What you consider *superior* products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine cost eight hundred bucks. After 1 year I'm even compared to "pod" machines.

A "cup a joe" costs me thirty cents and that's custom fresh roast from Coffee Bean Direct in New Jersey.

A fantastic value - :)

How do you guys drink all that expresso and then sleep that night? You must not be in your 60's yet.

I get that question all the time. I can drink a few cups of coffee at 4:00 in the afternoon and sleep well that night. I can drink a small amount of coffee after dinner (say an espresso or one small cup) and sleep well that night.
Yes, I am well into my 60's. I attribute this to a clear conscious and good habits. ;)

Years ago, lady sitting next to me at a restaurant in France was shocked! when I asked the waiter to bring me an espresso after the meal. She was so upset and fussed so much about it I thought she was going to physically keep me from drinking it. I guess watching a person drink coffee after noon kept her up?!?!

I did make the mistake of asking for the espresso while dessert was on the table, a big NoNo. :nonono: It almost precipitated an international incident, but I acquiesced at the end and did it the French way. :angel:

Back to the subject of this thread, my Jura coffee maker is quite a wonderful machine. It has worked reliably for at least 7 years, and makes a great cup of coffee. I attribute this to the fact that every cup is fresh, as well as the general brewing process. While expensive to buy, I save a ton on the beans since I get my beans at Costco. No need to pay $10 for a 12 once bag when the Jura can turn $5 a pound beans into excellent coffee. And, compared to the pods, it is an even cheaper alternative in the long run.

Last edited:
I can drink a few cups of coffee at 4:00 in the afternoon and sleep well that night. I can drink a small amount of coffee after dinner (say an espresso or one small cup) and sleep well that night.
Yes, I am well into my 60's.
You must have the body of a 20-year-old! I am SO envious. Enjoy, and drink an extra cup of expresso tonight just for those of us who can't even have a cup of weak coffee after noon. :)

No need to pay $10 for a 12 once bag when the Jura can turn $5 a pound beans into excellent coffee. And, compared to the pods, it is an even cheaper alternative in the long run.

There's some pretty good coffee out there in the $5-6/lb range. I've been buying 5lb bags of Don Pablo Signature Blend- Whole Bean from Amazon for less than $30 and with my $25 Aeropress makes an excellent cup of coffee IMO. I would also include the Aeropress coffee maker in my 'superior product' list.

Last edited:
Does the Exobar make a just a cup of coffee? I haven't gotten into lattes, expressos, or cappuccinos yet but I am more than willing to start. There weren't many *bucks on the way to the mine; and the ones at the malls always had long lines.

Funny how I felt $6 was too much for a cup of coffee, but wouldn't think twice on a $75 bottle of wine. I know how much work goes into a bottle of premium wine.

You must have the body of a 20-year-old! /QUOTE]

<Puffing Up Chest>

Well, I've been told I'm not bad for an old guy in his 60's. Just don't ask me to carry you over a mud puddle, or my back and knees will be out for a month. :D

<letting air out of lungs>

Some people simply process caffeine at different rates. Apparently, my body disposes of the stuff rather quickly. OTOH, two beers and I am under the table. :eek:

Some people simply process caffeine at different rates. Apparently, my body disposes of the stuff rather quickly.

That's funny, I have coffee and suddenly I find myself needing to dispose of stuff rather quickly too. :angel:

You must have the body of a 20-year-old!

<Puffing Up Chest>

Well, I've been told I'm not bad for an old guy in his 60's. Just don't ask me to carry you over a mud puddle, or my back and knees will be out for a month. :D

<letting air out of lungs>

Some people simply process caffeine at different rates. Apparently, my body disposes of the stuff rather quickly. OTOH, two beers and I am under the table. :eek:
Yesterday I felt rebellious and had a diet Coke at lunch (first one in months). I went to bed 11 hours later and fell asleep immediately! So maybe there is hope for me after all. :LOL: Usually it takes about 13 hours for me to fall asleep after drinking a diet Coke or coffee.

I know I must have some decaf around here somewhere so I think I might look for it this afternoon. For a while I was so sensitive to caffeine that even decaf was a problem, but maybe that's not the case any more.

Does the Exobar make a just a cup of coffee? I haven't gotten into lattes, expressos, or cappuccinos yet but I am more than willing to start. There weren't many *bucks on the way to the mine; and the ones at the malls always had long lines.

The Expobar machine is a semi-automatic espresso machine that makes great shots of espresso, steams milk, and dispenses hot water. It's pretty hands-on and is not unlike what you would find in a good espresso shop. There was a bit of a learning curve, especially in steaming milk properly.

But I like doing things hands-on the hard way. I brew beer from grain, I like making bread (and pizza) from scratch, made jelly and jam, and even cheese once or twice.

Going back to the OP, I like vintage Tupperware. Found at numerous yard sales and thrift stores, many times for pennies (I found a huge ham/turkey keeper for 25 cents last week!). If you buy stuff in good condition, it still works great, and is nearly bulletproof. Should one fail, use the lifetime warranty.

Of course, I realize not everyone is a thrifter.......

Going back to the OP, I like vintage Tupperware. Found at numerous yard sales and thrift stores, many times for pennies (I found a huge ham/turkey keeper for 25 cents last week!). If you buy stuff in good condition, it still works great, and is nearly bulletproof. Should one fail, use the lifetime warranty.

Have to be careful with the older Tupperware, some of their products sold prior to 2010 contains BPA.

Have to be careful with the older Tupperware, some of their products sold prior to 2010 contains BPA.

Good point....but so far:

Cyclamate
Asbestos
DDT
Radon Gas
Lead Based Paint
PBB in milk
Aspartame in Diet Coke
MSG
cell phone radiation to the brain
no seat belts, or padded dashboards (in cars while a child/teen)
and riding bikes without helmets (as a kid)

haven't killed me yet.....

Good point....but so far:

Cyclamate
Asbestos
DDT
Radon Gas
Lead Based Paint
PBB in milk
Aspartame in Diet Coke
MSG
cell phone radiation to the brain
no seat belts, or padded dashboards (in cars while a child/teen)
and riding bikes without helmets (as a kid)

haven't killed me yet.....

Similar thinking that many who still smoke use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom