What is the closest to death you have come?

About 2 seconds and 30 yards but then I changed my mind.

2Cor521

Canoeing on the Whitewater river with big group. One party lost the canoe in a log jam. Me and a bud waded out to see if we could recover the canoe. He went down. When I pulled him to his feet I went down. I was swept into the log jam. I was pinned down. I could see the light/sky under about 4 feet of water. There was our canoe, bent in half and another canoe down there with me. I managed to pull myself up on the log and was hugging it, current against my back. I shimmed up far enough to get my head out of the water and just hung on. I waited a couple of minutes for my strength to return. The next decision was if I let go over the top of the log, would the back wash current hold me in place. Like at the bottom of a dam. I finally got enough nerve to rotate over the top of the log, let go and swam for it straight down stream.

We came back with a chain saw and cut the log(from down stream). The other canoe was in perfect condition. Our group had to pay for the bent canoe. The rental place would not take the other undamaged canoe because it had a license on it. They did contact the owner and he said thanks.

And then there was that time at band camp............

Me: after an absolutely unremarkable pregnancy, in the final stages of labor I suffered a total placenta abruption. This means that the placenta separated from the uterine wall before the baby is born, rather than after, putting the baby's life in serious jeopardy and in my case, nearly bleeding out. Very quick action on the part of my OB/GYN & a trauma team saved us both..no more children though.

DH: survived a sudden cardiac arrest thanks to by-standers who performed CPR for 12 minutes before EMTs arrived. Now has an implantable defibrillator in his chest...and a new outlook on life!

Back
Top Bottom