What do you want to be when you're 75?

ladypatriot

Recycles dryer sheets
Members here might enjoy reading this essay, and expressing their thoughts about "adaptive reuse." Essays like this annoy me.

Here's the link:
Live Longer And Prosper | Big Questions Online

I've got a overflowing bucket list, but training for a new job...oops, I mean experiencing "adaptive reuse"..... at 60 isn't in there.

LadyPatriot

OK, I'll go and get some Buffalo Chips when I'm 75. REW, do you recommend Salty or Plain?

What do you want to be when you're 75?

I'm not really sure what I am now at 52.....:blink:

I want to be one of those yoga doing thin women with great silver hair who are eternally hip ! Well I can dream can't I ?

I want to be one of those yoga doing thin women with great silver hair who are eternally hip ! Well I can dream can't I ?

Change yoga to Piliates and that's my future too.:ROFLMAO: I know...I dream too. They look so darn good,healthy and happy.

This is the sentence that annoyed me most, in what was generally an elitist, condescending piece.

" But to stave off psychological ennui, we’ll need to aim higher — to assume that, as long as they’re healthy enough, people will continue to work into their 70s. Just as we ask children, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” we should start asking adults (i.e., ourselves), “What do you want to be between ages 50 and 75?”

Psychological ennui? Is that what retirement is? Perhaps to the author of the essay, it is. To me, retirement is the gift of freedom and time, and I expect neither mental nor physical boredom...as I said, my bucket list is full. And while yoga and pilates aren't on my list, hiking portions of the Appalachian Trail are, and I expect to look pretty damn good doing it! I think the author expects that one should retire when one is not healthy enough to work anymore. So that means one should only retire when one is too feeble, sick or old to work anymore; which also leaves one too feeble, sick or old to enjoy retirement. That's demented.

LadyPatriot

I want to be:
- out of breath from a good laugh at least once every day with DH,
- still on my feet for a good walk or able to do a long bike ride,
- able to live in my own house and to care for it,
- able and interested to learn something new once in a while,
- a good friend to my friends and enjoying hanging around with family and friends,
- on a long vacation 2-4 times a year
- financially secure enough to do all that.

Looking at the list, the list is not so much different from how I am today and want to be when I am 60, 70, 80 and 90. Only that the vacations should be longer then.
(Happy dance...)

At age 75 I want to continue to be healthy and financially independent, as I am now.

The rest is icing on the cake.

Like many articles, this article seems to be pushing the gloom-and-doom idea that baby boomers will never be able to retire and will have to work until death. Like many on this forum, I have not and will not accept that fate. I have no intention of preparing for another career because I have no intention of ever working for a living again.

My mother lived to age 98, essentially, and she retired in her 60's like I did. I see no reason why I can't do the same, especially with a little bit of LBYM and lower expenses than she had, and I doubt that I will live longer than she did.

This is the sentence that annoyed me most, in what was generally an elitist, condescending piece.
" But to stave off psychological ennui, we’ll need to aim higher — to assume that, as long as they’re healthy enough, people will continue to work into their 70s. Just as we ask children, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” we should start asking adults (i.e., ourselves), “What do you want to be between ages 50 and 75?”
Psychological ennui? Is that what retirement is? Perhaps to the author of the essay, it is.
Hey, the (still working) author had to pump that crap out on deadline. I can't even remember the last time I felt it necessary to use the word "ennui" in a paragraph, let alone channel Spock.

I'm impressed with her chutzpah in accusing Marc Freedman of not working hard enough.

For all I know, writing books on glamour might be a lifelong avocation where it's difficult to discern when dementia has set in. Cosmetic surgery won't pay for itself during those later years, either, and it's tough to estimate those expenses for an ER budget.

But it certainly qualifies her to write on retirement as much as it qualifies me to write on glamour.

Buried in this column is a crucial assumption: that people over 65 will be retired.
They’ll withdraw from active engagement with younger colleagues, from productive problem-solving, from the world outside their seniors-only enclaves. They’ll spend 20 or 30 years playing golf, watching TV, and chasing people off their lawns. They’ll occasionally visit the grandkids, but mostly they’ll wait to die. They won’t learn anything new.

This is where the author goes completly off the tracks, read no farther. He does an about-face into how to get a job. :rant: :nonono:
Good thing I'm taking a class with all age groups from 19-ish up to my age and older. Maybe I should cram my brain with interesting stimulating learning to fall back on when I'm over 65. Okay, back to my study of Jean-Marc Nattier's "Terpsichore." I'd post a link but it wouldn't be safe for work.

Last edited:
I want to be the same as I am now at 71 looking foward to another 20 years of health, happiness and love.

Back
Top Bottom