What’s your 17

I support the right to peaceably assemble and to seek redress, etc. Granted, many of those students have only a modest understanding of the various issues surrounding the interpretation and implementation of the second amendment, but that could be said about supposed adults as well...

As for the 17 thing, I’m all for civility and empathy, for embracing diversity and differences, and for calling out or confronting bullying. But in some ways it’s a deflection from the issues of violence, mental illness, gun laws/regulations, school security, etc., telling these youngsters and teachers to just be nicer next time, and maybe some lunatic won’t shoot you... They have every right to demand that these issues are addressed.

+1

Thanks for the informative discussion, everyone. It’s good to see discussion stay on topic and not swerve into political bantering. The moderator team would appreciate that future posts continue to foster a healthy discussion such that the topic can continue to be discussed.

To paraphrase a quote somewhat cheekily,

"It is better to light one (17) candle(s) than to curse the <bleeping> darkness."

This generation will be the fixers--every 4 generations.

I'm the mother of teenagers. My sons' high school did not allow consequence free walkouts off campus. Some students chose to walk to the front of the school (off campus) on the sidewalk, for the 17 minutes. Others chose to go to the school auditorium where they could speak about the issues of school violence, etc. Others stayed in the classroom and listened as the 17 names were read over the loudspeaker followed by a moment of silence.

I am pleased with the way the school handled it. For those uninformed students, the auditorium was a great solution - there were some very thoughtful suggestions/ideas suggested by students who had given the topic a lot of thought.

For what it's worth, one of my sons went to the auditorium (which is how I know what was discussed), another chose to walk out. The son that walked out for 17 minutes will take the consequence of required "Saturday School" - 4 hours at school on a Saturday. He's ok with that, and so am I.

They are both thoughtful kids who understand consequences of actions. They made their choices themselves.

I'm the mother of teenagers. My sons' high school did not allow consequence free walkouts off campus. Some students chose to walk to the front of the school (off campus) on the sidewalk, for the 17 minutes. Others chose to go to the school auditorium where they could speak about the issues of school violence, etc. Others stayed in the classroom and listened as the 17 names were read over the loudspeaker followed by a moment of silence.

I am pleased with the way the school handled it. For those uninformed students, the auditorium was a great solution - there were some very thoughtful suggestions/ideas suggested by students who had given the topic a lot of thought.

For what it's worth, one of my sons went to the auditorium (which is how I know what was discussed), another chose to walk out. The son that walked out for 17 minutes will take the consequence of required "Saturday School" - 4 hours at school on a Saturday. He's ok with that, and so am I.

They are both thoughtful kids who understand consequences of actions. They made their choices themselves.

You are a great mentor to your kids.

I really have no problem with the kids walking out today as long as they are doing it to genuinely raise awareness of an issue they believe in. It's a form of learning, just as much as the academics they are learning in the classrooms. I was disappointed to see some schools threatening repercussions for students who want to participate in today's activities. It's a half hour away from the classroom. They'll survive.
+1

Those were good, non-disruptive options for helping the students deal, in a mature way, with a horrifying event that makes everyone feel like "it could happen here too." Sounds like a thoughtful school administration.

I like your style mom and brought up right we need to let them make their own decisions. We may not like their actions but as a parent we know we have to except their choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone should have the right to protest, and I don't think missing an hour or two of school is going to hurt anyone in the long run. However, I guess I am a pessimist to think the entire student body believes that strongly in any cause. WAY back when I was in school we had one or two walk outs for reasons I don't even remember. I had no interest for or against the cause, but I joined in just to take a break from school. I have a hard time believing today's youth would be any different. Yeah, there's probably a small minority who feel very strongly about it, the rest are most likely just going with the flow.

I see protests on the news every day for homelessness, women's rights, political issues, etc. But, I have to wonder how effective they really are. Sadly, I can't remember a single protest that actually resulted in any long lasting changes. To the contrary, many just turn into an excuse for a few undesirables to vandalize property and businesses who have no part in the issue. Or they block roads causing gridlock for commuters who just want to get home.

+1

I wish the time was spent studying the Constitution and the Federalist Papers.

+1

For fun, sometimes before class officially starts (and before getting to that boring computer science stuff) I ask my class an easy question regarding US history. I am constantly amazed at the lack of basic knowledge regarding the constitution, bill of rights, as well as major historical events.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
-- George Santayana (Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás)

I am constantly amazed at the lack of basic knowledge regarding the constitution, bill of rights, as well as major historical events.

One of the more enlightening classes I took in college was a class in Constitutional Law. At the time I'd been working in law enforcement for well over a decade so I was very familiar with the parts having to do with those issues, but I think relatively few people realize how much the Constitution permeates almost every facet of American life and not just the criminal justice system.

Them folks that wrote it were pretty smart dudes.

One of the more enlightening classes I took in college was a class in Constitutional Law. At the time I'd been working in law enforcement for well over a decade so I was very familiar with the parts having to do with those issues, but I think relatively few people realize how much the Constitution permeates almost every facet of American life and not just the criminal justice system.

Them folks that wrote it were pretty smart dudes.

I took two semesters of Con Law as an undergrad. Convinced me my plans to go to law school needed to be revised. :)

How do you know those kids haven't read their Hamilton and Madison already?

I'm sure those kids and most adults haven't read one iota of the tyranny our fore fathers suffered; unjustified search and seizure, taxation without representation, quartering of troops in your households while they ate you out of house and home, to name a few.

Actually, I would expect the learning to be quite fresh in the young minds.

In my high school, we read the Federalist Papers and held a two-week-long mock Constitutional Convention.

Recently, a high school student of my acquaintance played John Adams defending the British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre ("Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.") The project involved a lot of research and inspired an interest in where our modern laws come from, and the dilemma of whether to be a "patriot" for America or Great Britain.

It was amazing to hear a teenager speculate about how some people at that time might have felt bullied and peer-pressured into abandoning the Crown they'd been taught to revere. The kids learned that great issues are never as clear-cut as we'd like.

One tiny caveat: Not that many Americans can consider the founders to be, in any sense, our forefathers. That's just a vocabulary quibble, though...not a dig at you ;) I know what you meant.

I'm sure those kids and most adults haven't read one iota of the tyranny our fore fathers suffered; unjustified search and seizure, taxation without representation, quartering of troops in your households while they ate you out of house and home, to name a few.

It was amazing to hear a teenager speculate about how some people at that time might have felt bullied and peer-pressured into abandoning the Crown they'd been taught to revere. The kids learned that great issues are never as clear-cut as we'd like.

There were many Colonists loyal to the crown. Quite a few fled to New York City, which was a loyalist stronghold during the revolutionary war.

As with most things, there where people loyal to the crown, against the crown, and many who didn't care. The participation rate in the colonial army and other militias was about 15% of the Colonialist population.

Some sad old people on this site.

Why is that? Because some people don't agree with you? Because some people think that the mob shouldn't rule, or that enumerated rights need to be protected? Does that make them "sad old people"?

Hey, I thought it was important to not call people names on these forums. I'd consider "sad old" to not be very engaging if one really wants a fruitful discussion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom