Wasteful people (rant)

Well, on the whole, it does. It means more demands on our natural resources and more crap in the landfills. For those who waste a lot of food it means higher grocery bills. An insane amount of food is wasted in this country- left in the fields by automated harvesting methods, spoiled in transit, past dated at the store, thrown out by restaurants, rotting in peoples' refrigerators and pantries. How many people would this feed if more were recovered?

I'm "affluent" by raised by frugal people. I was tickled pink when I got a sprinkler system that taps into weather reports and doesn't sprinkle when enough rain has fallen or is predicted. My thermostat is programmable and I love the days when all I need to do is shut off the system and open the windows.

Hmmm, I hang laundry outside to dry 6 months of the year. I just like the smell of line dried clothes/towels/linens and it's my little contribution to the environment. My only concession is no underwear gets displayed.

So I dunno, do I gripe about neighbors that never hang anything outside and are contributing to global warming? Or do they gripe about the crappy neighbor that hangs their laundry outside?

I tend to ignore what the neighbors do, as long as it's not infringing on me directly.

My goal is to get the poo off the streets. And again the people that bag it and toss the bag onto the sidewalk, parkway, or even a yard...also a big no-no.

I routinely pick up poo left behind by others less considerate (and some left by coyotes). And I make sure it gets disposed of properly. In trash cans.

I doubt that many people would mind you using their trash can to dispose of dog poop that is already bagged. That's what a trash can is for, to deposit yucky stuff.

Well, I live in West Virginia. If you have a paved driveway you're a Rich Man.:)

Our former neighbor at my old place, who lived behind my grandparents, once said that she would feel like she had it made when she finally had a paved driveway, with a red Cadillac in it.

They moved, back around 2001 I think, and had a custom-built house in Southern Maryland. And damn if she didn't finally get her paved driveway! Finally got her red Cadillac as well, a 2002 or so DeVille, or DTS or whatever they were calling it by then.

Runs the A/C when its a beautiful 72-75 degree day with a perfectly slight breeze. In fact, they don't shut the A/C off ever, never open the windows and say they have "allergies". Must be allergic to beautiful weather.
This is me. If I open up the windows on a cool day from April to early June or September-mid October, is a few hours my eyes will be red and itching from the pollen. As others have mentioned, keeping the windows closed and running the AC at that time is not a waste. My July Heat Pump bill can be over $210, my October heat pump bill is < $170.

I don't know why it bothers me so much but it seems to. DW says move along and just worry about us. I get it but main the waste I am seeing there is appalling.

I agree with your DW. Unless your neighbors are doing things that are directly encroaching on your property, it is none of your business. It is always easier to see "imperfections" in others while one explains away their own "imperfections".

About a month ago DW were out for a walk in the neighborhood when we met a new neighbor. When we told them where we lived, they said "oh, you are next to the house with all those junk trucks! How can you stand to live there?" In truth, I never noticed what our neighbor had. When I actually did look, the "junk trunks" were 3 older trucks near the road on their property but barely visible from our front porch. I have seen the neighbor working on them, and know at least 2 of them are drivable. It is on their property, in fact I think they parked them where they did out of courtesy to us.

It is none of our business, maintaining my own property does not leave me with time to worry about other :).

<snip>I agree with your DW. Unless your neighbors are doing things that are directly encroaching on your property, it is none of your business. It is always easier to see "imperfections" in others while one explains away their own "imperfections".<snip>

Exactly.

Something about planks and motes.

My neighbor ran the AC all the time too. Must have had a killer electric bill in the summertime.

I couldn't care less, I don't have to pay it.

I think many of you might find this interesting and perhaps support this recycling program

Mundano: Trash cart superheroes

Recycling and trash collectors around the world provide a vital service. But they're often undervalued in society. Graffiti artist and TED Fellow Mundano tried to make them visible, through art and an app.

Here is the link to the podcast. If you only want to listen to the recycling program click on Trash Cart Superheros.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/1048...-does-it-take-to-turn-an-idea-into-a-movement

My neighbors have 2 new Bentleys sitting in their often opened garage. I am not complaining about them but my husband often whispers into my ears whether we should buy a Bentley. Yeah... No!

Our HOA only has power over the few common areas. If we wanted to put a fridge in the front yard, they'd have to call the county on us. Other than that, about all they can do is give us the Cut Direct :D

I definitely no sofas or refrigerators allowed on the front lawns, and that is just fine with us.

I don't mind if you drop your bagged poop in my can. Especially if you scooped it up from my lawn.

Thank you very much!

I wouldn't even care if you tossed unbagged poop you scooped off my lawn into my can.

Better than just leaving it there. Dogs will be dogs.

Last edited:
It used to be about money but now it is about environment. All the packaging from food and stuff we buy, and all the plastics and the stuff used on the surface (PFAS), are slowly and consistently making our environment more and more difficult for our future generation to survive.

That and the resource shortage.

We consume things and energy like there is no tomorrow. In fact that is a close-to-true analogy.

After walking my dog about 3 times per day for the last 5 years, bagging poop has become an art form for me. I use special bags that mask the odor and tie them off with a special knot. ;)

It's a skill one can learn in retirement.

Our community center has a "Special Trash Can" for poop bag disposal if the even occurs in the area.

Maybe I will post a video of my process if I have a walking partner one day.

All we can do is lead by example, and I always acknowledge the neighbors who do a better job. I too chafe ( internally ) about the things in the OP. We have some decent neighbors, but a whole bunch of stuff going on that we can do nothing about. I am looking forward to the move because of this.

I neither chafe externally or internally. I don't care. Not my business. Not my bills.

I am looking forward to not moving because of this.

Lots of people are wasteful. I am not gonna spend my energy on thinking about it.
I just try to not be wasteful, and maybe take it too far sometimes.

House next to us went up for sale. The only thing I hope for is a quiet neighbor.
Not someone that wants to rock and roll all night and party every day.
The list price is eye popping, so I'm sure it won't be anyone poor.

I don't waste.

I don't like seeing people wasting stuff, hence I try not to look and to observe.

I like to look and observe, see what's out there.

My neighbors have 2 new Bentleys sitting in their often opened garage. I am not complaining about them but my husband often whispers into my ears whether we should buy a Bentley. Yeah... No!
What? You don't even one ONE Bentley? Geeze this forum is really going downhill.

Gotta keep up with the Jone's

And we are not strong enough to fold and compress the biggest boxes to fit the bins exactly.

A small saw kept near the recycling bin can make short work of those tough boxes.

A small saw kept near the recycling bin can make short work of those tough boxes.
Or a box cutter. That's what I use.

Back
Top Bottom