What was your earliest memory of life?

Vickyp

Confused about dryer sheets
I think one of the earliest memories was when my mum was going out to work and asked my brother to take a pizza out of the oven in 15 minutes , I was about 8/9 at this point

I remember quite a few scenes from age one to three. Like being taken out for a walk in my pram and meeting the neighbours; the day I fell off a chair, got a large bump on my head, and had skull X-rays at the Accident and Emergency Department; getting my smallpox vaccine from Dr. Ellis, whose bushy eyebrows scared me more than the vaccine.........etc, etc. I also remember how elegantly my mother dressed.

We moved when I was 4, and all this was prior to the move.

Last edited:
I was about 5 and was starting school after we moved to Connecticut from the coal mining region of Pennsylvania. I recall being sent home from school because I could not speak English. Memories before that are not clear.

I recall my mom feeding me baby food from one of those Gerbers jars, and being fussy about one I didn't like. Maybe around age 2.

I can remember a few of my more memorable days of my Kindergarten class. I guess that was when I was 5 or 6. Usually when I was being corrected for something I was (or wasn't) doing. I guess that made a mental mark, but didn't change my behavior much.

Thinking about this, I can remember everyone of my teachers names from elementary school and I can still "see" their faces. All old ladies. Well, they seemed old to me then.

Last edited:
I have a few very vague memories prior to 4 years old. One is riding my spring rocking horse and the other is washing my red ridding car... again very very vague... I do remember vividly asking my dad how old I was on my 4th B-day and him showing me how to hold up 4 figures so I could show people how old I was. I will never forget my mother reaction when she read the morning paper that Robert Kennedy was shot. She was very upset and left a big impression on me. I was 5 years old then... and of course the moon landing. I remember going outside to look at the moon to see if I could see them... Those are my earliest vivid memories as a child...

I was about 4 - I remember a play date with a distant cousin (or second cousin or some such). Point being, she was a girl! Eek! :LOL:

My aunt lived at the beach in an old log cabin, with a wood burning kitchen stove and a wringer washer out on the deck. I can remember my aunt bathing me in the kitchen sink. I was probably less than two at the time. One year the houses all flooded and my parents drove over to help clean the sand out of the house and get everything working. No one to babysit, so I was stuck out in a playpen on the deck, watching the grown ups.

I swear I remember being in the womb. One memory I have for sure is crying during a thunderstorm and my dad yelling at me (he was mean when he was younger) and my mother yelling at him then she picked me up and rocked me. I was about 7 or 8 months old. I mentioned it to her when I was a teen and she could believe I remembered that.

I had my appendix taken out when I was 5(?) I remember standing on the railing of the bed to look out a porthole kind of window at the nurses station .
After surgery I was probably not climbing the furniture.
In kindergarten a teacher from an older group brought in a hysterical girl ,maybe 13 , and told her to stay with the babies if she was going to cry like one. Scary for us-teacher of the year award not claimed.

I don't think I remember anything from the house I lived for nearly the first 3 years, but I can remember a few things from the next house we rented for about a year or less, so I can remember back to 4.

I suspect I'm some sort of oddity (or just plumb crazy). I remember crawling because I couldn't walk, being in my crib, carriage, my bassinet and so on. Dozens of memories.

My earliest memory is when I was about 7-8 months old. I know this because my mom took me to see my dad at work and he changed jobs just before I was 9 months old. I can still see the whole thing in my mind. I was outside in my carriage and a lady (mom) looked in at me and pointed up at a window where my dad was and waved at me.

Further down, I remember my dad sitting on the floor with me telling me that I was going to have a new brother come home tomorrow...I was 2 1/2 but that was like yesterday.

And I can still name all the kids in my kindergarten class.

After a few drinks I'll tell you that I can remember being born. (Really) It was not a visual but a 'feeling' of being all scrunched up tiny-tiny and then feeling some 'immense'-ness (hard to describe) with a lot of noise.

Last edited:
I have some memories from age 4. One is being at a nursery school and going to that school on one of those colored school buses. Also at age 4 is being on an airplane (Yellowbird Airlines) for the first time and staying with my parents at a hotel in Hollywood, Florida.

I suspect I'm some sort of oddity (or just plumb crazy). I remember crawling because I couldn't walk, being in my crib, carriage, my bassinet and so on. Dozens of memories.

My earliest memory is when I was about 7-8 months old. I know this because my mom took me to see my dad at work and he changed jobs just before I was 9 months old. I can still see the whole thing in my mind. I was outside in my carriage and a lady (mom) looked in at me and pointed up at a window where my dad was and waved at me.

Further down, I remember my dad sitting on the floor with me telling me that I was going to have a new brother come home tomorrow...I was 2 1/2 but that was like yesterday.

After a few drinks I'll tell you that I can remember being born. (Really) It was not a visual but a 'feeling' of being all scrunched up tiny-tiny and then feeling some 'immense'-ness (hard to describe) with a lot of noise.

Wow! if you read the Wiki page linked above, studies indicate the memory under ~4 years old is not common. Remember being born? Now that's really a trip!

That's pretty cool!

I can sort of pinpoint this one, we were walking home, from the worlds fair, I was sitting on my dads shoulders eating an ice cream, the scoop of ice cream fell out of the cone and hit my dad in his hair. Even at that young age I had an "ut oh" moment. He took me off his shoulders, took his handkerchief and he wiped off his hair. He then put me back on his shoulders and we continued on home. So im born April of 62, the worlds fair was 64 and 65. I probably was 3.

Last edited:

It's called a "hangover." :LOL:

Not much. I can remember Christmas morning preschool years. Probably 3-4 range. Nothing significant, just the excitement of the morning.

My first 4+ years I was housed in a poor Pennsylvania coal mining town living in poverty with my mother and grandmother (who didn't speak English). I'm kind of glad I don't remember any of that, although I have visited the place in the past and saw we didn't have an indoor bathroom or heat (coal stove in kitchen).

I do recall being handed a chocolate bar around the time I entered school and I didn't know what it was and the kids were laughing at me. But once I learned English, I had it all figured out!! (haha)

I can remember vividly the day my older sister first went to kindergarten. I was upset that I couldn't go as well. I would have been about 3 years and 9 months old at the time. I have quite a few memories probably prior to the age of 4 but it is hard to put a good approximation of age along with most of them.

Back
Top Bottom