What has been your act of Kindness Lately

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I believe in being a Samaritan, giving and helping others is what makes for a more fulfilled life. I try to work on it all the time to give back to other not as fortunate not in just monetary but helping one another in some way or another n their lives.

It's not to get something in return but a pay forward approach in hoping our shared time generates others to do the same for others.

So, if you have any act of kindness and helping to give back to helping others or just one, please tell us your story of kindness.

I will start. A few days ago, a guy called me to see if I would come move a few things for him in his yard. He is younger than I am and is not great health. So today I will go help him. This has not been the first time he has asked for help, and I feel it an honor to help him. He lives in a house (4 rooms) that most here woudn't store a lawn mower in it.

I don't/won't go out of my way to help folks, except for maybe my neighbors, DD and extended family. Example, I've probably given one of my less fortunate neighbors at least 10k worth of "stuff" since I've known him. In my younger days, I would stop to help someone on the side of the road with car trouble. Not so much anymore. No matter how good looking she is.

Last edited:
My method of helping others is as a volunteer with our local fire department. Both DW and I are members. Other than that I usually help neighbors if they ask or see something I can do to help. Simple things like blowing leaves away from their garage when I'm doing mine.

I'm an AARP tax return volunteer (NOT a CPA) but trained in the software. So I study the 4012 and input data into a program for free tax returns. Clients are thrilled b/c H & R Block charges anywhere from $200-400 for a simple tax return.
A client came in and was loud and very political. Not something we're used to and I was neutral and tried to keep on the tax return subject. In the conversation, he said he did not have Medicare. We're not trained in SHIP or Medicare assistance. But he was well past 65, I think 66+ some months. Did not know how to use the computer, never did. I connected him with a SHIP volunteer. I thought how do you miss out on signing up for Medicare?

I was at CVS last Friday, second in line at the checkout. An older, somewhat frail gentleman, who was using the shopping cart as a walker was in front of me. When his purchases were rung up and bagged, he asked a young man behind the counter if he was an employee and if so, would he help him carry his packages out to his truck. The young man just looked at him and stared at him and then walked away. I couldn't believe it. I immediately put my things down and offered to help. I gathered his packages and walked slowly with him toward the door. He left the cart at the door and grabbed his walker which he had parked at the door on the way in. We walked slowly out to his truck. I put his packages on the passenger's seat in the truck, folded up his walker and put it behind his seat and helped him get in the truck. He assured me he was good to go and only lived a mile away. He thanked me profusely. We talked about how disappointed we both were that the young man wouldn't lend a helping hand. We shook hands and he was on his way.

BTW, I'm glad to see positive posts like this on here to balance out all the negativity in the media every day.

Last edited:
Great topic Street!

DW and I volunteer at the Community Market. We have a large immigrant population and sometimes we are the only ones there speaking English (so, we are trying to learn Spanish). Yesterday, I 'graduated' to driver, where we go around to the grocery stores and get their nearly expired food. It's good to see that food going to use.

I 'work' at the local ski area a couple days per week in the 'Adaptive' program. I get to take disabled people skiing. Blind, paralyzed, autistic, CP, etc. It is the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

DW and I still like to w*rk. Being FIREd, we pick what we want to do and how much time we give. For us, ain't nothing better.

That's great sparky, keep working on the Spanish. When you get it down reasonably well, it is hard to describe the gratitude people feel that you made an effort and met them halfway.
The other day I spoke Spanish with an older gentleman in the discount grocer and that was his repsonse. He recalled coming to the area and not being able to get work and feeling all that more isolated. He and the Spanish speaking staff were pleased and surprised this gringo pelirojo could be understood.
I learned in high school 47 years ago and never gave it up. It opened up my world.
I worked in a gas station and tire store in high school, and had a large clientele who said they would only stop when they saw I was working that evening. When I quit that job I got ambushed all over town and asked what I was up to and why I left.
Nice thread, street.

I'm an AARP tax return volunteer (NOT a CPA) but trained in the software. So I study the 4012 and input data into a program for free tax returns. Clients are thrilled b/c H & R Block charges anywhere from $200-400 for a simple tax return.
A client came in and was loud and very political. Not something we're used to and I was neutral and tried to keep on the tax return subject. In the conversation, he said he did not have Medicare. We're not trained in SHIP or Medicare assistance. But he was well past 65, I think 66+ some months. Did not know how to use the computer, never did. I connected him with a SHIP volunteer. I thought how do you miss out on signing up for Medicare?

I am also an AARP tax return volunteer and have also certified as a SHIP counselor. It is amazing how many people are not familiar with the things we take for granted every day. Widowed women with no health insurance is one I run into often. I will inform them of the ACA and the subsidies that in most cases would cover the entire premium.

VW

I guess it starts with small deeds. I read this post this morning and thought that I should try to do something like this. Went out to run some errands and as I was walking up to the grocery store, this senior lady asked me if I would take her cart back. She had a cane and while I'm sure she could have dealt with her cart, it would have been a chore. As I took the cart from her she says - there, that's your good deed for today.

So there, that's my good deed for today. :)

So, nice to see the generosity you people are doing!! Without people like you and the sharing of your time does make a huge difference in the lives you help. Thanks for your kindness!!

I try to do at least one thing each week for giving back in one way or anothah. Earlier this week I sent a check off to a friend in a different small town to buy a ticket for a gentleman to attend a buffalo feed that community has for their civic community. The guy that was given the ticket was so happy and gracious to be able to go have this meal. He is a man that wouldn't have the extra money to attend, and he has given back to the area in many ways other than monetarily.

Again, this isn't about the giver to get a pat on the back thread but hope to inspire others to spread their act of kindness.

Thanks for sharing your stories of work, time and money to give to others.

Since my back injury, I have had to cut back on my activities.
However, I have been making donations to a number of places.
I made donations to the Maui Food Bank and to pay for pilot's gas for their relief flights.
I am also supporting my religious institution with generous gifts.

Physically helping others is getting more difficult for me, but we do try to help financially. Our church has a daycare that we provide a scholarship for to help single parents who struggle to afford the cost. The recipient doesn’t know who provides the money, but they always express their gratitude through the daycare director.

I have always helped people in need and they just seem to appear in my life. Some of the biggest ones were taking care of the neighbor girl every day for a hour in the morning before the head start bus picked her up so her single mom could go to school. I did this for 3 years.

I have also helped 4 friends stay in their house for a few years and have driven a hour each way weekly to visit a friend with a as Alzheimer’s in a home and I was her guardian after her husband died. I helped my ex husband’s ex wife when she was dying even though she had never been nice to me and found her dog a good home.

I have taken in dogs when their owners have died. My last friend that required a lot of time consuming help died a year ago and I decided that now is my time to focus on myself.

Yesterday a women’s domestic violence shelter was asking for donations and I posted it on facebook, texted my friends and gathered 4 bags from my closets and dropped it off. I offered to drop off any of my friend’s items if they didn’t have time.

Last edited:
Great thread!
I try to do something kind as often as I can, even if it is a simple curtesy such as holding a door open for someone(yea, that seems a no brainer, but so many people don't).

Neighbor kids left their gate open and their dog escaped, I took him back and closed their gate.

I have worked in the local food pantry.

Not sure I'd qualify this as it's helping family. Deposited check for tuition for one of my daughter's four kids. She and her husband have been putting the older four in very expensive private schools in DC and otherwise would have had to have the youngest in public. I just couldn't wrap my head around that; nothing wrong with the public schools in that area but to have one of the four in a clearly different class of education? So I'm taking care of his, he has my first name as his middle so there's that :LOL:.

Most of what I do outside of dollar donations is helping neighbors. Neighbors who are incredibly handy man/women challenged! I try to stay around because wife has dementia but yesterday changed toilet valve next door. Have done several, a couple of whole toilets, as well as electrical repairs, sweating new outside spigots that had split from freezing. That sort of thing. I enjoy it, gives me something to do. Used to build furniture but nothing left I or my kids need so I look elsewhere to apply my tools.

After reading H2ODude;s post,
I remembered I paid $48K for my granddaughter;s accelerated Nursing School.
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child

Helped a buddy open a rollover IRA at Fidelity and he rolled an old 401k plan over and invested into MGK. Now he is working on rolling over an IRA from Edward Jones...and I think I convinced his bro to do the same thing.

These guys are a little behind, but I am gonna help them catchup

I make burial flag display cases for veterans who pass away - for relatives and friends. Thinking about contacting the local VFW to offer for all local veterans, but that may be a little too much work to the point where I would never get them done.
Also plow neighborhood driveway entrances and mailbox approaches.

Have found unique ways to serve others. It is a blessing to be that person for someone in need. I praise the Lord when He provides those opportunities. I try not to miss them.

Last week, I was walking downtown and a man approached me and asked if I could help him. He said he had an interview and needed to get cleaned up and look presentable. He was living in a homeless shelter and there was limited resources.

I asked him to go with me inside a local grocer and we shopped for deodorant shampoo, soap, clothes soap etc. I probably spent $25. He said that he would pay me back, but I told him to get the job he was applying for and that would be enough for me. I wished him good luck .

Last edited:
Very heartwarming stories from all of you as I read through them. The help that is needed by people is greater than what we can do, but every little thing really does make a difference for these people. Your stories of kindness could make a man cry. Thank You All.

I remember people helping my mom/dad with tasks and things that they needed and was hundreds of miles away. I appreciated every little thing and felt very blessed that they had people that cared.

We all need to take care of each other. My wife and so do I volunteer for many different events through the year. My wife donates 2 day each week at a hospital, she gives back a lot and it is something she enjoys.

Not really an act of kindness, but yesterday as I walked by an impoverished looking lad who was holding a "Going out of Business" sign in front of a clothing store, He said "Good Morning". I said "Good morning - How are you?" He said "I'm blessed". I said "So am I - have a great day". He said "Thank You." That little conversation made my day. Each day it's good to get reminders that we are truly blessed.

Hum... In daily life, I make an effort to say "good morning" or "hello" and smile to people as I pass on the sidewalk. It doesn't come naturally but I want to do my little part to keep St Pete friendly. I'm a little hardened to the homeless around since I see them everyday and don't give them anything but do say hi or nod and acknowledge them. I'll also help "little old ladies" get items at the supermarket, sometimes I'll offer without them asking if I see them struggling and they are always grateful. I'd help others but I'm not that tall so I stick with the "little old ladies." Not sure that these are kindness or just being a half-way decent person. Maybe I'll be inspired to step it up by this thread.. I could do better. I have a lot to be grateful for and should do more to share the wealth.

Last week, I was walking downtown and a man approached me and asked if I could help him. He said he had an interview and needed to get cleaned up and look presentable. He was living in a homeless shelter and there was limited resources.

I asked him to go with me inside a local grocer and we shopped for deodorant shampoo, soap, clothes soap etc. I probably spent $25. He said that he would pay me back, but I told him to get the job he was applying for and that would be enough for me. I wished him good luck .

Outstanding!!

Where I live, I don't see the homeless so very naive of issue, but it would be not easy for me to see them and not wanting to help. I also know that they need to help themselves but there is that one chance it might make the difference if help was offered.

That is a great act of kindness and Thank You.

I was brought up to help anyone if possible. You get repaid in turn. I can say It bothers me now that I can't. I have turned around at the next exit to go back and change a tire. Once we stopped and it was 3 generations traveling to FL with a flat. Only had a mini spare, so had them follow us to a tire shop, then piled them in and we went to lunch while they worked on the car.
I got repaid some yesterday.... I'm at Home Depot, on crutches moving stuff from my cart to the truck, 5 2X4s and a 5 gallon of paint... I had one 2X4 in and this guy ( NO NO NO... Not store personal) walks up and says "let me get that" and processed to load everything in my truck, and takes the cart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom