What grocery stores in your town do you never go to?

I never go to Lidl. We went a couple of times after they opened to checking out and we were not at all impressed. Half the store isn’t even groceries. It’s a bunch of really cheap random crap. Aldi has the one aisle with stuff but it’s usually at least decent items.

Same opinion here EXCEPT they put the dang BAKERY near the front door and you can smell the cookies before you even get inside. Unfortunately the bakery bread and rolls are not as good as the cookies.

Morrisons an Aldi

I WISH we had an Aldi here. On the mainland we start there first. They have limited selection, but what they have (especially fresh produce, fruit, milk) is always the lowest price vs, say Walmart or Kroger. YMMV

We do our grocery shopping at Harris Teeter, Costco, Trader Joe’s mostly, some at Target and occasionally Whole Foods, Publix or Fresh Market. I haven’t gone to Aldi or Food Lion, but nothing against them or anyone else. We have Lidl but I haven’t bothered to find one.

For food items? I avoid any of the "dollar" stores. Other than that, I will and have shopped any other grocery store if they have what we want.

I see HEB mentioned a lot. I quite like HEB ever since we moved to Central Texas back in late 2018. We have four HEB stores within a 10-12 minute drive from our home, depending on the direction we go.

But here is where I have a bit of a rant. These locations carry *most* of the same items, but nearly every one of them has some items missing that one or more of the other of these HEB stores will carry. Some are better stocked in produce, while others are better stocked in bakery. So, every week, I visit at least two of these four stores to get the items we want. /rant

...as a rule the Wally's in small towns were cleaner and the staff friendlier and more eager to help than their stores in larger towns.

Small towns are usually where I am in Walmarts, and have to agree. Though I have seen some exceptions.

There was one suburban one, fairly near our former home in Maryland, that seemed especially bad despite being in a middle-class area. After a couple of visits, I decided not to go back.

Safeway and Albertsons

Edit: To clarify, I never go to either of the above. Fry's (Kroger), Walmart, Costco, & Trader Joe's I do go to.

Last edited:
For food items? I avoid any of the "dollar" stores. Other than that, I will and have shopped any other grocery store if they have what we want.

I see HEB mentioned a lot. I quite like HEB ever since we moved to Central Texas back in late 2018. We have four HEB stores within a 10-12 minute drive from our home, depending on the direction we go.

But here is where I have a bit of a rant. These locations carry *most* of the same items, but nearly every one of them has some items missing that one or more of the other of these HEB stores will carry. Some are better stocked in produce, while others are better stocked in bakery. So, every week, I visit at least two of these four stores to get the items we want. /rant

Yeah, DW wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I did the shopping by myself. She gave me the list and I had to hit Costco, Sams, and Walmart to find everything on the list. There was nothing exotic on the list (I hate it that Costco handles virtually NO cereal without added sugar.) I was really surprised but Walmart was where I found most of the "hard to find" stuff (like Shredded Wheat:facepalm:). End of rant.

The title of this thread is asking where we never shop.

Aldi’s-too many packaged foods
Whole Paycheck (none near us and I wouldn’t go anyway)
Trader Joe’s

Where I shop:

Wegman’s is close to my house.
Giant is my go to place but lately their dairy and egg supplies have been low. But their gas points system is pretty good. For awhile we got free gas for one of our vehicles routinely.
Walmart
BJ’s-they have great prices and you can scan on your phone and avoid the lines at checkout. Not crowded like Costco.
We have a local family owned chain called Karns which has an excellent butcher shop and locally sourced meats.

Back
Top Bottom