What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Now Irishgirlyc58, that sounds awful! I can't think of any easy fix other than getting together with other homeowners and protesting to the city council. If I lived there, the "no bags" restriction is where I'd lose my temper.

Ha! This would never pass in my town. It’s a State Senate bill so applies to all single family houses in the state. Doesn’t apply to apartments though.
Clearly written by people who don’t take out their own garbage.
Apparently there are fines for non compliance but it’s unclear who or how they would levy that fine.

The private sanitation service most of us in this area used for garbage pick-up declared bankruptcy and ceased operation on Monday. 5,000 customers suddenly had to find some other means to dispose of their trash.

I've been following the problems they've been having, expected the end was near, and signed up for service with another company last Thursday This allowed me to avoid the phone scramble that began Monday as abandoned customers tried find a new service.

Literally and figuratively, it's a stinking mess.

Now to figure out what to do with the two 96 gallon wheeled bins (10,000 in total) the company orphaned when they shut down. Any ideas?

Now to figure out what to do with the two 96 gallon wheeled bins (10,000 in total) the company orphaned when they shut down. Any ideas?

You can use one to ferment your own brew - trash can gin. The other one you can lay on its side and use to trap critters.

Our garbage company is switching to wheeled garbage carts so they can use automated trucks instead of the drivers having to lift them in. Sounds good, our recycling bin has been that way for years.

However, I have two garbage cans. We use one for the house and miscellaneous garbage, and a second can I keep in the garage for my shop garbage. We rarely fill up our normal garbage can, so when the garage can gets full I put it out INSTEAD of our normal can. Basically, I alternate which can goes out to the road, but never put out more than one can at a time.

So I asked the garbage company if I could get a second wheeled cart to use in the garage like this. They sent me a direct "NO" but they could upgrade me to a larger can. Obviously that's not what I wanted. We don't fill up our normal can, I don't need a bigger one. I need two cans in different locations. It's just not convenient to take garbage from the garage out to the house garbage can as I'm working.

So I contacted them again, clarifying I don't want to put more garbage out, I just want a second cart I can alternate as needed. I even offered to BUY the extra cart if they just let me know how much it was. Again, they said NO, but they could give me a second cart for an additional $17 per month. Are you kidding me? No way am I paying a monthly fee just to have a second can.

I was just trying to be consistent and make things easy on the drivers. I guess the garbage gods feel their plastic carts are some kind of prized possession. So I'll just put out my normal garage garbage can as needed and make the driver lift it manually.

Sheesh, talk about inflexibility.

The wheeled big garbage can is what our city has been using for decades now. When it breaks or cracks, which happens often because of the way the automated truck picks it up with gigantic tongs, we just call the city and they bring a new one. Free of charge, or rather it's part of the garbage collection fee.

Perhaps that's why they have a policy of one can per household that cannot be deviated from. They don't know how to bill you for an extra can, because there's no place in the computer data entry screen to enter that. You are not dealing with an individual shop owner who can cut deals.

By the way, I felt it's a waste for them to throw away a large can when the lid hinge broke. So, I fixed it up for them, and it was even stronger than the original design.

Last edited:
The private sanitation service most of us in this area used for garbage pick-up declared bankruptcy and ceased operation on Monday. 5,000 customers suddenly had to find some other means to dispose of their trash.

I've been following the problems they've been having, expected the end was near, and signed up for service with another company last Thursday This allowed me to avoid the phone scramble that began Monday as abandoned customers tried find a new service.

Literally and figuratively, it's a stinking mess.

Send one to mountainsoft :dance:

Hey, I'm worse off than all you folks complaining about your garbage pickup; the bins you can/can't use; rules about what can/can't go in said bins. At least you all have garbage pickup!! :D :LOL:

At 3:00 this afternoon I bagged up all the usual trash in the house and put it by the front door in preparation for throwing it in the wheelie bin and taking it to the end of the driveway. (Garbage is picked up every Friday, and recycling is picked up every other Friday - one wheelie bin for each).

At 3:01 my phone rang. It was my waste management company leaving an automated message for all customers in my area: they are unable to service our route tomorrow, and there will be a delay. This has happened occasionally before - usually a delay of one day. I understand these things happen; just roll with the flow.

BUT NO - this time they are delayed for one week - they cannot service our route until next Friday, 8/12!! :eek::eek::eek:

No explanation was given; profuse apologies were relayed in the message, and "thank you for your patience and understanding" etc. was included. I will say this - the poor guy who recorded the message sounded absolutely knackered, and I suspect that he is dealing with short staffing/sick employees etc. as so many places are right now. I could hear the exhaustion in his voice. Sadly I'm sure he will be hearing from lots of irate customers to boot.

I live in an unincorporated part of the town (no city taxes, yea!) but this means my neighbors and I all contract with a private waste management company for trash pickup. This has worked perfectly well for the 23 years I have lived in this house; no real complaints. The company always leaves messages about any holiday delays, etc. Several years ago I did have my wheelie bin stolen - apparently this is quite common. People steal the bins and use the service without paying for it. :mad::mad::mad:

They delivered a brand new bin a couple of days later at no charge.

Recycling is provided by the county and that will be picked up as normal tomorrow.

Back to today: August in NC. Daily heat indexes of around 103-105. I have a cat. Hence, my trash contains plenty of kitty litter unmentionables. Not to mention the usual food garbage, etc. All of which will now sit out in the wheelie bin (double bagged) for the next seven days.

So all you guys who will have trash pickup this week, consider yourselves lucky! :D:D

On the plus side:

1. I hadn't yet rolled the bin down the driveway - all 60 feet of it. :LOL:

2. I live alone, so my bin is not even half full, let alone overflowing like my neighbor's (family of five).

3. I used to have four cats. Now I have one. Do the kitty litter "math." :blink:

Obviously #3 is not really a plus :)frown:), other than in the "scale" of the waste issue this week.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled peeves.

I think I'll go move the wheelie bin a little further downwind from the house. :facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
I just saw REWahoo's post.

I will concede first place to him and graciously claim second place for myself in the Great Trash Pickup Peeves.

At least my delay is only temporary.

Last edited:

You can use one to ferment your own brew - trash can gin. The other one you can lay on its side and use to trap critters.

I was going to suggest using a saw to cut them up into small pieces and throwing them out a bit at a time but frankly I like MichaelB's suggestion better. I bet you do too.

Why don't one of you cancel the trash service and just use the other's wheeled garbage can?

Where we used to live, we did this with a close neighbor for over a decade. Neither of us generated enough trash to require two accounts. It worked very well, and Frank is already doing most of what is required.

In my city, you are required to have garbage service, it is part of your water/sewer/garbage bill. With my drug fueled neighbors, always broke, pawn shop regulars, I'm glad it is that way. Otherwise they would be using mine. Thank goodness, the worst one is gone including all the hanger on-ers. The mother died of old age and the son found a little to much Fentanyl.

Ha! This would never pass in my town. It’s a State Senate bill so applies to all single family houses in the state. Doesn’t apply to apartments though.
Clearly written by people who don’t take out their own garbage.
Apparently there are fines for non compliance but it’s unclear who or how they would levy that fine.

Fines that like are added to our property tax bill.

Why don't one of you cancel the trash service and just use the other's wheeled garbage can?

Where we used to live, we did this with a close neighbor for over a decade. Neither of us generated enough trash to require two accounts. It worked very well, and Frank is already doing most of what is required.
In my city, you are required to have garbage service, it is part of your water/sewer/garbage bill.
That's the way it is here, too. Trash service cannot be cancelled unless you are moving and having trash, sewer, water, property tax, and so on changed to somebody else's name and responsibility.

We're completely happy with things the way they are. We much prefer having the trash collected two days each week, instead of just one. :) :dance:

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, zaqxsw! I have found that one of the great privileges of retirement, is being able to nap a lot. Then when I do that, sometimes I miss a response to one of my posts.

That's the way it is here, too. Trash service cannot be cancelled unless you are moving and having trash, sewer, water, property tax, and so on changed to somebody else's name and responsibility.

We're completely happy with things the way they are. We much prefer having the trash collected two days each week, instead of just one. :) :dance:

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, zaqxsw! I have found that one of the great privileges of retirement, is being able to nap a lot. Then when I do that, sometimes I miss a response to one of my posts.

You don't set your post response alarm? :facepalm:

Is this the first time a thread here has turned to trash?

:D

Outside noise makers who try to push limits on the early am time frames.
7am is the "law", many folks up and about 6-630 with lawn mowers, leaf blowers, etc.
I get wanting to get it done before the heat of the day, but 7 am is really early enough!!

Yes, twice a week here in Fl. That's a good thing!
The not so good neighbor I mentioned up thread, didn't pay their water bill. I saw them make regular trips to another neighbor, with a cart from the local Sam's club, filed with 5 gallon water jugs and coolers to fill with water and bring hope for drinking and flushing the toilet. As I recall they did keep picking up the garbage. There were several times they did not have electricity for several days. Poor money management since the mother, son, and grandson were all on some type of government check.

8 point print, I got a letter from BCBS the other day and it was in 8 point print, had 1/2 a page with nothing on it, but they had to use small print.

PS, I could not get 8 point print in this format, even copied and pasted from Word, but it grew!

Moderator Edit

Our Community Rules say "The standard font size is 2."

Last edited by a moderator:
We are allowed to purchase trash pickup from whatever company we wish, however, we are all obligated to use the same municipality chosen recycler. Nobody in our plan uses their trash cans; they would all be blown away by the end of the day. It would certainly an obstacle course on most days. Most folks put their items to the curb in the morning before the various trash men make their rounds during the week, otherwise the animals would get into them, before their picked up at 930am. Once in a while, the neighborhood is thrown for a loop when the recycler makes the rounds at 430am, nothing has been put out, as it would have blown all over the neighborhood. They then have to make a second trip to pick up the 95% that didn't have it out at odarkthirty o'clock.

Kids are getting old, my son got a job with insurance so dropped him of the policy a year ago, one phone call and a paper showing the date his insurance started and done. My daughter now started a job with insurance, I made a phone to drop her and sent a picture of her card. Got no response. Made 4 more calls, on two of them I was assured this was done. Then I get a letter, "we need your signature". So, sent it back with a signature, now I wait again, meanwhile I have another bill with her on the policy, so I will now have paid her premium for 4 months, and then they will have to send me a check to reimburse me.

Kids are getting old, my son got a job with insurance so dropped him of the policy a year ago, one phone call and a paper showing the date his insurance started and done. My daughter now started a job with insurance, I made a phone to drop her and sent a picture of her card. Got no response. Made 4 more calls, on two of them I was assured this was done. Then I get a letter, "we need your signature". So, sent it back with a signature, now I wait again, meanwhile I have another bill with her on the policy, so I will now have paid her premium for 4 months, and then they will have to send me a check to reimburse me.

Adding to the story above. I received a letter from BCBS today with a check to reimburse me for the over pay, for dropping my daughter. Only problem is it is not right, they cancelled as of 7-24-22 and it should have been 6-1-22. I was assured 2 and very possibly 3 times her new insurance card I emailed them was in the file with the starting date. This is getting ridiculous. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I paid a medical bill for my wife in person in cash. The bill was $118.99, I gave her $119.00 and said keep the penny. She ask, "do you want me to add it to the account?" I said no, don't mess up the billing with that. So I thought it was over. Nope, today, I get a check for $0.01.

Back
Top Bottom