What you do when stranger comes to your door?

At my current place someone would have to pass through 3 iron security gates before he could knock on my steel apartment door. Hasn't happened, and I don't think it will.

It is quite a secure feeling.

Ha

I live in quiet, low crime suburbia. I should replace the exterior doors with good ones, but I feel secure anyway. If the dog does not get you, the buckshot will.

Really careful & unsocial

After reading your responses I have to say I agree with not answering the door. But I go a step further in that I won't answer the telephone either, especially when it shows up on Caller ID as "Unavailable" or it is a
toll free area code. I used to feel badly, but then I realized they are intruding and bothering me; not the other way around.
Prof12

Since our town requires a permit to go door to door, if the bell rings and I see a person on the porch without an ID tag prominantly displayed, I call 911 pronto. The last two times I did this, they had the person in the back seat of the squad car within minutes, usually by the time they got to the next house. I'm sure they just checked their ID, advised them that soliciting door to door without a permit was not allowed and drove them to wherever they belonged.

The permit policy applies to everyone. local Cub Scouts, Little League, Cheerleaders, petty politicians, Muslims for Peace, Evangelists, bag draggers, whoever. No mercy. You want to ring bells on our block without registering with the police, you're going to get a tour of the back seat of the squad. I love it.
Where I live, 911 is limited to actual emergencies. If I called 911 to report an unlicensed Cub Scout, I might wind up in the back of the cruiser myself, at any rate if I continued to do it after being cautioned.

I work from home, and never realized how many people solicit during the day when I'd been working in the real office.

I found this on the internet, made it into a snazzy Power Point, and this hangs on our front door.

This household charges $20 per minute (paid in advance) to listen to any sales pitch, religious talk, reasons we should vote for your candidate or cause, or anything else. No exceptions. You think we’re joking? If you do not wish to pay the consequences, do not disturb.

Every once in a while I get an illiterate salesperson, in which case I very firmly READ it to them. :)

Back
Top Bottom