What kind of bike for a re-beginner?

Since the OP mentioned the weather in Florida, I would assume the intent is to ride there. Not many tough hills in Florida I expect. IMHO, a conventional bike with a few gears would suffice. I really think a good bike store that also does rentals would be a good place to get good advice and maybe even could guide you on how to get confident in your ability to ride again. I suspect you'll pick up the knack faster than you think.

Some gloves would be good to go with a helmet, to protect hands in case you do go down. Full on dirt bike motorcycle gear is probably overkill. The leathers I prefer for my road MC would be way too much. But gear up, be safe.

I don't know what other states have, but Illinois has a maximum speed for pedal assist bikes at 20mph. And my ebike will not go faster than that - maybe 21 mph if I'm going down a steep hill.

I've had several conventional bikes that exceeded 20 mph. So a conventional bike can go faster than a pedal assist ebike - at least here in Illinois. And after riding an ebike for the past 2 years, I now find the ebike safer to ride than my last 2 conventional Trek bikes.

That said, ebikes take a while to get used to. There is more acceleration on an ebike when you first start pedaling compared to a conventional bike - especially if you start off at the high level of electric assist. I don't notice it much anymore. I suspect most ebike accidents happen when riders have the assist set too high upon take-off.

I got DW (an extreme biking novice) an ebike, and she picked it up fairly easily.

You said yourself that you had several conventional bikes before the e-bike. If you were riding at 20 mph on a conventional bike, you had put in a lot of time in the saddle to develop the power and endurance to maintain that speed. Coincidentally you were developing your balance and riding skills to keep you safe at that speed.

Putting a novice rider on an e-bike is akin to putting a 16 y.o. with a brand new driver’s license behind the wheel of a power car. A careful driver will be okay, but the driver (rider) doesn’t know what she doesn’t know and can get themselves in trouble.

Putting a novice rider on an e-bike is akin to putting a 16 y.o. with a brand new driver’s license behind the wheel of a power car. A careful driver will be okay, but the driver (rider) doesn’t know what she doesn’t know and can get themselves in trouble.

This make sense to me. Plus, since most people either abandon their new hobbies or they get into them, getting a standard, somewhat basic bike first makes sense. She will either not use it and will have saved money or, she will be upgrading soon enough.

I'm thinking wrist/elbow protection.

Some gloves would be good to go with a helmet, to protect hands in case you do go down. Full on dirt bike motorcycle gear is probably overkill. The leathers I prefer for my road MC would be way too much. But gear up, be safe.

This sounds like a no brainier, but make sure you get fitting for your bike. The folks at a bike shop should fit you. Otherwise, if just guessing, off by an 1/2 inch or so can throw things off.

I'm thinking wrist/elbow protection.

I wear elbow and knee pads when I bike. They do not get in the way and offer some protection to those joints should I fall.

I agree with those who say rent a bike first. the rental place should be very good at picking out something for you, based on your comfort level. We did this on a vacation where DW had not ridden in over 20 years, and the place was helpful.

I would recommend that you take a trip to a bike store - to look at the different models, and sit on anything that looks appealing, to see if it feels stable and comfortable.

Again, this is my opinion - safety first and foremost. See if you can find a one speed like the one you previously used, with solid handle bars, a comfortable seat which is low enough for you to put your feet flat on the ground if feeling shaky, good brakes, wide tires, and that dropped bar in the front which allows you to easily mount/ dismount.

You may want to buy something off Craig's list after you determine the type (if it is in good condition), unless you "fall in love" at the bike shop.

The next thing is to find a level area, without traffic, and room to turn where you can practise. You are going to need to learn to balance, turn, and go up and down small inclines. Give yourself plenty of time to practise before you try to keep up with a group, and when you start riding with the group, feel free to tell them that you are a new rider and most likely will only be riding with them for a short distance to start.

My mother grew up in the City, and did not learn to ride until her 50s (and I remember her learning on the type of bike I described). :flowers:

You said yourself that you had several conventional bikes before the e-bike. If you were riding at 20 mph on a conventional bike, you had put in a lot of time in the saddle to develop the power and endurance to maintain that speed. Coincidentally you were developing your balance and riding skills to keep you safe at that speed.

I agree. But what surprised me is how easily my DW handles her ebike. She’s probably biked 400 miles in her life. She is extremely careful.

I think that’s what it takes for a novice to stay safe on an ebike- you have to be extremely careful- more careful than you need to be on a conventional bike.

I'd be reluctant to begin bike riding again at age 65, personally. Of course, what you do is up to you, not me! But at age 65, 70 is coming up fast and 80 is just around the corner.

Anyway, Frank bought a bike when he was about your age but doesn't feel safe riding it any more (at 67). So, it just sits there; the money he spent on his bike is wasted unless/until he manages to sell it. He walks for exercise instead, with his cane. As for me, I ride my stationary bike but that's about it.

One alternative that I don't think I saw mentioned in previous posts on this thread, is the adult tricycle. I think it looks pretty cool and might be much safer than a two wheeled bike. My daughter, on the other hand, doesn't think adult tricycles look cool at all, and says, "Oh MOM!!! Don't get one of those! That's what the OLD folks ride." :ROFLMAO:

I picked up cycling again at 50, and have ridden consistently, sometimes intensely, for the last 12 years. Had not exercised in years and was 20+ pounds heavier than I am now when I started. Some good advice upthread, some I disagree with. My thoughts:

-Stay away from "cruisers" with their substantial weight and wide bars. They are built to a price, might be fine as a rental for a tourist for a few days. Not the kind of thing you want to hop on every day for 30 minutes+

-If you're looking only to exercise, don't spend the money on an electric, just pedal. You're in the flatlands of SE FL, so there is only wind, no hills. Pedaling against the wind is good exercise. Just don't get too far west before you turn around. Or just ride N/S.

-If you're looking to exercise and become a part of a social group of cyclists, go electric, but don't be cheap about it. The assist will allow you to stay up with the more experienced folks as you're starting out. You can forego the assist as your fitness and experience improves.

-Agree with the recommendations to get to a quality bike shop. By "quality" I mean someone that sells to locals, doesn't have a big rental business for tourists and carries brands such as Trek, Specialized and Giant. All three of those companies sell a wide variety of bikes.

-As to type of bike, agree with the recommendation to look at "comfort" bikes initially. I started out with a "comfort" model and quickly moved to a skinny-tire road bike. Still have both. If I were to do it again, I would by a "hybrid" as the first one, but not everyone takes to it like I have (almost 10,000 miles on skinny tire road bikes).

-As to gear, yes, padded shorts or underwear help a lot. Don't skimp or think a heavily padded saddle/seat will be "good enough". It takes a while for those tissues to harden enough to be comfortable. Even now, I'm only good for an hour-ish without padding, and if I'm off the bike for a week, even that gets uncomfortable.

I'm glad to see any one look seriously at cycling for exercise and socialization. It's been a live saver for me physically and as a way to keep my head through professional and personal upheaval. Maybe it will be that for you, great that you are looking for something like that.

I'd be reluctant to begin bike riding again at age 65, personally. Of course, what you do is up to you, not me! But at age 65, 70 is coming up fast and 80 is just around the corner.

Anyway, Frank bought a bike when he was about your age but doesn't feel safe riding it any more (at 67). So, it just sits there; the money he spent on his bike is wasted unless/until he manages to sell it. He walks for exercise instead, with his cane. As for me, I ride my stationary bike but that's about it.

One alternative that I don't think I saw mentioned in previous posts on this thread, is the adult tricycle. I think it looks pretty cool and might be much safer than a two wheeled bike. My daughter, on the other hand, doesn't think adult tricycles look cool at all, and says, "Oh MOM!!! Don't get one of those! That's what the OLD folks ride." :ROFLMAO:

Aerides very discreetly slipped it in Post #7. :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
Aerides very discreetly slipped it in Post #7. :LOL:

Oh!! Sorry, Aerides! Somehow I completely missed that you mentioned adult tricycles. OOPS :banghead:

A cruiser/trike style for casual riding, going to the store, if that's possible where you are? Nice and stable, almost zero chance of falling off.
+1 :LOL: OK, that's what I meant.

Attachments

• trike.jpg
    trike.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 122
- First, I would start with a bike store or two so you could see your options. Hopefully, you will get a good sales person who could review the bikes with you. Do your best to think about the type of riding you will be doing. For example, going shopping, 10 mile rides on your own or with a friend, longer rides for even more exercise, etc

- There is the Florida Bicycle Association. You could reach out to them. There might be members in your area. They also work with another national organization called Cycling Savvey. If you go to the link, you could reach out to either/both organization. There goal is to get more people on bikes https://floridabicycle.org/ If it turns out, you do not live in FL, every state has a similar statewide advocacy organization.
- I would also investigate the League of American Bicyclists Ride Smart program. They also have a train the trainer. There is good information on the site and if you are lucky enough, a League Certified Instructor lives close enough to you. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart
- Your local elementary school may have a Safe Routes To School program. If they do, there is an instructor on that program who might be willing to help you out. There job is to teach basic riding principles to students.
- I have been biking and advocating for many years. I would be happy to answer your questions. Nothing is better than a person who wants to make their motor vehicle there second choice for transportation. And, it always starts where you are now.

I'd go with a step through frame 3 speed hub beach cruiser.

I never stopped riding completely but I was down to a few rides a year on a cheap hybrid for decades. After I retired in 2006 I got back into it, as did DW. We quickly outgrew the old, cheap bikes and by about 8 years ago had graduated to custom steel bikes built for us. I'm still riding that bike about 20 miles a day but am slowing down significantly, partly age and partly slowly developing Parkinson's Disease. Now I am looking at ebikes and, incidentally, test rode a step thru version of the Cannondale Treadwell mentioned above.

Based on your posts, I recommend first things first - find out if you will quickly recapture your riding skills and be comfortable on the road. Then, figure out what you should buy with the help of a good bike store. See if you can borrow a bike from a friend and seek out a good place to try out your skills. I recommend a big, empty parking lot when the store or company using it is closed. That worked great with our grandkids. If you are literally uncomfortable even starting out because of balance fears, try the recommended approach for kids. Look for a large grassy area with a mild slope. Push of down hill and let the bike slowly roll along feet out, off the pedals while you get used to gradual curves back and forth. Gently brake if you pick up too much speed. After a few coasting runs, put your feet on the pedals and start pedaling where the slope flattens out. Once you get comfortable, get off the grass and onto a parking lot.

As to the bike to buy, take your time. If you like it, a relatively inexpensive hybrid like Midpack recommends could be a good place to start. If you get into it, Katy bars the door - just tune into the blow that dough zeitgeist. I would recommend holding off on ebikes until you are comfortable riding. They are really fun and can help immensely with hills as we age but until you regain your skills they could easily encourage you to overshoot your handling ability, especially on curves.

By the way, I hope to last long enough to ultimately invest in a peddle assist eTrike if my balance deteriorates too much for two wheels.

Have no idea of the cost, but another option could be a recumbent bike. They appear more stable.

I realize people pedal eBikes, but if you’re buying a bike for exercise, just pedal an unassisted bike and spare the expense. If you go up hills slowly, so what. And you can plan routes so you can be assured of getting home. We do it all the time…

I rode a standard bicycle for many years. Going up very long steep hills on a lightweight bike was a killer, even when I was in my best shape. Also, riding into strong headwinds really sucked.

I finally bought an e-bike a year ago. The hills and headwinds aren't nearly as bad, and I'm always pedaling with force (not ghost pedaling), so I keep my heart rate up and get great exercise, but I'm not ever pushed to the limit on those big hills. The ebike eliminated the worst parts of riding, so I actually ride more. And I've seen that same feedback from many other ebike riders.

My bike's power is fully customizable, so I can get just as much assistance as I want - and I even turn off the assistance on a lot of level roads and of course when going downhill.

I'm on my second summer of riding it, and I have no regrets.

I've never been concerned about getting back home. I've never run out of power, even on 60+ mile rides, because I am conservative about the assistance usage, using where I really appreciate it, mostly on hills. And even if I did run out of power, I can pedal the bike unpowered, as I often do on level ground anyway.

Last edited:
I don't know what other states have, but Illinois has a maximum speed for pedal assist bikes at 20mph. And my ebike will not go faster than that - maybe 21 mph if I'm going down a steep hill.

I'm in Illinois and ride an e-bike. Actually, Class 3 bikes are legal in Illinois. They allow pedal assistance to 28 mph. You can pedal or go down hills faster than 28 mph, it's just that the motor can't assist beyond 28 mph. The 20 mph limit you mention is class 1 and class 2, but class 2 allows a throttle while class 1 does not. And that's the "assist" limit, not the speed limit. All 3 classes are legal in Illinois, although some specific areas may not allow some classes or even allow e-bikes (some trails, for example).

I've had several conventional bikes that exceeded 20 mph. So a conventional bike can go faster than a pedal assist ebike - at least here in Illinois.
No, ebikes are not limited in their maximum speed, they are limited in their maximum "assisted speed". So, a class 3 bike in Illinois can provide power assist to 28 mph, but once you surpass that speed by pedaling hard or going down hill, the motor will cut off. The assist limit is NOT an overall speed limit for the bike. I've had my class 3 bike up to 36 mph going downhill, but of course, the motor wasn't assisting since I was beyond the 28 mph assist limit.

Illinois e-bike:
https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com...efad3920e05_E-Bike-Law-Handouts_IL_2020-1.pdf

I thought moving to an e-bike was super easy - not much of a learning curve. The one I got gives a wide range of assist level customization, like the number of assist levels and the power for each level. I tend to run with low assist to get good exercise and bump it up on the hills, which can be a killer without assist. If I'm using assist, I always drop it down to 0 before I come to a stop, so I'm never actually starting off with assist, although it wouldn't make much difference starting out in the low assist levels I'm usually on (except for the big hills).

I think the safety concerns about e-bikes are overplayed. I'm a member of a couple e-bike groups with many people just getting back into biking, and I'm not seeing much posted about accidents.

Last edited:
I picked up cycling again at 50, and have ridden consistently, sometimes intensely, for the last 12 years. Had not exercised in years and was 20+ pounds heavier than I am now when I started. Some good advice upthread, some I disagree with. My thoughts:

-Stay away from "cruisers" with their substantial weight and wide bars. They are built to a price, might be fine as a rental for a tourist for a few days. Not the kind of thing you want to hop on every day for 30 minutes+

-If you're looking only to exercise, don't spend the money on an electric, just pedal. You're in the flatlands of SE FL, so there is only wind, no hills. Pedaling against the wind is good exercise. Just don't get too far west before you turn around. Or just ride N/S.

-If you're looking to exercise and become a part of a social group of cyclists, go electric, but don't be cheap about it. The assist will allow you to stay up with the more experienced folks as you're starting out. You can forego the assist as your fitness and experience improves.

-Agree with the recommendations to get to a quality bike shop. By "quality" I mean someone that sells to locals, doesn't have a big rental business for tourists and carries brands such as Trek, Specialized and Giant. All three of those companies sell a wide variety of bikes.

-As to type of bike, agree with the recommendation to look at "comfort" bikes initially. I started out with a "comfort" model and quickly moved to a skinny-tire road bike. Still have both. If I were to do it again, I would by a "hybrid" as the first one, but not everyone takes to it like I have (almost 10,000 miles on skinny tire road bikes).

-As to gear, yes, padded shorts or underwear help a lot. Don't skimp or think a heavily padded saddle/seat will be "good enough". It takes a while for those tissues to harden enough to be comfortable. Even now, I'm only good for an hour-ish without padding, and if I'm off the bike for a week, even that gets uncomfortable.

I'm glad to see any one look seriously at cycling for exercise and socialization. It's been a live saver for me physically and as a way to keep my head through professional and personal upheaval. Maybe it will be that for you, great that you are looking for something like that.
This.
Also, call a couple local shops and tell them what you're looking for.
Most will let you try a few bikes out in the parking lot and a good one will let you ride for a few miles on the bike you've narrowed down on.
A good shop will also know how to properly fit you to the bike and can be counted on to fix any issues that come up. Unless you're mechanically inclined, stay away from Craigslist and Boxstore bikes.
A shop may also hook you up with appropriate riding groups. One local shop here runs a women's only group, and another runs a "no drop" beginners group ride.

Lots of advice to have the seat lowered so your feet can touch the ground flat. If you misadjust your bike like that you will not ride comfortably.

(I think this is the first I've seen you post that you lost your husband. My condolences.)

Lots of great advice on this thread. I’ll only add that I think it’s awesome that you are looking to start biking. I’ve been biking for years and it’s a great way to get exercise and meet people. I try do a few organized events each year and they are always lots of fun.

Just make sure to take time to find the right bike and be safe. And don’t stress if you don’t find the perfect bike the first time. Sometimes it takes a lot of time on a bike to know what works. My best advice is to find something that you feel comfortable and safe riding.

Agree with much of the advice up thread. I did the same thing at age 60, couple of years ago. Rode a ton when younger, but decades off. While I still have my nice road bike (OK, nice when I bought it in the early 70s), it has an issue that I couldn't take care of with the rear derailleur, and I couldn't get the back cog off (had 3 and would swap them depending on what type of riding I was doing. After hurting my back about 20 years ago, riding in the road position is not comfortable, certainly not for anything longer than 10-15 minutes.

In the spirit of BTD, I went out and bought a new hybrid that allows me to sit in a more upright position. I chose a Trek Verve 3. Also got a trailer hitch mounted carrier. There are over 100 miles of paved trails that I can access within a half hour of my house, the closest is about 15 minutes, all have mildly rolling hills, no serious climbs. I won't ride on the street any more, too many distracted drivers. And despite having lots of bike lanes, the first few miles from my house would have to be on either a busy highway or a two lane with no bike lane. Hey, I'm FIREd, so taking the extra time to drive is no biggie. I've been getting out 2-3 days a week for 1-1 1/2 hours. Have lost a little weight, but feel much better, and find the ride to be very relaxing.

Really glad I read this thread, though. I think I need to talk with the Trek store... mine doesn't go over 20 MPH! :LOL:

Last edited:
This.
Lots of advice to have the seat lowered so your feet can touch the ground flat. If you misadjust your bike like that you will not ride comfortably.

Just to clarify, I only recommended that because OP said she was worried about even getting starting since she had not rode in a long time. I agree, that would not be a proper setup once she’s sure she got her balance figured out.

Back
Top Bottom