What kind of bike for a re-beginner?

Agree with much of the advice up thread. I did the same thing at age 60, couple of years ago. Rode a ton when younger, but decades off. While I still have my nice road bike (OK, nice when I bought it in the early 70s), it has an issue that I couldn't take care of with the rear derailleur, and I couldn't get the back cog off (had 3 and would swap them depending on what type of riding I was doing. After hurting my back about 20 years ago, riding in the road position is not comfortable, certainly not for anything longer than 10-15 minutes.

In the spirit of BTD, I went out and bought a new hybrid that allows me to sit in a more upright position. I chose a Trek Verve 3. Also got a trailer hitch mounted carrier. There are over 100 miles of paved trails that I can access within a half hour of my house, the closest is about 15 minutes, all have mildly rolling hills, no serious climbs. I won't ride on the street any more, too many distracted drivers. And despite having lots of bike lanes, the first few miles from my house would have to be on either a busy highway or a two lane with no bike lane. Hey, I'm FIREd, so taking the extra time to drive is no biggie. I've been getting out 2-3 days a week for 1-1 1/2 hours. Have lost a little weight, but feel much better, and find the ride to be very relaxing.

Really glad I read this thread, though. I think I need to talk with the Trek store... mine doesn't go over 20 MPH! :LOL:

I still have my old Trek 7300 hybrid. Great bike. It doesn't go over 20 mph either - at least with me on it. If you want to go over 20 mph, get a light weight bike maybe with an aluminum frame

Have no idea of the cost, but another option could be a recumbent bike. They appear more stable.

Some recumbent bicycles have three wheels, and some have two wheels like regular bicycles. I've never ridden either type. Are the two-wheel recumbents about as stable as a regular bicycle?

I still have my old Trek 7300 hybrid. Great bike. It doesn't go over 20 mph either - at least with me on it. If you want to go over 20 mph, get a light weight bike maybe with an aluminum frame
I have a Trek 7500. It was pretty much the only bike I rode from 2007 to 2020. I bought my e-bike in 2021 and usually ride it now.

Attachments

• Trek7500.jpg
    Trek7500.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 24
I got a mountain bike for $30 from a private seller on craigslist.. everything seemed working until I started biking on it and realized the front end is giving a bumpy ride.

It turned out whoever installed the tire did not have the metal edge sit properly on the rim so I replaced the tire (the tube was fine) and replaced a thick cushy seat.

Then I spent $20 for the local bike shop to fine tune it. I also added a ebay cargo rack on the back and took it on the bike path with backpack on the weekends.

The bike itself doesn't have any shocks on the front or rear but the cushy seat is enough to prevent the sore bum.

I too suggest shopping at a bicycle shop. The salesman can fit you with the proper frame size and adjust it to you.

Most of the bicycle shops have a brand like Giant that's a good value, and their bikes around $350 are decent quality bicycles.

My daughter was a bicycle racer, and I still have 3 of her bikes in my garage. One is 100% custom built of the finest components known to man--$4,000+ in parts alone. But it's a purpose built bike that's terrible for every day riding.

Yes, that would be intimidating for a beginner.

I'd check out what are called "cruiser" bikes or "comfort" bikes. Usually have less than 10 speeds, wider tires and rims (but not fat tires) and handlebars that are set up so the rider sits mostly upright in the saddle. Not built for speed but for comfort and stability.

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/products/perla-womens-cruiser-bike

https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-wo...iser-bike-blue-white/-/A-15287653#lnk=sametab

Go into a bike shop ask for advice and try riding some different styles of bikes--hybrids, cruisers, and comfort bikes. Something that you feel confident riding and not something that looks "cool."
+1. Bike shops are a great place to purchase your bike-avoid big box stores with pre-assembled, lesser cost bikes, as they are not professionally assembled IMHO. Some bike shops offer a nice selection of used bikes, also. Spend some money on an upgraded helmet. I had one crash in the last 20 years of "adult" riding, and was thankful for my "skull bucket". Good luck-hope you love it as much as our family does.

So many things to consider. There is also a wealth of bad information. I have been riding bicycles for the past 70 years ever since I was 3 yrs old. I have had everything from single speed to competition bikes I rode in triathlons. Much has changed through the years and the choices are many. There is too much to learn about frames and components to cover here. A good quality brand with a few speeds is all you need to start. A rear hub that contains the gears should be a good choice to limit frustration and avoid damage to the gears and the regular need to adjust as often. Shifting may take a bit to master but important to do so. You may want to look at hybrids or comfort bikes. Just like my recommendation to first time motorcycle riders - take it to somewhere like an unused parking lot and practice shifting and turning.
It is supposed to be fun so keep things simple unless you have a desire for speed. That may come later but first get comfortable on the bike.
I have also been riding a recumbent trike for the past 25 years. These are the ones that have 2 wheels up front. My first (and still riding) is an ICE (now called TRICE). My new trike is a CATRIKE. Recumbent trikes (and 2 wheel recumbents) can be pricy. My first trike 25 years ago was $2500 and the recent one I wanted more comfort and whistles and bells so I went top of their line at $4400. Some models are easier to get off than others. You will need to try a few brands and models if possible. One important consideration is DO NOT buy a trike that has 2 wheels in back like a kids trike. They are too easy to flip over going around corners. I won't get on one. Some people may have one but you can't rewrite Physics.
You will want a reputable bike shop so the pros and cons of what you want to do can be explained. Once you decide on a bike they should have at least 6 months free adjustments. Some places give a year and there are a couple in my area that are lifetime. They should also fit you to the bike so that frame size, seat adjust (height and front to back) and handle bar height and angle are comfortable.

Cheers!

Lots of good advice, esp local bike shop as they can hook you into club networks and lessons.

I love cycling and am currently aspiring to 100m/week. I rode as a kid and every 5-10 years as a tourist adult. At ~55 when I was interested in riding as a hobby, I still found a one day course very, very valuable, so I highly recommend it. The leader maybe able to arrange a loaner. A lot of variety in my "beginner" class, maybe 25-33% who had crashed and wanted confidence.

I think there is more risk potential with an e-bike, so I highly recommend learning skills under your own power and once you have the basic safety skills, buy an e-bike if you want to.

Another recommendation is for a bike club(s). They have graded enthusiasts from "ride to coffee" to racing training levels, often in the same club. I ride regularly with 3 different ones for different reasons/rides. My first club ride was a special regular specifically for beginners, my second one had 80 and 85 year old riders which is still my favorite ride (the same club has racing rides too).

You didn't ask but I highly recommend Pickleball - do a class, easy to find newbies, very welcoming, can be very social!!! I've only played 4 times and "suck" (no ball game skills) but still love it. I think I might like it more than cycling:)

You didn't ask but I highly recommend Pickleball - do a class, easy to find newbies, very welcoming, can be very social!!! I've only played 4 times and "suck" (no ball game skills) but still love it. I think I might like it more than cycling:)

I ride my bike to PB. And today another PBer, who coincidentally lives close to me, biked too. There are now twice as many people biking to PB. So, it is possible to do both.:)

I was completely turned off pickleball, after learning that hitting each other with the ball is not only allowed, but considered a winning strategy. If someone else slams you with the ball, you are at fault for not seeing it coming and getting out of the way.

It is bad enough to get hit accidentally with a ball, but to have to expect it?

"Pickleblall Rules- Hit by the Pickleball
If a ball in play hits you, it is a fault against you. That’s true even if it only grazes your hair. And it doesn’t matter where you are on the court. Even if you are standing well out of bounds and the ball hits you before landing, it’s your fault.
Do whatever it takes to avoid being hit by the pickleball, duck, pivot, leap or swivel. Think about the movie The Matrix and give it your best move!

"On the plus side, aiming a ball at your opponent is legal and good strategy. Just be a good sport and aim at the toes, not the nose. A soft hit at the opponent’s chest gives you the same value as a smash and helps keep you popular."

Last edited by a moderator:
*On the multi-day bike trips that I guide, all of the crashes have involved people on pedal-assist e-bikes. Pedal-assist makes it too easy to go faster than the rider’s skill level and when something unexpected happens (need to slow/stop suddenly, change in riding surface, etc) the rider hasn’t developed the balance and/or technique to safely navigate and down they go.

So it's not possible to ride "un" assisted on a pedal-assisted e-bike? Or folks just don't have the ability to say no? I think it'd be nice to have the flexibility to ride on your own for however long you like and then if you got a bit too far from home, flip on the assist!

It’s possible to pedal my ebike without electric assist. Mine has none, low, medium, and high settings for electric assist level.

But due to the extra ebike weight, it’s not easy to peddle without some assist.

Last edited:
When we ride our ebikes, we turn the electric assist off on the outbound leg, and only turn it on for the return leg when we feel pooped. And of course, we also cheat and turn it on when going up slopes.

People who ride their ebikes fast for speed may want to look into riding a motorcycle instead.

Looking forward to fall season for it to cool down to resume this activity. Not riding in this 110+F weather.

I am another long time cyclist. I ride around 100 miles a week commuting in my last year at work. I have ridden a lot of bikes, and recently purchased a high quality e-bike.

I am going against many who have responded by saying that you should probably start with a regular bike instead of an e-bike. This recommendation is based on three factors: A good e-bike is expensive, it also adds complication to the riding experience, and you will be going rather fast if you were to go down. Get some experience riding a regular bike, then graduate to an e-bike once you get your "riding legs" under you.

Renting is a good idea, as well as buying used. Buying used can be daunting w/o help though, so a bike shop may be the only realistic option.

Ebikes do require more caution than conventional bikes, especially for new riders. DW’s cousin recently ran a stop light on his ebike and collided with a car, receiving head injuries. Don’t know if he is out of the hospital yet. He’s had stroke like issues in the past, so maybe an ebike isn’t for him.

It’s very important that riders be in good health and have good conventional bike riding skills before attempting to ride an ebike.

Ebikes do require more caution than conventional bikes, especially for new riders. DW’s cousin recently ran a stop light on his ebike and collided with a car, receiving head injuries. Don’t know if he is out of the hospital yet. He’s had stroke like issues in the past, so maybe an ebike isn’t for him.

It’s very important that riders be in good health and have good conventional bike riding skills before attempting to ride an ebike.

I don't understand all the comments about ebikes being dangerous. My ebike is much safer than my regular bike. It's heavier which makes it more sturdy and less likely to fall. I can get going from a stop with less difficulty than a regular bike. I don't have to worry about whether I can get up a hill or not like with a regular bike. Going to fast or going thru a red light when there are cars present is a case of a stupid rider not a problem with an ebike. You only go as fast as you let the bike go. Just because my bike can go 28mph doesn't me I go that fast any time that I can't safely do so. If you ride an ebike responsibly there should be no problem. Should be more safe, not less than a regular bike.

I’m just saying that ebikes can be more dangerous than conventional bikes for those who don’t have safe bicycling skills to begin with.

I agree... an e-bike can be safe, and maybe even safer in some respects than a regular bike, for an experienced rider. I would also assert that they are more dangerous than a regular bike in other respects due to the higher speeds involved. I got "doored" once on my regular bike at 12 MPH (parked car driver opens, door... bam!). Would be much worse at 25.

I don't understand all the comments about ebikes being dangerous. My ebike is much safer than my regular bike. It's heavier which makes it more sturdy and less likely to fall. I can get going from a stop with less difficulty than a regular bike. I don't have to worry about whether I can get up a hill or not like with a regular bike. Going to fast or going thru a red light when there are cars present is a case of a stupid rider not a problem with an ebike. You only go as fast as you let the bike go. Just because my bike can go 28mph doesn't me I go that fast any time that I can't safely do so. If you ride an ebike responsibly there should be no problem. Should be more safe, not less than a regular bike.

I see some comments stating an ebike is more dangerous due to higher speeds. Just because you have an ebike doesn't mean you are always going faster. I ride fastest when going down hills, and I have the ebike assist off down hills, so it's the same as my traditional bike. I mostly use the ebike assist for going up hills and into strong headwinds, and even with the assist on those big hills, I'm not going as fast as I often will be going on flats and down hills on the conventional bike or ebike with no assist. So, it all depends on what the rider is doing. Common sense goes a long way. After many years of riding a standard bike, I got an ebike and am now enjoying my second summer riding it. I don't dread those hills anymore and can compensate for headwinds.

Conventional biker here. I ride 3-4 days a week. 2-3 hours at a time. Nobody rides faster than e bikers, nobody. I get blown off the bike path by them. Some have a bell which I appreciate. Some say or sound nothing.

I agree... an e-bike can be safe, and maybe even safer in some respects than a regular bike, for an experienced rider. I would also assert that they are more dangerous than a regular bike in other respects due to the higher speeds involved. I got "doored" once on my regular bike at 12 MPH (parked car driver opens, door... bam!). Would be much worse at 25.

There is no reason higher speeds need to be involved just because you are on an ebike. Go the same speed as you would on a regular bike just with less difficulty.

I have never ridden my ebike as fast as I used to ride my Trek road bike. 20 mph + on my road bike. Average 16 MPH on my ebike.

I ride my ebike and get passed by people on regular bikes all the time. Sure I could probably pass them if I wanted to but there is no reason to.

I see some comments stating an ebike is more dangerous due to higher speeds. Just because you have an ebike doesn't mean you are always going faster. I ride fastest when going down hills, and I have the ebike assist off down hills, so it's the same as my traditional bike...

Just thought about this: I don't believe there's an ebike that can do regen on downhill, like EVs do. It should be doable, but the makers just don't bother.

A cruiser bike with the cushiest saddle you can find if the purpose of biking is for fun.

I would still replace the saddle and / or get one of those padded bike shorts if you are getting the bike for exercise it stamina training.

My bums get sore afterwards even from just sitting on the seat of the MBTA commuter rail train for 10 minutes so it might just be me.

Back
Top Bottom