Nice Cars... is it a vice?

I know it would be wise to wait a couple of years. But like aja8888 says, we are getting old.

So I reserved online just now.

Ha! I love a guy who knows what he wants and plans ahead.

I ordered our Volvo S80 T6 almost a year in advance and was glad I did. We got every option we wanted without any we didn't want to pay for. And the car came right off the train, no sitting around in the weather for months with a dead battery.

I tried to order an F-150 4x4 from the factory because it has so many options (three engines, three rear end ratios, RWD vs. 4WD, different packages, wheels, etc. After 6 months of checking the inventories of local dealerships on-line, I found one outfitted just how we wanted and in the right color. But then I noticed it didn't have the right ratio in the differentials. Finally I tried to order one from the factory but they had never seen a guy who knew exactly what he wanted and wasn't willing to take a different rear end ratio, color or other option to drive it off the lot immediately. So I literally couldn't get them to order one. Strangest thing I ever saw. I had the cash and was willing to sign the papers in advance but they told me "That's not how this works".

Been married to DH for almost 42 years now. We (He) has had over 100 cars. Some used some project cars to resale and lots and lots of new cars. Always got a great deal because he is addicted to cars.

Currently we have a 2019 F250 to pull our rv and a 2017 Honda CRV LX. Both paid for in cash. We are thinking of getting out of the RV business and would probably sell the 2019 F250 and downsize to an F150 since we need a truck as we have a house.

The older we get we do like all the bells and whistles. ie...leather heated seats, camera, drive assist etc.

Also seems we might be giving up the awd Honda for a new jeep wrangler. Cars have now become my vise now too. We will be able to sell our truck and our car and pay cash for the two new vehicles from the sale of our current two vehicles.

If you forgive me for choosing a Tesla as my daily driver...if I should buy a non-electric and really blow that dough I think the 812 Superfast would be pretty high on my list.

I visited the Ferrari museum in Modena years back and fell in love with half the cars there. Back then they were just dreams but now the dream could come true. But it could if I would.

In a more modest? price range the Vantage. The coupe not the roadster. And no flashy colors.

Is there anyone, anywhere, who doesn't lust after a Ferrari?
I would like to drive one but not own one. I've known a few Ferrari, Maserati and several Porsche owners... They all have the same basic complaint. Constant maintenance headaches. Many are beautiful cars, luxurious, fast and expensive. But for less money I can (and have) bought faster cars, that were just as luxurious and much, much more reliable. But that's me.

Last edited:
I would like to drive one but not own one. I've known a few Ferrari, Maserati and several Porsche owners... They all have the same basic complaint. Constant maintenance headaches. Many are beautiful cars, luxurious, fast and expensive. But for less money I can (and have) bought faster cars, that were just as luxurious and much, much more reliable. But that's me.

This is what I am thinking too. And have heard.

But I think I've found a solution that will work for me. Blow some dough on renting one of these on holiday. Then I can sample several. And not only supercars. Many older cars would be fun too.

Better start doing some googling.

Elon Musk and his acolytes?

I'm probably one of his acolytes since I love my Tesla. Elon Musk probably drive his Teslas most of the time. But he has several other cars:

1976 BMW 320i was his first car.

2005 BMW M5 Hamman after selling hist first company

1920 Ford Model T
1967 Jaguar E-Type
1976 Lotus Esprite - the underwater one from James Bond

1997 McLaren F1
2008 Tesla Roadster

2010 Audi Q7 - yes he has a busload of kids

2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

2019 Tesla Model S Performance
2020 Tesla Cybertruck

Source: https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/elon-musk-collection/

...yes I guess most of these should be on my list of nice cars to rent on holidays...

I visited the Ferrari museum in Modena years back and fell in love with half the cars there. Back then they were just dreams but now the dream could come true. But it could if I would.

I would love to visit the Ferrari factory! While I was at it, I would visit the Ducati and Lamborghini factories in Bologna! :dance:

I completely agree with this! I love the performance and history of the exotics but it would really be a downer to have to have your own mechanic just to maintain them without spending the retirement fund too soon.

And that's why I'm such a huge fan of Tesla's. They provide 90% of the performance while being easier and less expensive to own than a Geo Metro! I guess some would say I'm a Tesla "acolyte" but if that's just a derogatory term for "enthusiast", than I'm guilty as charged.

I know a few Mustang enthusiasts but I don't call them "acolytes" even though they are equally enthused about Mustangs. They live, breath and sleep Mustangs. :confused:

Hey, I USED to like Mustangs, back in the 1970's, but I guess I don't get it now. But that's OK, different strokes for different folks! :LOL:

There is a guy in a city near me who owns half a dozen exotic Ferraris, along with dozens of other incredible "one of a kind" cars. Unlike some collectors, he actually keeps them all street legal and drives each one at least once a year.

He has a full time employee who takes care of them for him on a day to day basis, but he really loves his car collection. Some of them cost multiple millions.

I completely agree with this! I love the performance and history of the exotics but it would really be a downer to have to have your own mechanic just to maintain them without spending the retirement fund too soon.

And that's why I'm such a huge fan of Tesla's. They provide 90% of the performance while being easier and less expensive to own than a Geo Metro! I guess some would say I'm a Tesla "acolyte" but if that's just a derogatory term for "enthusiast", than I'm guilty as charged.

I know a few Mustang enthusiasts but I don't call them "acolytes" even though they are equally enthused about Mustangs. They live, breath and sleep Mustangs. :confused:

Hey, I USED to like Mustangs, back in the 1970's, but I guess I don't get it now. But that's OK, different strokes for different folks! :LOL:

Tons of Mustangs around where I live. Not my cup of tea.

I read a quote yesterday that I think is fitting. Sure, it references Tesla, but you could replace that any number of cars.

"I would much rather have the ability to buy a Tesla rather than actually own one."

This is something I wrestle with on occasion. We have the ability to have at least one pretty sweet ride but I just can't find a way to part with the money and I fear that I would buyers remorse within a few short weeks.

One of the things that I have always loved about my performance cars was just enjoying the sound of the engine. In fact, I rarely even bother to turn on the radio and was never into equipping them with fancy stereo systems that only added weight. Same with sun roofs and convertible tops. My addiction started with 60s muscle cars and progressed into sport cars and only increased further after attending some GP racing events. Nothing beats it for me.

I don’t anymore. I used to lust for Ferraris and other fast cars. Now I lust for vehicles that can haul stuff and get to places that most others can’t. Most fast cars can’t haul much, and they are generally too difficult to get in and out off.

Me!! :greetings10: I mean seriously, have you LOOKED at them? They are just way too low for anybody over 70, with the slightest bit of arthritis pain, to even consider. It hurts to even look at them. Ferrari doesn't want our business.

Actually NONE of the cars mentioned on this thread so far, do a thing for me. Mustangs, Teslas, BMW's, none of them. None of the car manufacturers are making anything that is appealing to me (or many of their potential customers, in my opinion) any more. I think they need to do some serious market research.

One of these days, maybe I'll finally see a new model of car or SUV that is exactly what I want. If/when I do I'll be first in line for it, cash in hand.

So, in the mean time, what are you driving?

A 2009 Toyota Venza. And even it is kind of a "nanny car", too much electronics. But newer cars are worse when it comes to electronics. When I drive, I want to be the one actively driving and making the decisions, not the car. At least the Venza is comfortable and easy to get into and out of. And, it's got plenty of cargo space and other than the electronics, I think it's a reasonably good car for me.

My Venza only has 33,000 miles on it but I'd still buy a new car in a heartbeat if I found one that I liked. I'm 72 and by now I can finally afford whatever I want (if there was a car I actually wanted).

This is something I wrestle with on occasion. We have the ability to have at least one pretty sweet ride but I just can't find a way to part with the money and I fear that I would buyers remorse within a few short weeks.

I've had buyers remorse for purchases smaller than a car, but never regretted a new car I've purchased. Buyer's remorse comes from not fully thinking everything through, your needs, the products and making a rational decision. I spend a lot of thought before I buy a new car because it's a major purchase, even if you choose a really inexpensive option under $30K.

If you can afford it, and you do your research, I don't think you'll have buyers remorse. It's a different story if your funds are limited or you buy a new car based on emotion and not how the car will improve your life.

There is one brand out there that consistently gets rated with the highest "Owner Satisfaction" ratings. And not by a small margin! I think "Owner Satisfaction" ratings most closely correlate (inversely of course) to how likely you are to have buyer's remorse.

Do you know what brand consistently get's the highest "Owner Satisfaction" rating?

A 2009 Toyota Venza. And even it is kind of a "nanny car", too much electronics. But newer cars are worse when it comes to electronics. When I drive, I want to be the one actively driving and making the decisions, not the car.

My Venza only has 33,000 miles on it but I'd still buy a new car in a heartbeat if I found one that I liked.

That's good, practical, no-nonsense transportation.

When you are ready to step up to something that will make you excited about going places, let me know! ;)

I think the higher end models come with a pair of big beefy guys who will pick you up and place you in the driver's seat. :LOL:

Well, as long as they are good looking and don't smell too bad..... :D :ROFLMAO:

If I open the driver's door of my Venza and turn sideways, the driver's seat is exactly the same height as my behind. No need for struggling or pain to get in or out of it.

Back
Top Bottom