What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Another one - This was at a Wegmans in Niagara Falls, NY.

I asked a sales clerk walking by...

Me: "Can you tell me where XYZ is?"
Store: "You see those signs up there? (pointing at signs hanging from the ceiling nearby.) You should be able to find XYZ on one of those signs.

Sometimes, I just can't stand people...

Not exactly a free concert at that point, though, is it?

Like OTA TV (with commercials), it depends on what you mean by "free." You pay with cash or you pay by being subjected to commercials which the sponsor hopes will be profitable.

Or one of those "free" meals where you are subjected to an annuity salesperson's pitches.

And don't get me started on all the pop up ads on Internet sites.

Unless the performer and the venue are providing their services gratis, one way or the other, someones gonna pay! :(

I do agree with you that a TV monitor running ads in close proximity to the performer does seem a bit over the top. What ever happened to just having some printed ads in the program?

Last edited:

Store: "You see those signs up there? (pointing at signs hanging from the ceiling nearby.) You should be able to find XYZ on one of those signs.

Wow, not a typical response from a Wegmans employee. Both of my DD’s worked at our local Wegmans, and customer service was/is the primary duty. I would expect anyone in a Wegmans shirt to do better.

Wow, not a typical response from a Wegmans employee. Both of my DD’s worked at our local Wegmans, and customer service was/is the primary duty. I would expect anyone in a Wegmans shirt to do better.

That is surprising. When I ask anyone at my local Kroger, they immediately tell me the aisle number the item is in and often drop what they're doing to go there with me just to be sure.

Are you 100% sure it was a clerk? I often get asked random questions by customers when shopping, as if they think everyone must work there. Just today... "Is this tea Decaf?"

Are you 100% sure it was a clerk? I often get asked random questions by customers when shopping, as if they think everyone must work there. Just today... "Is this tea Decaf?"

It may have also been a third party contractor filling the shelves. I’ve never encountered a Wegmans employee that was not helpful

We still have free concert in Houston provided by the Symphony and others... no advertising except maybe a handout...

We still have free concert in Houston provided by the Symphony and others... no advertising except maybe a handout...

Where I live, there are at least 50 (probably more) free outdoor concerts every summer within 15 miles, most far less. All are paid for by the local town/city or business groups. There is no cost, and no obvious advertising near the stage. Most have local vendors or food trucks available for food and drink. Some restrict coolers and out side beverages, some don't.

These are local bands, nothing exotic, but bands we have heard many times and like. We always do buy something from the vendors, so not totally free to us, but you don't have to.

It is kind of nice living in middle America.:dance:

LOL, good point! No, she was definitely a worker there. She looked very young though - so she could have been a part-time summer help or something. She tried to help, but she said she couldn't remember, and that was her suggestion at the end. :facepalm: I should have explained the whole story, but still, I was a bit stunned.

I used to live in California and Safeway there had some kind of policy - They HAD to take you to whatever the item you're looking for. A friend of mine worked in one of them, and he said they bring in spies to check the employees as well. Anyway, sometimes, I had to tell them, "Just tell me the isle number. I want to shop for other things first."

Where I live, there are at least 50 (probably more) free outdoor concerts every summer within 15 miles, most far less. All are paid for by the local town/city or business groups. There is no cost, and no obvious advertising near the stage. Most have local vendors or food trucks available for food and drink. Some restrict coolers and out side beverages, some don't.

These are local bands, nothing exotic, but bands we have heard many times and like. We always do buy something from the vendors, so not totally free to us, but you don't have to.

It is kind of nice living in middle America.:dance:

We had are first concerts in the park in over a year this past Summer.Like yours, local bands for the most part, many specialize in famous groups and singers that are no more, and have names like Ventura Highway and Cherry Cherry. You can easily guess whose songs they emphasis. :D

There is a huge amount of talent out there. Enjoy it.

One time I mae the mistake or wearing black slacks and a red polo shirt while shopping at Target.... :facepalm:

One time I mae the mistake or wearing black slacks and a red polo shirt while shopping at Target.... :facepalm:

:LOL: This has happened to me as well, at various stores. My favorite time was when a woman can up to me and started vocalizing a complaint that made it clear she thought I worked at the store. My smiling at her as she complained (I could not help it, she did look attractive when mad :)) made her madder to the point where she got loud and several other shoppers came over to see what was going on. Eventually she slowed down enough so that I could say, with a smile "Ms, I am sorry, but I l believe you have mistaken me for someone who works here." She just got this look on her face and walked off. One of the other shoppers called out "you should apologize to him!", but she kept walking.

In truth, I found the situation more humorous than insulting. And... if I had not been married, I probably could have gotten 2 phone numbers on that visit. One from another shopper who talked to me afterwards, and was so impressed at how I handled it she was giving me interesting hints. The other from the woman who yelled at me - when I left the store and go to my car she came over from her car embarrassed and apologizing, and soon the conversation turned to her suggesting she needed to make up for it, maybe a "date", which I politely declined (but did appreciate :)).

I was approached by a lady in a grocery store who rudely asked me about a certain &$^%$!! item. I told her politely that I did not work there. She replied "You look like somebody who does." Her tone clearly indicated it was an insult. Later I had what the French call L'esprit de l'escalier - thinking of the perfect reply too late.

Last edited:
:LOL: This has happened to me as well, at various stores. My favorite time was when a woman can up to me and started vocalizing a complaint that made it clear she thought I worked at the store. My smiling at her as she complained (I could not help it, she did look attractive when mad :)) made her madder to the point where she got loud and several other shoppers came over to see what was going on. Eventually she slowed down enough so that I could say, with a smile "Ms, I am sorry, but I l believe you have mistaken me for someone who works here." She just got this look on her face and walked off. One of the other shoppers called out "you should apologize to him!", but she kept walking.

In truth, I found the situation more humorous than insulting. And... if I had not been married, I probably could have gotten 2 phone numbers on that visit. One from another shopper who talked to me afterwards, and was so impressed at how I handled it she was giving me interesting hints. The other from the woman who yelled at me - when I left the store and go to my car she came over from her car embarrassed and apologizing, and soon the conversation turned to her suggesting she needed to make up for it, maybe a "date", which I politely declined (but did appreciate :)).
Wow, this is a great pickup technique. I'm gonna quit bar hopping and buy a red shirt to patrol Target.

Wow, this is a great pickup technique. I'm gonna quit bar hopping and buy a red shirt to patrol Target.
Take along a shill to berate you in front of prospective dates, while you calmly smile.

Fastfood rant..They say they want more money...I say earn it...do your job...stop serving sloppy crappy food....maybe learn to cook and GET THE ORDER RIGHT!!!!

And here I was spending a decade slamming my grocery shopping cart into the cart of an attractive female, hoping for a smile in return. :facepalm:

And here I was spending a decade slamming my grocery shopping cart into the cart of an attractive female, hoping for a smile in return. :facepalm:

I worked with a guy who actually did meet his future wife in the grocery store. It started when he asked her if "this is the right soap to go into that big white thing in the basement with the hole in the top".

That's not a line I would have used but it worked for him. Must be the delivery.

Don't slam it into Fonzie's cart!

Fastfood rant..They say they want more money...I say earn it...do your job...stop serving sloppy crappy food....maybe learn to cook and GET THE ORDER RIGHT!!!!

A friend of mine told me that she ordered a burger at a McDonald drive-through, and the order took longer than usual. And she found there was no burger in the burger! She said she already got on a freeway by the time she started eating the burger, so she didn't go back.

I worked with a guy who actually did meet his future wife in the grocery store. It started when he asked her if "this is the right soap to go into that big white thing in the basement with the hole in the top".

That's not a line I would have used but it worked for him. Must be the delivery.

:LOL: That's hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom