What Did You Eat Today?

breakfast: 2 slices of bread and cup of almond milk w/ almond milk+expresso
lunch at Panera: vegetable soup, Mediterranean veggie sandwich without the Feta cheese, sprouted roll
dinner: ?

Eh, are you trying to say that I imitated Robbie and got into home cooking? I have been posting about home-cooked meals long before Robbie got here. ;)

There was a poster before me who was really into home cooking and did fancier things, but he has been absent for a while. Old-timers know who I am talking about. His little kid must be 7 or 8 by now.

I have not tried chicken sous vide, nor cooked it at that low a temperature although it should be safe. A Web site says that "chicken held at 148°F for three minutes will kill 99.999999% of salmonella". And with sous vide, the chicken is held at that temperature for a lot longer than 3 minutes. I should try to do this some time soon.

Google Douglas Baldwin. There is a lot of great information on the website, a practical guide to sous vide. You are trying to kill Salmonella, E. coli, and Campylobacter primarily. On the website, there is a lot of information about pasteurization, etc, with time and temperature and thickness tables, then some ideas about textures and cooking temperatures.When I reheated it, I held it at the pasteurization temperature again for required time, but a bit lower temperature so it wouldn't cook more, then briefly pan fried with a crust.

Thanks. Will look for that Web page. I have done steak sous vide, but did not think of chicken.

This is my go-to Web page: The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Chicken Breast | Serious Eats.

They show what to expect for chicken cooked sous vide with temperatures from 140F to 160F. I think your choice of 145F is a good one, though 150F would be OK too. I think I will try 150F first, as the texture will be closer to chicken cooked the traditional way.

One interesting thing they point out is that one cannot expect to make any pan sauce after searing the chicken. The meat is already cooked and will not release much juice to have that fond for the sauce. I think I will experiment here to make a sauce by alternative means.

Last edited:
I am back in town, and having my son, and my daughter with her husband over for dinner.

Have a leg of lamb roasting in the oven. The non-lamb eaters will have pedestrian chicken breast sous vide, which is stuffed with basil pesto and roasted bell pepper. Just made the mint sauce for the lamb.

I got a late start, and dinner will not be ready for another hour. It's OK, as my son is bringing over some "stuff" to make his usual cocktails, like whiskey sour and old fashion. I should get him to make me a mint julep. I have got mint growing like weed in the backyard.

Last edited:
I made Scottish Salmon with couscous. DW agreed the fish was yummy, she didn't know how much sashimi was removed before ruining(cooking).:D

We had gluten free eggplant parmigiana, it was delicious. I got lots of fresh herbs from my garden so it was a good way to use them too. It's the first time the eggplants are not bad, especially I got these on sale.

Last edited:
I had a very filling green smoothie for breakfast/lunch and spinach with lemon along with roasted vegetables (potatoes, green beans, eggplant, onion, red pepper, broccoli, celery and mushrooms) for dinner.

Breakfast - two eggs, over medium, bacon, 1/2 lousy pancake (no syrup).

Lunch - Diet A&W Root Beer (16 ounce size), apple, handfull of jelly beans (it's that time soon).;)

Dinner - Chicken strips (fried), ice water, small salad.

(not very exciting)

1/2 lousy pancake (no syrup).

Just curious. Was it a lousy pancake, so you only ate half of one? Or was it lousy that you only go half of one. And why no syrup? If I had to eat a pancake without syrup (lousy or not,) unless I could use jam or honey instead, I wouldn't bother to eat the pancake. But that's just me.

Just curious. Was it a lousy pancake, so you only ate half of one? Or was it lousy that you only go half of one. And why no syrup? If I had to eat a pancake without syrup (lousy or not,) unless I could use jam or honey instead, I wouldn't bother to eat the pancake. But that's just me.

It started out as a stack of two pancakes (Denny's). They were hard and not very warm. I cut the top one in half and only put a dab of butter on it. I used it to sop up the egg yolks cooked "over medium", which were more like "over easy". I left the 1 1/2 remaining pancakes (minimize the carbs here).

I am back in town, and having my son, and my daughter with her husband over for dinner.

Have a leg of lamb roasting in the oven. The non-lamb eaters will have pedestrian chicken breast sous vide, which is stuffed with basil pesto and roasted bell pepper. Just made the mint sauce for the lamb.

I got a late start, and dinner will not be ready for another hour. It's OK, as my son is bringing over some "stuff" to make his usual cocktails, like whiskey sour and old fashion. I should get him to make me a mint julep. I have got mint growing like weed in the backyard.
The family dinner last night was a success. Son, daughter, and son-in-law did not leave until 11PM.

The roasted leg of lamb was on the done side instead of medium as intended. I was too busy with browning the sous vide chicken and overcooked the lamb, but it still turned out tender and flavorful. The chicken breasts would not look too appetizing if not browned. I still managed to make a pan sauce after searing the chicken. I deglazed the pan using the juice that was released inside the sous vide pouches. Just added some flour for thickening, some garlic, fresh ground pepper, a pinch of Italian dried herb, a bit of butter, and the sauce was wonderful.

As my son-in-law and I were the only lamb eaters, we only did half of the roasted leg, then sampled the chicken. People including my wife raved about the juiciness of the meat. I cooked at 147F, and next time will go lower to 140F. I was afraid that the texture might be too soft at the lower temperature, but forgot that browning the meat afterwards would firm up the exterior.

I was drinking a couple of beers in the afternoon while preparing the meal, then moved onto a couple of glasses of red wine. Then, my son made me a mint julep. Then, he talked me into a Moscow Mule. After dinner, I had to have my shot or two of XO Cognac. Then, I topped it off with another shot of Calvados. My son-in-law hit these bottles hard too. Then, seeing that the bottles were getting low, he said he might need to get me some replacements!

Life is so darn good, even if I have to do my taxes today. Money is already moved to the checking account to pay the IRS, plus the penalty for not making quarterly payments. It's no big deal. I will try to avoid it for 2017.

Last edited:
Breakfast - pancakes with diced pears and nutmeg in them, chicken sausage, and a soy latte

Lunch - g-free flatbreads with roasted garlic, balsamic glaze, mushrooms, and onions

Dinner - baked chicken wings, salad, tater tots

Breakfast: two-egg omelette with grape tomatoes and grated Parmiggiano-Romano cheese, Lavazza coffee with 2% milk.

Late lunch/early dinner: spinach linguini with pepper sausage, mushroom, basil and tomato, grated P-R cheese. Small slice of Nutella cheesecake.

It was an Italian day. 🇮🇹

A sausage egg mcmuffen on the drive thru.

But DIY Katz pastrami Reubens for supper - :)

No breakfast: trying a version of intermittent fasting. Month 3 and I don't feel worse/better

Lunch: butter roasted salmon, salad, cantaloupe
(Googling a recipe not long ago, I subscribed to a NYT cooking blog ; they made me do it if I wanted to read the recipe a second time. An email with recipes arrives almost daily. Many of them are way over my head, but I've been trying 2-3 a week. This salmon one was almost a non-recipe and so good.)

Supper: dined out : fajitas nachos and Dos Equis

McCann steel cut Oatmeal with banana, strawberries and blueberries(2 oz each).

Lunch was a nasty protein bar and an ounce of beef jerky(lookout sodium).

Dinner was leftover green pork chili(roasted tomatillo, Anaheim pepper, Jalapeño, onion, cilantro, cummin, coriander seeds and pork shoulder) and a couple of tortillas.

What an interesting thread.

Made pancakes for breakfast, followed by a double shot of espresso (finally got the part in the mail to fix the grinder). Ran out of buttermilk and had to use 2%, ugh. The coffee made up for it, as I've been having espresso withdrawal DT's.

Made potato salad for lunch, with a grilled veggie dog.

Supper was tofu fajitas and homemade guacamole.

Been so busy since I FIRE'd I haven't been cooking at home as much as I'd like. Feels good to get into the kitchen again. After all, this is one of the activities I was looking forward to in retirement.

What an interesting thread.

Made pancakes for breakfast, followed by a double shot of espresso (finally got the part in the mail to fix the grinder). Ran out of buttermilk and had to use 2%, ugh. The coffee made up for it, as I've been having espresso withdrawal DT's.

Made potato salad for lunch, with a grilled veggie dog.

Supper was tofu fajitas and homemade guacamole.

Been so busy since I FIRE'd I haven't been cooking at home as much as I'd like. Feels good to get into the kitchen again. After all, this is one of the activities I was looking forward to in retirement.

You know that you can make a buttermilk substitute by adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk, eh?

How To Substitute Buttermilk In Any Recipe | Epicurious.com

Steel Oats for breakfast.
Hamburger at fancy burger place where you can make your own burger.
Gluten free pasta with meat bolognaise. It was delicious. I haven't had pasta for a long time.

Made a new knockout chocolate chip/raisin/walnut oatmeal cookie recipe. One POUND of butter, browned; and coffee made it sing and the baking soda was dissolved in hot coffee, which made them light. Better than the triple ginger cookies made a few days ago.

Made a new knockout chocolate chip/raisin/walnut oatmeal cookie recipe. One POUND of butter, browned; and coffee made it sing and the baking soda was dissolved in hot coffee, which made them light. Better than the triple ginger cookies made a few days ago.

They sound great! So, today you ate......cookies! But they contain nuts, so they're healthy, right?

After church last night we stopped at the local diner and I ordered a late night western omelet. DW went for cherry pie a-la mode and DFIL just had a sticky bun. They were all great!

For lunch. Bacon, lamb's liver, sautéed collard(julienned), and boiled potato. My husband's favorite lunch. For dessert, coffee with Turkish delight with pistachio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom