knew what they were doing, so I cancelled and reserved through a different dealer. Should be able to price out options next month, order in December, and hopefully get it in 2021. Can’t wait - I have some exploring to do.

Back
Top Bottom