What kind of bike for a re-beginner?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want to start cycling, and need ideas on what kind of bike a 65-year-old re-beginning cyclist should buy and how she should train.

Growing up, there were no sidewalks and I somehow never learned to ride a bike until age 20, when I taught myself to ride a cheap single-speed with thick (not fat) tires. I used to ride all the time for exercise, but gave up riding after college.

Many years later, my husband tried to get me to ride a thin-tired 10-speed Fuji road bike, one of a pair from his first marriage. I couldn't get the hang of the 10-speed mechanism or the skinny tires, and finally gave up.

Now I live on a 2-lane road with bike lanes, and hate having to turn down invitations to cycle.

Where do you think I should start? A bike shop?

Thanks,

Amethyst

I'd talk to the people who are giving you invitations to bike. There's probably a group or club that gets together afterwards and chats and I'd go hang out there. They will even have bikes to show you the things they like that you should consider.

One thing I would consider is an electric bike. After you get a handle on the type and style of bike you want, see if there's an electric version.

I like this one:

https://www.rei.com/product/189124/cannondale-treadwell-neo-electric-bike

I got back into cycling about 7 or 8 years ago. I used to live on my bike as a kid, but that was a long time ago.

I happened to be on a visit to Denver at the time, and went to the big flagship REI store there. Huge bicycle department and the people working there seemed extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I wound up buying a bike there, and they shipped it for free to my local REI store for pickup. I still have and use it.

You can also find lots of good advice on the REI website.

Any suggestions for dealing with the odd fact that I can't just get on a bike and ride, the way most healthy people can? I literally don't know how to ride any more and don't want to make a fool of myself.

It took quite a bit for me to even start this thread.

Many years later, my husband tried to get me to ride a thin-tired 10-speed Fuji road bike, one of a pair from his first marriage. I couldn't get the hang of the 10-speed mechanism or the skinny tires, and finally gave up.

Yes, that would be intimidating for a beginner.

Now I live on a 2-lane road with bike lanes, and hate having to turn down invitations to cycle.

Where do you think I should start? A bike shop?

Thanks,

Amethyst

I'd check out what are called "cruiser" bikes or "comfort" bikes. Usually have less than 10 speeds, wider tires and rims (but not fat tires) and handlebars that are set up so the rider sits mostly upright in the saddle. Not built for speed but for comfort and stability.

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/products/perla-womens-cruiser-bike

https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-wo...iser-bike-blue-white/-/A-15287653#lnk=sametab

Go into a bike shop ask for advice and try riding some different styles of bikes--hybrids, cruisers, and comfort bikes. Something that you feel confident riding and not something that looks "cool."

Last edited:
Any suggestions for dealing with the odd fact that I can't just get on a bike and ride, the way most healthy people can? I literally don't know how to ride any more and don't want to make a fool of myself.

Hmmm... Interesting.

I remember when I started to shoot target with a handgun, I read somewhere that once you got the skills you would not lose it, the same as with riding a bike.

I guess the above is not universally true.

A cruiser/trike style for casual riding, going to the store, if that's possible where you are? Nice and stable, almost zero chance of falling off.

And then look on craigslist or something for a cheap local pickup, try that for a month and then if you still like it, go to the bike store.

Phone a friend with a bike and find a place like a side walk that has grass on both sides (bail out area). If you’ve been on a bike before, you’ll be fine. Not an immediate expert, but you’ll get the hang of it right away. Maybe a sidewalk with a very slight downhill just to get that initial momentum.

ETA: Put the seat real low so your feet touch the ground and ride it a bit more like a scooter for a bit.

Last edited:
I would suggest an e-bike. After my 3 hip surgeries I can't walk very far so biking is the best option for exercise/recreation. I had difficulty with hills and starting from a stop with a regular bike so I went to an e-bike. I have put almost 1000 miles on in 3 months and love it. There is an e-bike available for everyone from 4'10-6'6 and maybe even outside those ranges. Local bike shops will cost much more money for the same quality bike than ordering online.

When you get a bicycle, along with helmet, be sure to get a good mirror.

I ride around town, so there are cars that pass me by. I'm constantly checking the mirror as I find head checking alone isn't good enough.

I used to ride for fun as a kid and had a bicycle my first year in college to zip around campus. After that didn't pick up riding again until decades later. Rediscovered the joy of riding along with the health benefits.

As for what type of bicycle, I think depends on what type of riding you'll be doing. If the roads you're riding on don't have many hills, you may not need one with a lot of different speeds. Also, will this be an errand bike? If so, then might want one with a carrier if you use to go to a store.

As for myself, my first bicycle when I started riding again was a 10 speed, adult size 26 inch one I got at a sporting store for about $70. Then out of curiosity and the cool factor, I went with a folding bike. I've since donated the the 26 inch bicycle and just go with the folding. This works out best for me. For my use, only a few miles per trip and like the portability of a folder.

Oh and no matter which way you go, look for WSD - women specific design - a bike you can just step thru to get on vs. swinging your leg over the seat to get on. And get padding for your seat (either in your shorts or the bike) the first few rides. More than anything else, that's the part I had to get re-used to...

Yes - start at a bike shop. And get a pedal assist e-bike. Makes going uphill and against winds a breeze. Very easy on the knees. Perfect for someone 65 years old.

I have one and it's incredible. I'll never ride a conventional bike again.

Last edited:
Oh and no matter which way you go, look for WSD - women specific design - a bike you can just step thru to get on vs. swinging your leg over the seat to get on. And get padding for your seat (either in your shorts or the bike) the first few rides. More than anything else, that's the part I had to get re-used to...

I wouldn't call a step thru a "women specific design". A step thru is for those who are vertically challenged regardless of gender.

Well, this is the issue. I'm a fairly recent widow, entirely on my own; cycling is one of the things I'm trying to make friends by doing. I don't currently have anybody I can just call on, to watch me try to ride their bike.

Please, nobody suggest "joining a Meetup" - there aren't many where I live, and none are suitable.

I'm really shy and rather ashamed about the whole business; not my usual confidence level at all.

Phone a friend with a bike and find a place like a side walk that has grass on both sides (bail out area). If you’ve been on a bike before, you’ll be fine. Not an immediate expert, but you’ll get the hang of it right away. Maybe a sidewalk with a very slight downhill just to get that initial momentum.

ETA: Put the seat real low so your feet touch the ground and ride it a bit more like a scooter for a bit.

A "padding assist" is something I definitely need to get, thanks. Padded bike shorts sound like a good idea, if rather warm for the Florida climate.

Renting a bike for a couple of hours might help the selection process.

Are there any shops or outfitters nearby that rent bikes? I work for a biking company that rents bikes by the hour or the day. Most of the fleet are comfort bikes that are suitable for people who rarely ride (Trek Verve). We have a few other styles and some pedal-assist bikes that we also rent.

If you speak to someone at the shop they will steer you towards an appropriate bike. Since you are not confident in your ability to ride, I recommend you do not get on a pedal-assist bike*. Start with a style that allows you to ride upright (and as suggested above, keep the seat low enough that you feel secure). Spend some time re-acquainting yourself with riding, and if riding makes you happy then shop for a bike to buy.

*On the multi-day bike trips that I guide, all of the crashes have involved people on pedal-assist e-bikes. Pedal-assist makes it too easy to go faster than the rider’s skill level and when something unexpected happens (need to slow/stop suddenly, change in riding surface, etc) the rider hasn’t developed the balance and/or technique to safely navigate and down they go.

I totally agree. Pedal assist sounds great for someone who's already used to cycling.

Since you are not confident in your ability to ride, I recommend you do not get on a pedal-assist bike*.
*On the multi-day bike trips that I guide, all of the crashes have involved people on pedal-assist e-bikes. Pedal-assist makes it too easy to go faster than the rider’s skill level and when something unexpected happens (need to slow/stop suddenly, change in riding surface, etc) the rider hasn’t developed the balance and/or technique to safely navigate and down they go.

Renting is a good idea.
Plus one on a helmet, and being able to put your feet down at a stop.
You don't want a too tall bike.

By all means a bike shop. We used to ride expensive road bikes, but if you’re riding for exercise like we are, a decent hybrid is all you need. Ours are older models from this line https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/c/B421/

Electric bikes are being heavily promoted now, but I don’t agree. If you want exercise, pedal!

I pedal just as much with my e-bike as I did with my regular bike but I have the option to use assistance going up a hill. I could also use the throttle only if I have a lot of pain mid-ride so I can get home when I wouldn't be able to otherwise. Having an e-bike definitely does not mean you don't pedal. I use the same cadence as with a regular bike.

.... Pedal-assist makes it too easy to go faster than the rider’s skill level and when something unexpected happens (need to slow/stop suddenly, change in riding surface, etc) the rider hasn’t developed the balance and/or technique to safely navigate and down they go.

I don't know what other states have, but Illinois has a maximum speed for pedal assist bikes at 20mph. And my ebike will not go faster than that - maybe 21 mph if I'm going down a steep hill.

I've had several conventional bikes that exceeded 20 mph. So a conventional bike can go faster than a pedal assist ebike - at least here in Illinois. And after riding an ebike for the past 2 years, I now find the ebike safer to ride than my last 2 conventional Trek bikes.

That said, ebikes take a while to get used to. There is more acceleration on an ebike when you first start pedaling compared to a conventional bike - especially if you start off at the high level of electric assist. I don't notice it much anymore. I suspect most ebike accidents happen when riders have the assist set too high upon take-off.

I got DW (an extreme biking novice) an ebike, and she picked it up fairly easily.

Last edited:
I pedal just as much with my e-bike as I did with my regular bike but I have the option to use assistance going up a hill. I could also use the throttle only if I have a lot of pain mid-ride so I can get home when I wouldn't be able to otherwise. Having an e-bike definitely does not mean you don't pedal. I use the same cadence as with a regular bike.
I realize people pedal eBikes, but if you’re buying a bike for exercise, just pedal an unassisted bike and spare the expense. If you go up hills slowly, so what. And you can plan routes so you can be assured of getting home. We do it all the time…

Back
Top Bottom