We have a dog in the house

BrianB

Recycles dryer sheets
We have a new member of our household. Meet Kimchi, a Shiba Inu mix (what we used to call a "Backyard Indiscretion"). She is a rescue dog so we don't know much about her background. She is about 2 years old, 16" at the shoulder and 23 lbs. She's been with us about three weeks now.

We've been a dogless family for over a decade but when our Daughter moved back for a few months between apartment leases she was already looking. It's not easy right now. Many people have been adopting pets during the Covid shutdown. Lots of Pitties available but medium and small dogs are hard to find. It's also a challenge because when you pick a dog from web photos you can't get a sense of their personality.

When she first arrived she couldn't even climb stairs. It took a lot of treats and coaxing to get her to go up and we actually had to carry her down a few times. Within a week she was bounding up and down easily. We think she was in a large-scale kennel and never got much individual attention or play time. She was bred at least once but is healthy and happy.

Every morning when she wakes it's like she can't believe she is still here. She greets each of us and gets a dose of love, then waits by the door for her morning walk. When that's done she goes straight to her crate because she knows it's meal time. Her happiness is just contagious (in a good way!) Shibas don't bark much but they make a special sound almost like the cry of a fox. It's more a sign of "everything is OK" than distress.

I had forgotten how much a good dog can add to a home. She's gentle and smart, and she's already learned basic commands. She loves to cuddle up while we're watching TV and spends time every day outside where she and our neighbor's dog can see each other and play. Walking the trails behind our house is an adventure for her and she always finds new sights and smells.

I will miss her when DD moves out next month. It will be just 20 minutes away so we're expecting lots of visits.

Attachments

• Kimchi.jpg
    Kimchi.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 68
Good looking dog! I've lived with dogs since I was 5 and don't plan to change anytime soon.

Why you named Kimchi for shiba? Kimchi is korean, Shiba is japanese dog breed. I am from S korea. good looking dog. happy for you to have a dog to enjoy.

Why you named Kimchi for shiba? Kimchi is korean, Shiba is japanese dog breed. I am from S korea. good looking dog. happy for you to have a dog to enjoy.

Good question! Our Daughter named her Kimchi and I looked it up. One internet source said:

South Koreans insist it be spelled kimchee, instead of kimchi or kimuchi, which many consider to be Japanese variants of the Korean name

Anyway, that's her name now and it's too late to change!

ETA: Both DD and DW love kimchee (the food). Don't care for it myself!

Last edited:
Such a sweetheart! Our house wouldn't be the same without our crew of dogs. They can be a slight pain (like DEMANDING getting a walk when THEY want it!) but truly enrich out lives. I have tons of pics, but this is the most recent with the whole brood. All three are rescues.

Attachments

• Critters.jpg
    Critters.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 54
Congratulation on your "grand dog!" We are on our 4th rescue dog and by far the best one! Although everyone has been wonderful. I sincerely believe that rescued animals somehow appreciate a family. It's like they remember what they have gone thru and are truly happy and committed to their new people.

You can always volunteer to have your daughter drop the dog off each day when she goes to work....

Attachments

• Lacey Watermelon.jpg
    Lacey Watermelon.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The daughter of my DW's BFF has a couple shibas, also adopted. They're an interesting breed, remind me of a basenji I once had.

Beautiful pup. This former shiba owner wishes you the best of luck. :)

You can always volunteer to have your daughter drop the dog off each day when she goes to work....

We're kind of hoping that will happen. We're retired and when not traveling we would welcome Kimchi anytime. All the fun and none of the hard stuff - like having grandchildren!

DD's employer is in our neighborhood (although she is working from home until at least Labor Day), so we might become her Doggie Day Care service. :dance:

My old gal Dusty is nearly 14, continues to hang on and remains the joy of the house. She is spoiled rotten and must remain in a room where someone is -The wife or I. Around 10PM she falls asleep and waking her for that final walk has become a real chore. Sometimes she sneaks upstairs to her bed early and is out cold. It then becomes like waking the dead. That final walk means she sleeps past 5AM which is kind on this old man.

I am convinced this house would feel empty without her.IMG_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a really sweet pup.

After almost two years without a lab, I found my latest about two months ago. Tilly is now 8 months and already up to 55 lbs. She was 6 months old or so in the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 45
Spoiled rotten you say?

24337471476_78c5827193_o.jpg

I love all the photos. I have only ever had cats. As a kid, I had a few dog incidents that terrified me so I’ve always been a little wary of dogs. But when I do find my permanent landing spot after retirement, I want to adopt a dog. I am not as scared as I used to be, and I think it would be a joy to take a dog out for a daily walk. I am envious when I see others walking their dogs at the park or in the neighborhood. I’ll still get a cat or two as well. I have a feeling that my house will look like that scene in Ace Ventura where all of Ace’s pets come out to greet him when he comes home.

Ohhh It's puppy show and tell time! I lost our Golden rescue in December. By February I started looked for replacement dog. I called a friend that was scheduled to get a Golden pup in May. She got me in touch with the breeder. I got lucky as someone dropped out at the last minute. I was expecting a Fall puppy.

She is just so much fun. I laugh every day with her. She is laying by my chair outside right now. We have had 2 walks , (so far) today.
uiA666Edvkg5oiRQ8

Last edited:
This makes my heart glad, having just lost our pooch yesterday. It is amazing how much a dog brings into your life, if only regiment for walks and fixing dinner on time.

Ohhh It's puppy show and tell time! I lost our Golden rescue in December. By February I started looked for replacement dog. I called a friend that was scheduled to get a Golden pup in May. She got me in touch with the breeder. I got lucky as someone dropped out at the last minute. I was expecting a Fall puppy.

She is just so much fun. I laugh every day with her. She is laying by my chair outside right now. We have had 2 walks , (so far) today.
uiA666Edvkg5oiRQ8

I can't see the image in your post, but when I copy the url into another window I can see it. What an adorable, fluffy puppy! :)

BrianB - Darling dog!

Travelover - So sorry to hear about your pet's passing. Our dog is a big part of our life, too, especially with our kids grown up. Our kids call our dog our replacement child.

B
Travelover - So sorry to hear about your pet's passing. Our dog is a big part of our life, too, especially with our kids grown up. Our kids call our dog our replacement child.

replacement? My wife & I decided to try our parenting skills out on a puppy before trying a kid

Adorable dogs, Everyone!
Our rescue is 10 years old, he has been a real sweetie. Shar Pei/Pit mix, 90 lb lap dog(or so he tries!):LOL:

DW and I had dogs, always in pairs, for 33 of our 40 years together. We still think of Sugar & Winston, Mystic & Petey often and cherish every moment we had with them - memories we'll never forget. I suspect there will be another pair (dogs aren’t meant to be solitary) in our lives in the next few years after our travels/exploring slow down.

To those who say you can’t buy love, you learn otherwise when you bring a dog(s) into your life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom