What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Relocated....its the most travel I've done in a while:

This is not a 'Peeve' per se, (more of a quizzical observation), but I didn't know where else to put it, and it certainly doesn't merit its own thread:

We don't watch TV, (although we do watch movies, etc, on our TV), but we often see brief vids online, (most often various politicians), with people 'signing' in the background.

I don't sign, and currently don't know anyone who does, but I have in days gone by had some passing exposure to it. The conversations I witnessed seemed to be straightforward hand signals, but nowadays the background 'signers' appear to be participating in inebriated games of charades, complete with overacted facial (or should it be 'farcical') expressions.

Since Close Captioning is readily available, it just makes me wonder if the pols are using the clowns to distract, rather than inform, the audience.

Reactions: W2R
Today's pet peeve is reading a very interesting thread and seeing the greyed out "CLOSED" button. My heart sinks.

But then the peeve is erased when I go to the bottom of the thread and instead of Porky, I see it is just administrative and procedural, and there's the link to the new thread. Long live our peeves! :dance:

Regarding the signers in the background: I kept meaning to comment about it, but have been forgetting to. I find them more entertaining than the speaker. They only appear when a government person is speaking, apparently. I imagine some of them have cult followings in some corner of the internet. And who knows what they're really saying, eh? ha ha! The facial expressions are so overly dramatic and bizarre, but I never see or hear anyone in the 'media' ever mention them. The elephant in the room going unmentioned, as usual. At taxpayer expense, no doubt. Well, at least it's entertaining.

To those of you peeved by facial expressions used with ASL:

In American Sign Language, facial expressions are an important part of communication.

The facial expressions you use while doing a sign will affect the meaning of that sign.

For example, if you sign the word "quiet," and add an exaggerated or intense facial expression, you are telling your audience to be "very quiet."

This principle also works when making "interesting" into "very interesting," or "funny" into "very funny."

Facial expressions are an example of a set of behaviors called "non-manual markers." Non-manual markers include facial expressions, head tilt, head nod, head shake, shoulder raising, mouth morphemes, and other non-signed signals that influence the meaning of your signs.

Facial Expressions in American Sign Language (ASL)

I stand corrected (by self) about the media not mentioning signing. SNL (Saturday Night Live) has done a few skits about signing. Years ago. I stopped watching SNL when it became unfunny, so I never saw those skits.

I stopped watching SNL when it became unfunny.

Now that's worthy of a peeve! DW and I used to like watching SNL, then we started watching just the opening and Weekend Update, and now we just read about one or two funny bits on the internet on Sunday morning.

I long for the days from the '70s when it was genuinely funny and I would watch it with a certain young lady after a date. Well, usually we'd miss about half of it. :D

I get slightly peeved at people in the neighborhood who light fireworks when I am trying to sleep. This year it went on until 12:30am, last year 2am.

Are there any neighborhoods where people don't light fireworks late, or not at all? I wonder what it must be like to live there.

I get slightly peeved at people in the neighborhood who light fireworks when I am trying to sleep. This year it went on until 12:30am, last year 2am.

Are there any neighborhoods where people don't light fireworks late, or not at all? I wonder what it must be like to live there.

Our neighborhood is actually pretty good in that regard. Plus, add to that the reliably bad weather on New Years Eve here (I honestly don't remember the last time we had half-way decent weather for Dec 31 and I have lived here for 30+ years...). Case in point, last night: steady rain - no fieworks to speak of!

I think the next dog or cat we get I'll recommend the name Peeve. It also seems like a great name for a grouchy cartoon character, but I'm no cartoonist.

It's too early in the year for me to have any real peeves to complain about, but give me a day or two & I'm sure something will rub me the wrong way. ;)

Relocated....its the most travel I've done in a while:

This is not a 'Peeve' per se, (more of a quizzical observation), but I didn't know where else to put it, and it certainly doesn't merit its own thread:

We don't watch TV, (although we do watch movies, etc, on our TV), but we often see brief vids online, (most often various politicians), with people 'signing' in the background.

I don't sign, and currently don't know anyone who does, but I have in days gone by had some passing exposure to it. The conversations I witnessed seemed to be straightforward hand signals, but nowadays the background 'signers' appear to be participating in inebriated games of charades, complete with overacted facial (or should it be 'farcical') expressions.

Since Close Captioning is readily available, it just makes me wonder if the pols are using the clowns to distract, rather than inform, the audience.

Look at it this way: for hearing people how one speaks in private is different than how one speaks when addressing a group in a public meeting. The hearing person's tone and loudness is totally different when addressing a large group. It is the same thing with signing. In a more intimate signing situation the mannerisms are not as pronounced as in addressing a large crowd while signing.

In a more intimate signing situation the mannerisms are not as pronounced as in addressing a large crowd while signing.

I appreciate that, but as John Galt III noted, some/many/most are ham actors whose over dramatization often becomes 'the show' in and of itself.

So my basic question was if their theatricality is encouraged in order to divert attention from how boring the pol's screeds are.

Overboard is surely overboard regardless of whether one can hear or not?

The two white bulbs at the bottom are "new". I forgot to get a warmer color temperature, plus the coating seems defective and there's the black stuff. I think I'm getting extra UV rays because of the thin coating. I guess I'll try returning them.

ihxgRYn.jpg

My pet peeve is that it took me an hour to cancel our Dish TV service for our vacation property. Called Frontier Communications which is the company that has been billing us for the services for the last 15 years. They had me call back to a different number and then they put me on hold until a DISH representative finally picked up after a half hour of waiting to then be forwarded and put on hold again. I kept getting offered bigger discounts and I kept saying “No”. Maybe I would have accepted one of their offers if I could have just cancelled their service online. The cable companies and Satellite TV companies fully deserve their inevitable demise.

I appreciate that, but as John Galt III noted, some/many/most are ham actors whose over dramatization often becomes 'the show' in and of itself.

So my basic question was if their theatricality is encouraged in order to divert attention from how boring the pol's screeds are.

Overboard is surely overboard regardless of whether one can hear or not?

I can't see a conspiracy here. The deaf culture is different than what hearing people are used to. The deaf culture is extremely visual (by necessity) and maybe that is what you are picking up on. I used to supervise from 2 to 5 deaf people in my w*rk unit at various times. Having that experience, I've never seen one of these TV signers that appeared overboard to me. Some of the folks I worked with were very demonstrative, like they were shouting at you, others were subdued. Just like hearing people. The sign language translators are trained to be visible to the crowd and the people in the back, so some theatrics are used. Imagine a Shakespearean actor compared to a one-on-one conversation. Usually at our meetings the hearing impaired individuals would try to sit in the same area at the presentation and close to the interpreter so they could see the signs and facial movements better.

I don't have much to say about the facial expressions when signing. I agree that just using closed captions seems like the way to go, but then I am completely ignorant about the whole topic.

I just wanted to post my own pet peeve of the day, on a different topic:

Here it is, just January 1st, and already 34095876 people on the internet have informed me that they know without the slightest doubt that 2021 is NOT going to be one bit better in any possible way, than 2020 was.

None of us know what it is going to be like so I think they should shut up, go away, stand in a corner, and basically stop being such Negative Nellies.

Here it is, just January 1st, and already 34095876 people on the internet have informed me that they know without the slightest doubt that 2021 is NOT going to be one bit better in any possible way, than 2020 was.

None of us know what it is going to be like so I think they should shut up, go away, stand in a corner, and basically stop being such Negative Nellies.

+1
I guess they don't consider an epic planetary conjunction on the winter solstice in the midst of the Ursid meteor shower be a good omen for the next year? :)

+1
I guess they don't consider an epic planetary conjunction on the winter solstice in the midst of the Ursid meteor shower be a good omen for the next year? :)

Well there you go! Sounds like a good omen to me, all right. :D :LOL:

Something that I learned a couple years ago is that some people who are hearing impaired grow up only using ASL. ASL and English are two separate languages. If they don’t learn English as well, closed captioning doesn’t mean anything to them. It had never occurred to me before I had a conversation with my aunt, who learned ASL so she could minister in her church. Some of their congregants grew up deaf with parents who were also deaf, and so ASL is their native language while English is learned later in life.

Back on topic, a big pet peeve of mine is wind chimes. We live near a nature preserve and it’s so nice to sit outside and listen to birdsong. Our HOA doesn’t allow wind chimes, but a new neighbor who isn’t familiar with that rule must’ve received some for Christmas. I am too timid to do much about it, but it is annoying since there is often a breeze. [emoji53]

The guy I'm always seeing in YouTube ads who says cardio doesn't burn fat, and now his new one, "the best way to burn fat is with more fat." BS. I hate him.

The township adjacent to ours has a noise ordinance limiting even legal fireworks to before 10PM. I wish our township had that. Illegal fireworks in a suburban neighborhood at 12:45 AM. But then our township used to have a racetrack, that was undisclosed when we bought the house. Thankfully it's gone. Sometimes the races went on until 1 AM. Probably why we don't have a noise ordinance.

Online media presuming that subjects on their pages is only available from them, thus expecting one to sign up or in.

I find most subjects available after a quick DuckDUck search, in many locations without roadblocks. Many times I only have a casual interest in the subject, thus pass. Sometimes I am a bit more curious and search for the stuff.
Today's stuff is in The Telegraph about a Doc who prescribes food before drugs, no details. Interesting, but blocked unless subscriber. A quick poke at Duck... and several places show up, no blocked access, turns out she prescribes Plant Based Diet. So an extra pragraph read and moved on. Am not inteested in veganism.

Back
Top Bottom