What has been your act of Kindness Lately

Not really an act of kindness but more of just the right thing to do. Yesterday while walking from my car going into a medical building I saw an older couple struggling. The older gentleman was on oxygen and in a wheel chair. I asked if they needed help and they said yes, so I helped the gentleman out of his wheelchair and into the car and then helped the lady fold up the wheel chair and place it in the back of their vehicle. Then of course the rear door would not close properly so we laid down the back seats until we could get the wheelchair in all of the way. They were very appreciative and thanked me and I just replied it was a privilege to help and that someday I may be in the same situation and hopefully someone will help me.

Living in NYC the opportunities to help out those less fortunate than me are plenty. I tend not to tell people when I do acts of kindness, but maybe this will inspire others.

Last week there was a woman with her two young kids sitting outside a grocery store with a sign asking for money for food. I don't like to hand over cash so I just said "do you like pizza" their faces lit up and said yes. So I said follow me and we walked down the block to a pizzeria and I walked in with them , bought them a large pie with drinks and got them a table. They were extremely grateful and I honestly walked out of walking on air because it felt so good to give back. Made my day.

I just replied it was a privilege to help

I worked with a guy that was going through a really tough time. He would talk about a neighbor that would offer help but he would turn them away. I tried to explain to him that by doing that, he was preventing that person from feeling good about themselves. Allowing someone to help you is an important part of the equation.

This is the best thread I've seen in a long time and extremely inspirational. I am recently retired and looking to use my free time to give back as well. DW has been volunteering a couple of days each week over the last several years at a local food pantry and I can see the rewards it provides her.

Having recently helped my elderly mom navigate Medicare enrollment I learned a LOT about Medicare and all the complexities and choices. I even accompanied her to an appointment that I setup with a SHIP counselor in her county as well and decided I would volunteer in my county (I start training for SHIP certification next month). BTW - Mom's WELL past 65 but had her employer sponsored Advantage plan terminated which enabled her to enroll in traditional w/ supplement (G) and a Part D without underwriting.

I'm also now delivering Meals on Wheels and of course shoveling snow, changing light bulbs and other odds and ends for several elderly folks in my neighborhood. Having retired from the tech industry I'm also becoming the local "help desk" guy. :)

Our neighbor, a single elderly lady with no family has a rough edge in her personality. I have to remember being kind and offering help does not always reap the benefits of a thank you or gratitude. We continue to offer, to take out her garbage and check on her. She has in-home care these days after major surgery. Still lonely. I guess my point is not to expect kindness back when reaching out. Keep reaching out. We don't walk away feeling good about ourselves b/c it doesn't feel appreciated. That's not why we do it. Sometimes there's an angry response to kindness. It's more than feeling good about yourself.

this one isn't mine, it's my wife, who this afternoon found an envelope in the parking lot, stuffed full of cash, and as luck would have it, the owners drivers license. she checked GPS and returned the money only 2 blocks away to a very grateful family. she refused a reward, saying "just pay it forward."

I married a good woman.

While out running errands, I was stopped several cars back at a red light. A young man had walked by, and by his appearance not doing well financially. He was a few cars past mine when I noticed dollar bills tumbling from his pocket. Honked the horn several times to get his attention and pointed towards the sidewalk. He saw his cash and gesticulated thanks. Made me happy.

I take a week or 2 and work on mom's and DS's houses. Got a planned trip in March.

Not lately, but the one that I remember most is buying a tank of gas for a lady who is a hospice nurse and she got emotional... Then I did too (not like me to).

I'm no longer capable, but I used to help folks paint and move. These are two things I personally hate to do. I always figured that if a "deed" wasn't a "pain" or it didn't "cost" anything, I haven't done much. Just my thinking on the subject. Since then, I've helped a couple of people with these two needs by paying for it to be done. YMMV

Timely post by Fritz on this topic... my favorite quote:

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.com/what-a-difference-a-day-makes

"If we live to age 85, we get the privilege of living for 31,046 days. If you retire at age 63, you have 8,035 days left (25% of your life).

For the first 63 years of your life, you were forced by necessity to focus on yourself. 75% of your life has been expended by focusing on school, on your job, on that promotion. By definition, you didn’t have the time freedom to focus on others like you do now that you’re retired.

Today, I’m encouraging you to take one day out of the 8,035 you have left and do something for someone in need. Find a way to give back. Focus on others over self."

Got to talking with a server while dining on my trip to the ER gathering in Sarasota. Nice young woman, probably under 30. Learned she was recently divorced with 3 kids under age 10 and would soon be moving closer to family so they could help her with the kids.

In addition to a generous tip, I put a $50 bill in her hand and wished her well in the years ahead.

I just love reading your kindness to others and it is really what makes the world a better place.

Yes, the kindness isn't meant for anything in return. It is not to be about us, but others, and when we can help someone, it should be felt of giving back that I helped someone to make their life better today.

I have seen in my life given back in any form can be contagious.

I m enjoying this thread and will add my activities.
After retiring, I had more time to give back to my community so I took the classes to volunteer at our local Food Bank. I work weekly as a shopper; directly with people or families there to shop for food. Many are hispanic and most of the volunteers are like me....learning Spanish. I admire many of the families who have come to US to work and improve their situation.
I also volunteer now with a pet rescue - no kill shelter. There are so many pets that need adoption and I enjoy walking the dogs. :)
I recognize my "privilege" of being FI, and want to give back for blessings received.

Math tutoring at local charter school. Philosophy for free. Food delivery to home schools in area. Getting on boards of local non profits after volunteering to vet. Shelter sitting during bad weather at local churches.

Wonderful examples of caring & generosity here! Thank you all for sharing and street, thank you for starting this uplifting thread.

I serve in a volunteer capacity as a driver for seniors who are unable to drive to medical appointments (treatments, doctors, tests), the drugstore, etc. I and 30+ volunteer drivers take turns driving seniors in our community - and there is never a fee. It's a great way to meet interesting people and know you're being useful.

Act of Kindness

I guess it starts with small deeds. I read this post this morning and thought that I should try to do something like this. Went out to run some errands and as I was walking up to the grocery store, this senior lady asked me if I would take her cart back. She had a cane and while I'm sure she could have dealt with her cart, it would have been a chore. As I took the cart from her she says - there, that's your good deed for today.

So there, that's my good deed for today. :)

I discovered that one has to be aware of their intended "victim": one day when I was walking into the grocery store I passed a young mom unloading her cart into her car with an infant in the cart. I stopped to offer help unloading since she had her hands full and told her I'd take the cart back. She immediately became leery and defensive, she didn't want me near her (or her child). It hit me afterward that she was just being protective since she had no idea what this stranger approaching her in the parking lot was up to. I still attempt to help out in the parking lot, but I've learned to stay back and just offer to return the cart after the customer is finished unloading it. This scenario works much better!

It wasn't my latest, but at an airport while waiting for the flight I ran into a man who was having trouble finding his gate. He spoke Portugese and I speak a bit of Spanish; we were able to communicate enough that I was able to identify his flight and get him to his gate on time.

And one that came back around to me.

I was in a McDonald's drive-through lane for breakfast. Had ordered and was waiting for my turn at the pay window. The guy in front of me paid in cash; a bill fumbled between him and the cashier and dropped to the ground. It was windy. I thought, "I can get that bill and return it before it blows away." And I did... but I forgot that I was in drive instead of park. So I retrieved the bill, handed it back, and then heard *bump*, as my rental car tapped his rear bumper (not hard, but the cars did collide and it was my fault). My five-second delay filter was overwhelmed and I said, "Firetruck me!". Well, not actually 'firetruck', but it did start and end with the same letters...

He looked down at the $5 bill in his hand, smiled, said, "Thanks, buddy!" and drove off.

So sometimes a good deed does go unpunished.

Helping where I can

I am also an AARP tax return volunteer and have also certified as a SHIP counselor. It is amazing how many people are not familiar with the things we take for granted every day. Widowed women with no health insurance is one I run into often. I will inform them of the ACA and the subsidies that in most cases would cover the entire premium.

VW

I am another AARP TaxAide volunteer, have been for 17 years. Our state offers a property tax/rent rebate to lower income seniors and disabled persons, & we take care of that application for our clients along with their federal & state income tax returns. Some don't even need to file returns & come in just for the state rebate. They are most appreciative. It is a very satisfying experience 2 days a week.

Great thread, thank you all for the stories.
I have volunteered ever since I retired early 20 years ago. My first experience was with Meals on Wheels, which I volunteered with to balance them serving my Mom in another state. I've been doing MOW ever since, together with my DW once she retired a few years later. It is a great opportunity to help others, and since we have the same route each week, we get to know our 15 clients well, it is mutually rewarding!
I am also a long time Red Cross volunteer, and recommend them to anyone interested in meaningful volunteer activity. They have great free training, and a very supportive network of volunteer managers. You can volunteer on a regular basis, or just when you want to. I transport blood to hospitals, about a 6 hour shift once a week. I am also a Red Cross Disaster Action Team member; we respond to any disaster that displaces a person or family from their home. I've assisted at over 250 small scale disasters, mostly house and apartment fires. The Red Cross will train you, and it is very gratifying to be able to really help someone in need. These volunteer activities have really enriched my retirement years.

A few minutes ago while taking trash out a guy shows up out of nowhere, needed a ride. I thought about giving him one but I really wasn’t sure so got him an Uber across town instead.

a week or so ago I tried helping out one my adult child’s friends who is on drugs. Got him some food and gas, but mainly trying to coax him towards cleaning up / recovering. Had sympathy for him as his dad passed away when he was young. He says he now has a job lined up. I guess we shall see.

I volunteer as an admin for a FaceBook group answering questions about Social Security.
I was sitting next to someone a few months ago and she mentioned that her partner died 10 years ago (before same sex marriage was possible) and she was now working part time to make ends meet while she waited to turn 70 and claim her SS. She did not know that she was eligible for the Social Security surviving spouse benefit from her late partner. So, I informed her of her benefits.
She contacted me last night to say that it had been approved for the surviving spouse benefit and the total including the lump sum back pay will be an extra $27,000 until she turns 70. That means she can quit her PT job and completely retire.

I'm also encouraging a man who is homeless and has come to our church a lot. Hopefully he will have housing soon and then I will work with him to let church members furnish it for him and get him on the road to more stability.

We dropped off 500 lbs of dog food to go to a dog rescue in Agua Prieta MX. I say we but Ms G does most of the heavy lifting for this rescue, except this time. wink wink

A few minutes ago while taking trash out a guy shows up out of nowhere, needed a ride.

Brings up one that I embarrassed myself....
We live out in the country, Our road has a dozen houses in its mile length.
One rainy morning I'm in the garage and I look up to see a guy walking down the road carrying a plastic grocery bag with what looked like soda bottles in it. He looked at me, I waved, I get back a toothless smile as he keeps plugging away down the road. I wondered where the hell this crackhead is coming from, there's no stores in that direction for MILES....About 20 minutes later, he comes back, still carrying the bag... and it hits me...I felt like a piece of crap. I holler at him asking if he needed a ride... He had run out of gas about 3 miles away, and had walked to get gas at the store a mile passed our house so he could get to work. I felt an inch tall.....

Back
Top Bottom