What was your happiest moment today?

I figured out how to use Prime Video on our TVs. My DH can now watch one of his favorite shows.

Our pickleball group had a holiday lunch with a “steal a gift” game. I started with a golf umbrella, but was able to trade that for a nice baseball cap with “Pickleball” embroidered on the front.

Played Pickleball at a new place today. Was told I am in the 4.0 category, so made my day.
Felt such a rush after playing for over 3 hours indoors.

Woohoo! That’s a nice milestone.

We’ve been playing for a couple of months with an invitation-only 3.5+ group. We weren’t really 3.5 when we started but someone must have seen the potential for improvement and let us in. We have improved a lot and fit in much better now, but I’m not sure if we have made it to 3.5 yet.

After the gym and lunch, we went out to the boat launch to watch the sailboats and sea gulls on Lake Ponchartrain. Actually this photo was taken yesterday, but today was a repeat of yesterday for the sailboats and birds.

150423.jpg

The photo does not show as many of them as there were, or how close they got to us. There were hundreds of them! I counted over 40 sitting on the water, and at least twice as many flying. And they were all having a lovely time. Those sitting on the water were having such fun splashing themselves by flapping their wings now and then. Good way to cool off in 82 degrees.

Also there were ducks, which mostly sat on the rocks at the shoreline (barely visible doing that in the photo), or else were calmly paddling across the water. And then, one or two very large ravens, who seemed to stay a little bit away from the other birds.

There were five sailboats but none in the photo I guess.

This was so much fun and we feel relaxed and happy while watching them, so this was my happiest moment of the day so far.

I was SO happy today! DW & I moved into our new (well, can new to us anyway) retirement home last week, but today was the first day that really FELT like retirement to me. I woke up on this fine Monday at 10:30 (10:30!) a.m. & it dawned on me that most adults in the U.S. are working today, but I'm not. I then got up and had my favorite breakfast since I was a kid - a bowl of Cocoa Krispies. It seemed to me that the world couldn't get a whole lot better than that. ��

3 pm today entered our snow filled driveway in KC and unpacking our Florida shirts after a week near Naples on the beach. :D :LOL: :dance: ER means you can pick and choose. Wife draws the line at ski lodging though. :rolleyes: ;)

heh heh heh - :cool:

I was SO happy today! DW & I moved into our new (well, can new to us anyway) retirement home last week, but today was the first day that really FELT like retirement to me. I woke up on this fine Monday at 10:30 (10:30!) a.m. & it dawned on me that most adults in the U.S. are working today, but I'm not. I then got up and had my favorite breakfast since I was a kid - a bowl of Cocoa Krispies. It seemed to me that the world couldn't get a whole lot better than that. ��

Nice post. You will have this feeling many days.

Woohoo! That’s a nice milestone.

We’ve been playing for a couple of months with an invitation-only 3.5+ group. We weren’t really 3.5 when we started but someone must have seen the potential for improvement and let us in. We have improved a lot and fit in much better now, but I’m not sure if we have made it to 3.5 yet.

Sounds good overall. You will get there. It is such a great sport with varying strategies and nuances.
The ratings are definitely somewhat subjective, unless one plays in tournaments regularly.
I choose to play against better competition from time to time, but have no interest in competing in tournaments, as that would be stressful for me and against my retirement mode. lol

Opening the blackout blinds in my bedroom this morning, and having a crystal clear view over snow-capped mountains perfectly lit by the rising sun. The best thing: I didn't have to leave the warmth of my bed to enjoy the view (the blinds are remote-controlled).

Last edited:
I can relate to this as I have dogs that compete as well. Do you do field trials with your beagles? Those are a blast.

No field trials yet. Right now, not quite 5 months old, she is learning how to be in the show ring. Well, *we* are learning.

For my happiest moment of the day on Sunday, (I’m a bit late), I was pleased when she placed 3rd in the Hound Group, out of 4, at a local fun match. She was in the ring with a bloodhound, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and a dachshund, and she did great.

She was the only beagle in the match, so she also won first place and best of variety ribbons. :D

The weekend before, she was 3rd out of 3 beagles. She got a squeaky toy for that from the judge, and I awarded her a mental A+ for not leaving anything wet or dry in the ring.

Missed being on a jury by one seat yesterday. It was going to be a sad trial to hear.

And enjoying our new furniture that arrived last Friday. Replaced a 30 year old dining table and 20 year old couches.

Got a Christmas card from a high school friend who lives in FL. She put her phone # in the card and I immediately called her. Our conversation was like I saw her yesterday. Haven't talked to her in years. Sadly, her health is not so good but her voice and mood were just like in high school. She is one of the most positive people I know. I hope the best for her. She does have one of those semi indoor pools (screen with option of glass enclosure) and hot tub in her house for her arthritis. It's a big pool, she said it's hard to take care of.

Thanks for this thread.
Today I was happy reflecting on a statement from another site:
"Retirement is about doing what you always wanted to do."
I realized that I don't agree at all. Retirement is about doing what you want today.
No way I'm chasing the dreams of 30YO me. 62YO me is much better prepared to be happy now.

Today I'm having tree service people trim some major limbs off 100+' maple, looming over cabin, septic tank, and drain field (they have to lower large pieces of limbs with ropes). Danger part is over, and I cooked a couple of high quality frozen pizzas and offered it to them, saying no obligation if they have other plans. They wanted it and seemed grateful. There's no place close for food here so going out would have been a big interruption. It's fun to feed hard working people doing a difficult job very well.

Happiest moment today was going on a snowshoe hike with my father. For lunch, we had a picnic while basking in the sunlight and enjoying a sensational view over Mont Blanc. After living away for 22 years and seeing my father only once a year, I am really grateful for the opportunity to share such moments with him.

Danger part is over, and I cooked a couple of high quality frozen pizzas and offered it to them, saying no obligation if they have other plans. They wanted it and seemed grateful.

I can assure you that they were grateful and will remember you for a long time. Way back when I was doing heating & A/C service (early 1970's) on one 4-hour job replacing an A/C compressor (took two guys to carry the thing then) the very nice lady of the house fixed us lunch. That consisted of a couple of bologna sandwiches, some potato chips, and I think iced tea. No big deal, right?

Yeah, it's a big deal. In the two years that I was doing that kind of work that one lady was the only one who ever did anything like that, which is of course why I remember it.

I beat my 19 year old today in ping pong. He's home from college for the Christmas break. I evidently don't have it like I used to and he mercifully let's me win once in a while.

Met a couple at lunch yesterday and during conversation I mentioned that a new hobby of mine was baking bread. He mentioned he was from West Virginia and really missed a local baked item known as a West Virginia pepperoni roll. He was really happy when I phoned him today and told him I got a recipe off the internet and had my first attempt just out of the oven. I took over a batch for them to sample. He was very thankful for my efforts. I am happy because I think I made some new friends today.

2 things....I walked out the door from work on vacation until next year....sheer joy !.

When I got home, my 20 year old son was bouncing ideas off of me for investments, we talked about Bitcoin, and what his plans are....better than leaving work !

I was at work today, in a meeting with colleagues (I’m a lead) and our director. After the meeting, people were saying their goodbyes, and wishing each other a nice holiday (in education, so the holiday break starts tomorrow). I wished a colleague a good break and her eyes welled up in tears. I, of course, asked her what was wrong and this is how she responded: “I’m so grateful for everything you do for us. You’re a wonderful leader and I just can’t tell you how much I appreciate you”.

Back
Top Bottom