What screws are these? What to do?

I am assuming keeping this frame partially or fully assembled isn't an option (probably a dumb question, huh :) )? Seems like a major headache to disassemble and then reassembly may be nigh impossible if holes get stripped or wood gets chipped/separated around the connection points.

A lot of assemble at home furniture isn't designed to be deconstructed completely once assembled (which makes it cheaper and lighter but less versatile).

Fuego,

Not a dumb question at all. We may have to go that route, although it will make moving and storage more complicated. The older bed is simple to take apart, store, and reassemble, and it has been, multiple times. I think we can be forgiven for assuming that if we bought the same bed 10 years later, it would be...well, the same bed. But it isn't, and that's that.

Thanks,

Amethyst

I am assuming keeping this frame partially or fully assembled isn't an option (probably a dumb question, huh :) )? Seems like a major headache to disassemble and then reassembly may be nigh impossible if holes get stripped or wood gets chipped/separated around the connection points.

A lot of assemble at home furniture isn't designed to be deconstructed completely once assembled (which makes it cheaper and lighter but less versatile).

Not sure why you said it wasn't Torx before, but it's a star? Torx = star, it's the same thing! Torx is the trademarked name of the star head.

It looked like one I had trouble with that did not fit any of my Torx screwdrivers, though it looked close. I was unfamiliar with the "Star" terminology. The link I found was selling "Star" screws with no mention of Torx. I'm thinking of a wider inner hole and more rounded outer tabs than a Torx.

From OP: "I don't think they are pure Allens, and they could be Torxes, but the six points aren't very distinctive."

List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could be "Line" or "Polydrive" as well. Or maybe the larger Torx just look different than the smaller ones. Or maybe it's proprietary.

Last edited:
Fuego,

Not a dumb question at all. We may have to go that route, although it will make moving and storage more complicated. The older bed is simple to take apart, store, and reassemble, and it has been, multiple times. I think we can be forgiven for assuming that if we bought the same bed 10 years later, it would be...well, the same bed. But it isn't, and that's that.

Thanks,

Amethyst

If it isn't too late and the frame isn't disassembled yet, you may want to label the various parts beforehand. (For example, label a piece of paper then masking tape the paper on the part). That' way you'd know part "A" is connected to "B" etc. Maybe even sketch out the parts with labels as reference when you put it back together in the future.

I didn't read all the posts but if it hasn't been suggested then there is a drill bit called an "easy out" that will drill a hole in the screw/bolt in the opposite direction. When you go to remove the bit it will bite into the screw and removal is easy. This is often used by mechanics for stripped screws, bolts or bolts that the head has twisted off. You should be able to find this at an automotive store or hardware store. Handy little buggers.

Cheers!

Yep...even labeled the parts that we were able to disassemble. Some of them had labels, some didn't. And the screws have been taped together with "right side" screws in one package, and "left side" screws in another.
I made a little map of the whole contraption in my notebook, too.

Amethyst

If it isn't too late and the frame isn't disassembled yet, you may want to label the various parts beforehand. (For example, label a piece of paper then masking tape the paper on the part). That' way you'd know part "A" is connected to "B" etc. Maybe even sketch out the parts with labels as reference when you put it back together in the future.

As you have already discovered, Torx works. There is a variation of these screws called Torx+ that has the same six pointed star shape except that the bases of the points are wider and the end points of the star are filled in. Imagine a six toothed gear and you will get an idea of what the driver bit looks like.

FWIW, every Phillips or slotted screw gets replaced by either Torx or Robertson screws in my house. Robertson bits are like the square ones with a slight cam that seats the screw for one handed operation.

The last two screws that people need to know about are annuities and taxes.

Why in the world are there so many combinations of screw types to choose from? Phillips, flat head, star, etc.

Just to complicate our lives? :blush:

Why in the world are there so many combinations of screw types to choose from? Phillips, flat head, star, etc.

Just to complicate our lives? :blush:

Yes, it is a conspiracy by screw manufacturers. Kinda like the haberdashers that had JFK assassinated.

Back
Top Bottom